Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adr1974

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Just wondering what you guys would choose - a new $1599 MacBook or an old (but unused) MacBook Pro for $1643.99 (15.4 inch, 2.5 GhZ, 2 gig, 250 GB HD).

Will basically be using it as a second computer around the house (have a Mac Pro in the basement) and for traveling (which is minimal).

Thanks in advance!

stooley

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
Just wondering what you guys would choose - a new $1599 MacBook or an old (but unused) MacBook Pro for $1643.99 (15.4 inch, 2.5 GhZ, 2 gig, 250 GB HD).

Will basically be using it as a second computer around the house (have a Mac Pro in the basement) and for traveling (which is minimal).

Thanks in advance!

If there is nothing in the new macbook design that you MUST have, then go with the macbook pro :)

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Personally, I'd choose the older one.
You will need to, if you plan to use any FW audio interface, or have a FW videocamera. You see, the new one has just a single firewire port that happens to be equipped with the substandard Agere FW chipset.

Edit: Sorry, I thought you meant the new MB "pro". The new MB doesn't even have firewire.

So, if you have no need for firewire and will only be using it a bit for travel I'd buy a netbook (or, the MB, if you want a mac).

MacJenn

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
If you value a decent screen then stay far away from the current Macbooks. They are horrible. I returned mine yesterday for a Macbook Pro and it is well worth the additional $400 it took to get upgraded to a decent screen. I guess if you aren't picky about your screen and a subpar screen is good enough then the reg Macbook might be alright for you. I just feel paying $1300-$1600 for a computer should come with a decent screen instead of a low quality one in it right now. Hopefully if enough people complain, Apple will wake up and give the consumer a decent screen in a computer they paid top dollar for. Right now they are getting ripoff'd and some don't care as long as it has a pretty shell and that big Apple embedded in it.

adr1974

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
So, if you have no need for firewire and will only be using it a bit for travel I'd buy a netbook (or, the MB, if you want a mac).

Thanks -- I really don't have any need for firewire, and I'll travel with it maybe once every 4-6 weeks. Just seems like the older generation MBP is a better deal (for $50 more) than the current MB.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks -- I really don't have any need for firewire, and I'll travel with it maybe once every 4-6 weeks. Just seems like the older generation MBP is a better deal (for $50 more) than the current MB.

Yup, but it's bigger and much heavier –*two things that aren't so good when travelling. The good thing about the prev. gen MBP as a travelling book is that as standard it's matte. That is certainly making up for the size and at least some of the weight.

adr1974

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Tough call then. I won't be traveling much, and I'm thinking the extra power might come in useful as far as using it at home is concerned...

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Tough call then. I won't be traveling much, and I'm thinking the extra power might come in useful as far as using it at home is concerned...

Yes it is a tough call. If it helps a little, I travel with my MBP (a 2.33gHz 15 inch), and it's certainly doable. I use a pda as often as possible to forego using a computer when that's an option. The reason is I also travel with my audio equipment, and that weighs enough on it's own. But the MPB _is_ certainly doable as a travel machine, although I don't consider it the best for that sort.

All things equal, the 15 inch prev. generation MBP is all around a much better computer featurewise than the new MacBook. That's for sure.
I hope that makes my opinion a bit more clear.

PedroMendes

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2008
Sunny Glasgow
I just sold my pro for the new 2.4 macbook - the problems with the GPU failing on the pro bothered me so I decided to sell and it is heavy to carry around - the pro of course is far more powerful but the 2.4 macbook is like a mini pro in some ways - I am pleased I changed :)

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
I just sold my pro for the new 2.4 macbook - the problems with the GPU failing on the pro bothered me so I decided to sell and it is heavy to carry around - the pro of course is far more powerful but the 2.4 macbook is like a mini pro in some ways - I am pleased I changed :)

In what way is it a mini pro? You mean that they kept the "pro" monicker on the new 15", but decided to go consumer glossy, nix the fw400 port, and use a substandard FW chip? The only thing that's "pro" about the 15" is the expressport, and that port is available on other consumer laptops, so that doesn't play after all. No, the MB isn't a "mini pro" at all. If anything, the new MBP is a maxi-consumer MB if anything. Or a gamer's MacBook, if you will.

Anyway, it doesn't matter – the choice is up to ADR.

