Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I had no clue google earth was coming to the iPhone and touch. But I got it the moment I could. I love that I can no see planet earth the same way I can on my macbook but must admit that I've already deleted it after 2 days from my iPod touch.

Why?

It never crashed as how I heard many others say but the movements were a bit choppy. I'm glad it saves the looks of my previous searches so I don't have to be online to view them but the original maps app does this for me too.
Yes I can get directions with earth but it takes me right back to the maps app. But!!!!!!! The main reason I had to delete earth is cause of the very sudden changes shown on the screen even with the slghtest tilt. Barely move and planet earth disappears. When I'm close to the ground a slight movement changes to a nearby city.

Iono maybe it's just case I don't even use google earth on my MacBook much unless I'm planning a trip, but earth for the touch just didn't do it for me.

I do love google hence why I'm asking for your thoughts on it. And while we're on Google. . . Anyone actually use the Google Mobile App? Often?

Kirjava444

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2008
It works fine, but... without the street names/highlighting of major roads, it is pretty useless to me.

-Dark Angel-

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
Its not bad, but the big thing I'm waiting for is Street view ^_^. I can't wait to take tours of other cities.

MacNL04

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2004
Google Earth works really nicely, smoothly and fast. If you deactivate the autotilt (which is far too sensitive...) you can navigate without troubles. I also like its speed, its "geographic web" functions, this is fun!

Furthermore, I find it a nice complement to Maps which is ideal for streets/roads names etc... :)

Google Mobile App is also nice, I use it every now and then. I often use the "explore more Google products" to quickly access other web apps..:cool:

biikman

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
I had no clue google earth was coming to the iPhone and touch. But I got it the moment I could. I love that I can no see planet earth the same way I can on my macbook but must admit that I've already deleted it after 2 days from my iPod touch.

Why?

It never crashed as how I heard many others say but the movements were a bit choppy. I'm glad it saves the looks of my previous searches so I don't have to be online to view them but the original maps app does this for me too.
Yes I can get directions with earth but it takes me right back to the maps app. But!!!!!!! The main reason I had to delete earth is cause of the very sudden changes shown on the screen even with the slghtest tilt. Barely move and planet earth disappears. When I'm close to the ground a slight movement changes to a nearby city.

Iono maybe it's just case I don't even use google earth on my MacBook much unless I'm planning a trip, but earth for the touch just didn't do it for me.

I do love google hence why I'm asking for your thoughts on it. And while we're on Google. . . Anyone actually use the Google Mobile App? Often?

Pretty neat app, spend way to much time playing around with it. I did notice though that when using it it sucks the battery pretty quickly. Not sure if this is normal, as my touch doesn't have any battery problems in general..so maybe it's just because its a wi-fi intensive app.

esposimi

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
Google Earth works really nicely, smoothly and fast. If you deactivate the autotilt (which is far too sensitive...) you can navigate without troubles. I also like its speed, its "geographic web" functions, this is fun!

I agree with turning off the Autotilt function. Saved me alot of aggrivation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.