Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What screen does your Alu MB have and how do you rate it?

• 9C89 and it's good.

Votes: 96 39.0%
  • 9C89 and it's so so.

Votes: 42 17.1%
  • 9C89 and it's bad.

Votes: 28 11.4%
  • 9C5E and it's good.

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 9C5E and it's so so.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 9C5E and it's bad.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9C8C and it's good.

Votes: 49 19.9%
  • 9C8C and it's so so.

Votes: 19 7.7%
  • 9C8C and it's bad.

Votes: 9 3.7%

• Total voters

Philflow

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2008
For Aluminium Macbook owners: What screen does yours have and how do you rate it?

9C8C
9C89
9C5E

You can see what screen you have by going to system prefs, display, color, calibrated LCD, open profile, number 13 information.

Also, can anyone who has actually seen two or three of these screens in real life say if there are really differences?

Philflow

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2008
The 9C89 is making an incredible come back in the poll. Of the last 10 votes it seems 7 have said they have a 9C89 that they find good.

I wonder if Apple send their employees to skew up the poll :)

jade

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2003
I did the test, my screen looks good. My beef is really only that it is super bright in lowlight conditions. I have the so called inferior 9c89. Maybe there was just a bad batch out there in the production run. Black looks black from my typically viewing angles, but I fully agree, at sharper angles the scren does look crappy.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Detailed panel information by Notebookjournal and Notebookcheck.

More panel information. Notebookjournal measured two Macbooks with different panels.

2.4 Ghz. Type: LGPhilips LP133WX2-TLC1
durchschnittl. Luminanz cd/m² 245
Schwarzwert bei 100 cd/m2 cd/m² 0.69
Schwarzwert bei maximaler Helligkeit cd/m² 1.64
Kontrast bei 100 cd/m2 :1 145
Kontrast bei maximaler Helligkeit :1 147

2.0 Ghz
Helligkeit und Kontrast
durchschnittl. Luminanz cd/m² 277,00
Schwarzwert bei 100 cd/m2 cd/m² 0,65
Schwarzwert bei maximaler Helligkeit cd/m² 2,10
Kontrast bei 100 cd/m2 :1 154,00
Kontrast bei maximaler Helligkeit :1 132,00

Not a very big difference. Any one know how to find out the brand of panel I have? I have a c89 but I want to know what brand it is.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Pretty unscientific poll. One man's so-so is another man's good. One man's bad is another one's so-so.

If I say I have a 9C89 and it looks ok to me, what good does that do anyone?

For the record, I have a 9C89 and it looks ok to me. One thing for sure, I don't have a bluish cast. But every profile I've tried in these threads has given me just that.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2008
If I say I have a 9C89 and it looks ok to me, what good does that do anyone?

If 80% of the people found their 8C panel good, while 80% of the people found that their C89 was bad, I would have gone to Apple and demanded a 8C panel.

Now through setting up this poll it seems that there isn't such a big difference. Judging by the results of Notebookjournal, that seems to be confirmed.

I just found out what panel I have: the LGPhilips LP133WX2-TLC1 (=APP9C89)

If anyone wants to find out > Bootcamp > PC Wizard 2008.

Zadiek

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Raymore, MO
I have a 9C89 lcd panel and I don't consider it to be as bad as people are making it. Sure, it should be a better screen for what you pay...but I find it to be passable. That being said, I still think they should upgrade the lcd in future revisions. Just because it is passable or "good enough" doesn't mean they should sell it that way. Unfortunately, that is how the business world works though...

pratap21

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2008
Good poll. I'm gonna get mine soon.

Quick question to long time mac users: I know the prev gen plastic Macbook had a bad screen to start with (rev a). Did apple change the quality of the screen in the next revs?

If not, I doubt we should wait for the next rev. Either we accept the screen or get a Pro or get a PC laptop with a beautiful screen (say Sony) for < 1000$

Zadiek

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Raymore, MO
Good poll. I'm gonna get mine soon.

Quick question to long time mac users: I know the prev gen plastic Macbook had a bad screen to start with (rev a). Did apple change the quality of the screen in the next revs?

If not, I doubt we should wait for the next rev. Either we accept the screen or get a Pro or get a PC laptop with a beautiful screen (say Sony) for < 1000$

But a Sony would come with Windows....ew.:p

Jak3

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
9C8C here, black is almost as dark as bezel.

Colours very nice.

Good viewing angles

Very Happy with my macbook (it is my first one, which may be clouding my judgement)

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I thought my screen was crap as well. Don't know which one it was. So I bought an MBA as well b/c of the better screen, switched them, and returned the Air. I had to pay the 10% restocking fee, but it got me a much better panel in my MacBook. I wouldn't recommend it to the faint at heart though. The disassembly process wasn't exactly easy. Not to mention I ended up with some extra screws. Should have video'd the process for reassembly.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I thought my screen was crap as well. Don't know which one it was. So I bought an MBA as well b/c of the better screen, switched them, and returned the Air. I had to pay the 10% restocking fee, but it got me a much better panel in my MacBook. I wouldn't recommend it to the faint at heart though. The disassembly process wasn't exactly easy. Not to mention I ended up with some extra screws. Should have video'd the process for reassembly.

You put the MBA screen behind the glass? Hope Apple doesn't discover your surgery. You will be hearing from them if they do.

PresentACat

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2008

If you genuinly did this, then I award you all the remaining internets.

LushMojo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2008
Camden, Maine

Aside from the ethics of this, how did you do it? I have an Air and wouldn't mind doing a disassembly to swap the screens. Can you post the profile info,please? I have the 9C8C panel and think it's okay, but I'd love to get my Air screen in there.

Thanks in advance.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Aside from the ethics of this, how did you do it? I have an Air and wouldn't mind doing a disassembly to swap the screens. Can you post the profile info,please? I have the 9C8C panel and think it's okay, but I'd love to get my Air screen in there.

Thanks in advance.

You'll need 2 #0 putty knives (2" wide), a few small screwdrivers, surgical gloves if you want to keep the screen from getting dirty, a hot glue gun, a sheet of paper, some foil, your prayer book of preference, the Metallica Black Album, and the toll money you collected off the invisible bridge I sold you.

LushMojo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2008
Camden, Maine
You'll need 2 #0 putty knives (2" wide), a few small screwdrivers, surgical gloves if you want to keep the screen from getting dirty, a hot glue gun, a sheet of paper, some foil, your prayer book of preference, the Metallica Black Album, and the toll money you collected off the invisible bridge I sold you.

Mmmm....pure BS. You're a riot. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC

oh i get it. you made a funny. minus the funny. good thing you can pay for demi-god status. you obviously didn't get it from quality posts.

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
oh i get it. you made a funny. minus the funny. good thing you can pay for demi-god status. you obviously didn't get it from quality posts.

Lol, it's not like anyone actually makes constructive posts in this forum, due to the new revision. It's really gone down hill.

ptsube

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
I think you should add this to the end of the first option. "9C89 and it's good." Because I'm an Apple fanboy you see. When Apple releases something new, I buy it at once and head over to Bed, Bath and Beyond. I buy a black Satin sleeve for my new toy and head home. I go to my room and throw my current body pillow on the floor. Then I slip under the sheets and cuddle with my new Satin wrapped Apple toy. Who needs soul mates, when you have Apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.