Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewright1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
Hi All,

I have an issue that's been bothering me for a while now, and I can't seem to figure it out. I captured some video on my computer using iMovie (which was saved on my main hard drive). I've been trying to transfer that file over to my external hard drive for the past two weeks (trying every method possible) but I'm getting an error. The file is 60GB large and I've tried saving as, dragging over, compressing into smaller files using stuff it and a few other programs, everything, but I can't get it to work. Has someone ran into this issue before?

thewright1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
ugh, I figured that was the case, but seeing that my drive is now half full, I can't go in and re-format. I guess I'll have to buy another one and transfer that file over. Thanks for the response.

thewright1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
OK, so I just bought a new hard drive, and I'm looking at my options of reformatting under disk utilities and it looks like my options are:

MSDOS FAT (which is what I have on my other hard drive)
Mac OS Extended (various options with this one)

Now I was reading that Mac OS Extended allows you more than 65,000 files but in my case, I just need to have the ability to upload 1 extremely large file (60GB) successfully. Would Mac OS Extended be my best option to accomplish this, or is there something better that you all would recommend?

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
OK, so I just bought a new hard drive, and I'm looking at my options of reformatting under disk utilities and it looks like my options are:

MSDOS FAT (which is what I have on my other hard drive)
Mac OS Extended (various options with this one)

Now I was reading that Mac OS Extended allows you more than 65,000 files but in my case, I just need to have the ability to upload 1 extremely large file (60GB) successfully. Would Mac OS Extended be my best option to accomplish this, or is there something better that you all would recommend?

If you'll never use it on a PC, that's the one to use. It can handle some outrageous file size... larger than the drive itself IIRC.

thewright1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
I just got my new hard drive set up and everything is transferring over now (so far so good). Just as a side note, it's a little tricky to format using the Extended selection, I had to do a little research on it so if anyone comes across this issue, they can go to the link below:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7112065

and that will walk them through how to get it set up properly. Thanks again all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.