PDA

View Full Version : The worst iPod. Ever.

maclover001
Oct 28, 2008, 11:39 PM
What do you think was Apple's worst iPod ever? Vote in the poll and explain your answer in the comments.

EDIT: What? You can't add polls after you post? What a rip...

eXan
Oct 29, 2008, 04:48 AM
1st gen Shuffle.

Too huge for only 0.5/1GB and no screen. Looked like cr@p.

dukebound85
Oct 29, 2008, 04:50 AM
What do you think was Apple's worst iPod ever? Vote in the poll and explain your answer in the comments.

EDIT: What? You can't add polls after you post? What a rip...

yes you can still add a poll. go to thread tools-create poll

however, here is a very similar thread
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=569272

nick9191
Oct 29, 2008, 05:03 AM
1st gen Shuffle.

No that was an awesome iPod. It was cheap, and very small for its time.

Oh and it had a USB port built in, no wires.

And far better in your hand than these new little dinky things. Sound quality was great as well.

Worst iPod was the fattie.

Sesshi
Oct 29, 2008, 05:07 AM
The 4/4.5G iPods were the worst of recent iPods. While the 3G was not exactly an audiophile's dream out of the headphone jack either, the 4G's forgot that it's about the music. The 4G was slightly worse than the 3G, and the 4.5G Photo added additional problems into the sound quality mix.

I think with the Classic, they've killed the HDD iPod. I have one but only for the capacity. The UI is sluggish, the click wheel is insensitive and it has none of the immediacy of navigation that everything <6G had. Seems like Apple put most of their 'regular iPod' R&D budget into the 4G Nano over the last year or so.

Pixellated
Oct 29, 2008, 05:10 AM
I don't think there is really an extremely bad iPod, I mean there a better ones, but no 'worst'.

chilipie
Oct 29, 2008, 05:17 AM
1st gen Shuffle.

I like my first gen shuffle. Well, liked - I haven't used it all since getting my second gen.

Dagless
Oct 29, 2008, 06:03 AM
I rather like my Shuffle, granted it's the 2G, 1gb model. Great for adventure usage where HDD's would otherwise be shook to pieces and expensive players might end up smashed or crushed.

My worst? Probably the Classic. Does not like the laggy interface and the look of the system. No white model? Sillllver?! It's not a 'classic iPod' if there's no white version.

iCantwait
Oct 29, 2008, 08:38 AM
tough question OP.

Probs the 6G...FUGLY (only on looks compared to the classic white of the original iPods)

cawesjmu
Oct 29, 2008, 10:32 AM
The third gen with the seperate buttons above the wheel that were touch sensitive only. Yuck, that one was no good. I was glad when they put the buttons back on (or around) the wheel.

SactoGuy18
Oct 29, 2008, 11:02 AM
I disliked the 1G nano because the case easily scratched and the battery life was nothing to write home about, too. That's why I like my 3G nano--I can get at least 21-22 hours of usage time per full charge. :)

duncanapple
Oct 29, 2008, 12:18 PM
You cant claim the original shuffle was bad now by comparing it to current iPods. The original mac is pretty worthless now compared to a brand new one, but at the time, it was pretty significant. Plus I think you may be overlooking what the lower end models do for the bottom line. Granted Apple may make a little less per unit, but they sell exponentially more. It can also serve as a "gateway" ipod - inexpensive to try it out, then upgrade to a more expensive nano/etc later. Not only that, but as said above, its better than the current shuffle in some ways. I have the new shuffle (hard to take the iphone to the gym) and hate that it requires another dock/cord on my desk - it would be nice if it directly plugged in like the old one.

My vote would be for the U2 ipod - THAT was pointless. Collecting things for collections sake has never been my thing though. And subjectively speaking (which i know is just my opinion) I think its pretty fugly.

The HP was a close second - it was sort of a failed attempt to introduce the ipod through a larger retail chain than Apple had at the time. I think the current apple store/best buy route is much better than rebranding it for HP. Not to mention the proliferation of online sales.

- Chris

Demosthenes X
Oct 29, 2008, 12:39 PM
My vote would be for the U2 ipod - THAT was pointless. Collecting things for collections sake has never been my thing though. And subjectively speaking (which i know is just my opinion) I think its pretty fugly.

