PDA

View Full Version : Apple touts Quicktime for cell phones

MacBytes
Feb 5, 2004, 06:44 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple touts Quicktime for cell phones (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040205074402)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

formatc
Feb 5, 2004, 08:59 AM
The phone companies love photo and video phones because they charge by the amount of data the customer uses.

The more data/bandwidth consumed, the more money they make.

An old word for this is "metered", and that's exactly what they are doing.

I'm not saying it is bad, just wanted to educate the masses, or the small few reading this.

Mr. Anderson
Feb 5, 2004, 10:03 AM
But just to fuel the rumor mill - you have to wonder if Apple isn't doing this for personal reasons :D

I don't think I'd want a video cell phone...that would be way to distracting...

D

michaelrjohnson
Feb 5, 2004, 04:08 PM
personally, i dont' need all the frills on my cell phone. i do want bluetooth, and my calendar. that's it. no camera, no extra stuff... that means extra money.

now, on topic, i hope that apple does increase it's "marketshare" in the media player realm. they need to keep their formats afloat during the upcoming years with the new online music revolution taking place. i dont want people to simply skip quicktime because wmp comes installed. i just hope they retain their lead in STANDARD-based media.

PS i don't think apple will come out with cell phone. ever.

Nermal
Feb 5, 2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by formatc
The phone companies love photo and video phones because they charge by the amount of data the customer uses.

The more data/bandwidth consumed, the more money they make.

An old word for this is "metered", and that's exactly what they are doing.

I'm not saying it is bad, just wanted to educate the masses, or the small few reading this.

Grr, I hate metered services. That's the main reason I don't have broadband yet, I'm not paying 20c per meg :(