PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro issue with Graphics cards

suprajoe
Oct 28, 2008, 08:25 PM
I have a Mac Pro, dual 2.8, 10Gig, 2 ATI HD 2600 XT. So, if you look at the image, it only shows 1 card.

http://www.suprajoe.com/images/SysProfiler.jpg

So I have 4 24" Acer LCDs that I use and now two of them work. Well, most of the time. It is odd, sometimes my Mac sees both graphics cards and sometimes it doesn't. I was doing to self troubleshooting and noticed that it looses the 2nd card after the computer has been put to sleep and then restarted. Odd. This is why I started looking at the problem. I was using Final Cut Express to do some minor editing when I was trying to use the Line Art video filter...it told me "The effect "Line Art" failed to render: Your hardware cannot render at the requested size and depth. Now this is crazy, as I was trying to find the actual message it was giving me in Final Cut Express...it didn't give me that message..it actually work, however, the Mac is only seeing the one video card.

So, bad video card? PCIe slot? Any wild ideas? I am going to go and see the Apple store tomorrow, just thought I would see what any of you think. You never know the knowledge of the guys/gals in the store.

grue
Oct 28, 2008, 10:13 PM
Tried swapping the cards around?

suprajoe
Oct 30, 2008, 09:47 AM
grue: I tried that and the card didn't work.

So I went to the Apple store and talked to a "Genius" and showed him the problem I was having. While all that was going on, my USB...all ports, decided to stop working! Crazy! They are working now so it is a sporadic thing. So he ordered a new video card and a new logic board.

I was thinking of just getting the new ATI 4850 or 4870, but I really don't do too much gaming or graphic intensive stuff. Oh well, Apple should be taking care of me!