I had the original U2 iPod. :D But I only bought that one because it was sale and I got it for a steal of a price. I did love it, though: at the time it was the only black iPod available, which for some was probably worth the premium you paid for it. I forget how much more it worked out to. If you actually bought the U2 songs I think it was like $50 more.

And, I think the black with red click wheel is still the sexiest iPod colour combo ever. :D

My least favourite iPod was the 2G Nano. That thing is ugly. I'm really glad they went back to the tall/thin style with the latest revision.

chilipie
Oct 29, 2008, 12:41 PM
My least favourite iPod was the 2G Nano. That thing is ugly. I'm really glad they went back to the tall/thin style with the latest revision.

The short, fat Nano was 3rd gen.

iParis
Oct 29, 2008, 12:42 PM
You should add the 6.5G iPod classic and both generations of the iPod touch.

jdmlight
Oct 29, 2008, 05:35 PM
My iPod Video was nothing but problems. The interface was laggy (particularly when playing music :rolleyes:) and its main board died shortly after one year. Not to mention how easily it scratched...

I have since gone back to my iPod Mini. What a dream that is...especially after a nice 32GB upgrade.:D

maclover001
Oct 29, 2008, 06:07 PM
You should add the 6.5G iPod classic and both generations of the iPod touch.

I don't consider the 6.5G Classic to be separate from the 6G because the only changes was in HDD capacity.
I'll add the Touches, but I doubt that anyone will choose them ;)

TwinCities Dan
Oct 29, 2008, 06:23 PM
"Cash moves everything around me, dollar dollar bills y'all, dollar dollar bills y'all" think about it
iCw

Just so you know, It's "Cash Rules Everything Around Me"

hence, the name "C.R.E.A.M." ;)

Demosthenes X
Oct 29, 2008, 06:47 PM
The short, fat Nano was 3rd gen.

Whoops. :o I forgot about that first revision.

The 3rd gen Nano, then. Ugliest iPod ever...

Koodauw
Oct 29, 2008, 06:54 PM
This is a really interesting poll. I said iPod 3G as it had the touch buttons which sucked. trying to using that thing on a walk to class in the winter was terrible. Thank goodness you could still use the remotes with that gen.

GimmeSlack12
Oct 29, 2008, 06:58 PM
3G definitely, the relocation of the buttons really made it less easy to use unless you looked at the thing.

Not sure why the iPod+HP is winning this poll, it was just a regular iPod 4G with HP tagged on it. Overall, the look of the iPod really hasn't changed much. The poll really should be: iPod, Touch, Mini, Nano, Shuffle.

Eddie.exe
Oct 30, 2008, 11:48 PM
2nd gen nano was a pretty crappy "upgrade" to the line. Should be more like gen 1.5

Apple Ink
Oct 31, 2008, 12:25 AM
I don't consider the 6.5G Classic to be separate from the 6G because the only changes was in HDD capacity.
I'll add the Touches, but I doubt that anyone will choose them ;)

Agreed on the first part!

As for the second... I'd choose the G1 Touch!

Krafty
Oct 31, 2008, 12:49 AM
1st Gen iPod touch. Mine crashes and lags all the time and its annoying as hell.

eXan
Oct 31, 2008, 01:18 AM
1st Gen iPod touch. Mine crashes and lags all the time and its annoying as hell.

Mine works perfectly on 2.1 firmware.

yorkshire
Oct 31, 2008, 02:53 AM
For me it has to be the 4th gen. Just thought it looked ugly.

I did actually like the 3rd gen. Those 4 touch buttons were beautiful to use and looked great in the dark. Only rubbish thing was it's mediocre 8 hour battery life.

Krafty
Oct 31, 2008, 06:26 AM
Mine works perfectly on 2.1 firmware.

Mines been like this since 1.1.2. About a month after I got it.

andiwm2003
Oct 31, 2008, 07:50 AM
4G

-bad battery life
-bad user interface for audiobooks
-didn't remember where i left off on an audiobook, was always 5-10 min off
-forgot sometimes what audiobook i was reading
-forwarding/rewinding in an audiobook choppy and slow
-1-2sec delay between a click and the response
-if you click accidentally fast forward twice it jumps to the end of the audiobook. then you have to scroll through a 6 hr audiobook to find the correct position again. That is so dumb. these engineers/programmers have the brains of a charcoal.

btw: most ipods have some of these problems especially the last one. did these stupid programmers ever use an iPod?:rolleyes:

SactoGuy18
Nov 2, 2008, 07:37 AM
2nd gen nano was a pretty crappy "upgrade" to the line. Should be more like gen 1.5

However, the 2G nano was actually much nicer in a couple of ways:

1) The case didn't scratch easily like the 1G nano case.
2) The battery life was WAY better (20+ hours versus 14 hours on the older model).
3) It support gapless playback of music (no audible "gaps" between songs).

