Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Hello all,

I am receiving a Canon HV20 soon and look forward to creating some great moments. Is Quicktime Pro necessary for anything, or will I be fine with iMovie HD and/or iMovie '08 (I have both)?

I won't be creating movies, or short films, or any of those types of things. I got this camera for family videos as well as once in a while going outside and taking some videos of nature around me. Is there any other software I should look into that is decently priced?

Thanks!

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Thanks! I don't even know what benefits Quicktime Pro would bring me... Anyone know?

JNB

macrumors 604
It's handy when you want to encode something that's easily transferred or published via the web; all the recipient needs is QT Player, which is free. Other than that, it has limited use to the average person, but for 30 bones, it's not bad to have around. I paid for mine a few years ago, only needed it on rare occasions, but for those it was the best (and easiest) tool for the job.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
Thanks! I don't even know what benefits Quicktime Pro would bring me... Anyone know?

Pro has a number of features for editing and exporting video and audio. I like being able to cut, copy and paste content. You can easily export files for web, mobile, email or whatever. Record with iSight too. It's a cheap upgrade and I'm glad I bought it.

Check out http://www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/ for yourself to see all the features.

Watch out for QT add-ons such as flip4mac. I tried it a while back and it put an ugly flip4mac watermark on all my exports. I promptly removed flip from my mac.

peeeter

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2005
Hello all,

I won't be creating movies, or short films, or any of those types of things. I got this camera for family videos as well as once in a while going outside and taking some videos of nature around me. Is there any other software I should look into that is decently priced?

You might also want to get Keynote to make better titles than iMovie enables. There is a demo in http://imovietricks.blogspot.com/

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Watch out for QT add-ons such as flip4mac. I tried it a while back and it put an ugly flip4mac watermark on all my exports. I promptly removed flip from my mac.
This is not appear during playback of .wmv files that you receive from other sources. The paid version of Flip4Mac removes it from your exports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.