OllyW
Nov 2, 2008, 07:51 AM
It's the 3G iPod for me.

I didn't like the touch sensitive buttons and the battery life was totally crap. The battery couldn't even last a full shift at work.

Cherimoya
Nov 2, 2008, 08:01 AM
+1 for the Shuffle

I got one free with a subscription from Audible. It worked for maybe a week and then refused to charge.

I chucked it in the back of a drawer and it's still there.

There are not many things you get free that aren't worth what you paid for it :rolleyes:

Techguy172
Nov 2, 2008, 10:10 AM
It's the 3G nano for me.

Packersfan27
Nov 2, 2008, 10:28 AM
I love the 3G Nano.

My least favorite iPod is the 4G Nano, coverflow pisses me off and the whle accelerometer is just an annoying gimmick.

i0Nic
Nov 2, 2008, 11:22 AM
iPod photo. Talk about rip-off. That thing was wayy wayyyyyy over-priced, when the iPod video came out to end the short reign of the iPod photo, it was priced a lot more affordably, was a much nicer design with a better and bigger screen and included a lot more new features. I remember the price of my 20gb 4g iPod was something like $450 Australian, and the iPod photo 40gb when it came out was about $750, replaced by the $500 iPod video 30gb.

I was going to vote iPod+HP, but that was hardly a mainstream iPod. Don't think it should even be on the list really. Edit- Actually that's probably because it wasn't even sold here in Australia, might have been more of an American thing. carry on.

The Classic is a bit of a bastard child now, the neglected member of the iPod family. It's interface is just bad, way too slow.

The quintessential iPod to me will always be the iPod video 5g (in white).

My first iPod was the 4G, even though I now think it's pretty bad and probably the worst iPod Apple released (Especially the ipod photo 4.5g which I voted for), I can't help but have a soft spot for it.

Also, I really like the 3rd gen fatty nano.

Zedsdead185
Nov 2, 2008, 11:29 AM
U2 iPods, A bit more money for a different looking iPod that did not improve playback or anything, and also (apart from the engraved sigs) had nothing to do with u2 :D.

Maybe i just don't like u2 that much...

maclover001
Nov 2, 2008, 11:34 AM
U2 iPods, A bit more money for a different looking iPod that did not improve playback or anything, and also (apart from the engraved sigs) had nothing to do with u2 :D.

Maybe i just don't like u2 that much...

Did it include U2 songs already on it? If not, pointless.
Lets make a blue iPod with a yellow clickwheel and call it the Best Buy iPod.

Loge
Nov 2, 2008, 12:06 PM
The iPod Photo. Mostly because of poor sound quality, in particular noticeable distortion on solo piano.

Oh, and the fact that the 60GB model cost 429 :eek:

m1stake
Nov 2, 2008, 12:15 PM
Just so you know, It's "Cash Rules Everything Around Me"

hence, the name "C.R.E.A.M." ;)

Good call, I was thinking the same thing.

C.M.E.A.M., or as the JIZZAH would say, C.W.E.A.M. Poor guy :p

Also, he got the rest of the quote wrong: It's Cash rules everything around me/CREAM/Get the money/dolla dolla bill ya'll ;p

To answer the poll, the 6G Classic and 7G current classic both suck. Sluggish UI reminds me of my G4 trying to play HD video.

Mr. Giver '94
Nov 2, 2008, 07:20 PM
iPod+HP It would have been so cool if it had remained an exclusively Mac product. Then those who really wanted one could buy a Mac to go along with it and we would have avoided all of the stupid teens with no sense of how the things even work buying them and treating them like they are worthless pieces of junk. Then they could have just bought Zunes and we could laugh at them all day long. :D

Obviously I know not every HP & iPod user isn't like that and it would have been impossible to make much money if they had remained exclusive, but one can dream.