PedroMendes

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2008
Sunny Glasgow
In what way is it a mini pro? You mean that they kept the "pro" monicker on the new 15", but decided to go consumer glossy, nix the fw400 port, and use a substandard FW chip? The only thing that's "pro" about the 15" is the expressport, and that port is available on other consumer laptops, so that doesn't play after all. No, the MB isn't a "mini pro" at all. If anything, the new MBP is a maxi-consumer MB if anything. Or a gamer's MacBook, if you will.

Anyway, it doesn't matter – the choice is up to ADR.

indeed it doesn't matter as you say and you have your opinion and I mine

PedroMendes

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2008
Sunny Glasgow
At least I used argumentation :p

I can only speak for my experience so the firewire issue doesn't affect me but I can understand other people are pissed about this - I think its ability, now in this model, will allow it to perform far better when using it for photo manipulation via aperture or CS3 than on previous models - I've had no problems :p

adr1974

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
ADR is going to have a hard time deciding. On the one hand, I definitely don't need the extra features of the MBP, but on the other, the price is right. Guess it'll come down to a coin toss...

JJBagoose

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2008
I'd wouldn't get either of the ones you mention.

I would buy the 2.0 MB and save yourself a couple of bucks. You won't see much of a performance difference and for your needs it would be great.

Plus you would be killing yourself that you don't have the newness and coolness of the new MBs :cool:

One more thing, the screens aren't as bad a people say. Some have issues but most are fine and won't be an issue for normal people. MacJenn is overreacting a bit.

MacJenn

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
I'd wouldn't get either of the ones you mention.

I would buy the 2.0 MB and save yourself a couple of bucks. You won't see much of a performance difference and for your needs it would be great.

Plus you would be killing yourself that you don't have the newness and coolness of the new MBs :cool:

One more thing, the screens aren't as bad a people say. Some have issues but most are fine and won't be an issue for normal people. MacJenn is overreacting a bit.

Overreacting? Nope. The Apple manager told me yesterday they are getting a high rate of returns due to the poor quality of the screens and the other Apple stores in the district he works in is experiencing the same complaints.

Overreacting? OP: if you know anyone with a cheap Dell or PC laptap (I compared it to a friend's who has a 2 year old Dell laptop he bought at Walmart) compare it to the new Macbook. Then tell me and many other they are overreacting. It is sad when people are justifying the low quality screen Apple placed in their laptops because either they feel Apple can do no wrong or they just don't want to feel bad they got ripped off by paying a premium for a low quality screen.

Yes some will say they have a good one, but anyone without any biases will admit the screen is horrible compared to a lot cheaper PC's. Instead of defending Apple and their poor choices in hardware, people who bought or thinking of getting one should demand that Apple put quality screens and other hardware in their laptops especially when they are paying top dollar for it. If people continue to sit back and take it up the you know what from Apple, then they will continue to charge a premium for hardware that is below standards.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
1. Flip a coin (Heads - MacBook / Tails - MacBook Pro)
2. If you see it is tails and you get a feeling of disappointment or feel like you want to flip again, get the MacBook. If you see it is heads and experience the same feelings, get the MacBook Pro.

Basically that's what works for a LOT of situations... you know which one you want subconsciously but it's just hard to decide with a decision like this. But when you narrow it down to a coin toss and end up with the one you really don't want based on your feelings once you see the result, you get the other one!

Haha hope that's not too confusing..... :eek:

jade

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2003
Overreacting? Nope. The Apple manager told me yesterday they are getting a high rate of returns due to the poor quality of the screens and the other Apple stores in the district he works in is experiencing the same complaints.

Overreacting? OP: if you know anyone with a cheap Dell or PC laptap (I compared it to a friend's who has a 2 year old Dell laptop he bought at Walmart) compare it to the new Macbook. Then tell me and many other they are overreacting. It is sad when people are justifying the low quality screen Apple placed in their laptops because either they feel Apple can do no wrong or they just don't want to feel bad they got ripped off by paying a premium for a low quality screen.

Yes some will say they have a good one, but anyone without any biases will admit the screen is horrible compared to a lot cheaper PC's. Instead of defending Apple and their poor choices in hardware, people who bought or thinking of getting one should demand that Apple put quality screens and other hardware in their laptops especially when they are paying top dollar for it. If people continue to sit back and take it up the you know what from Apple, then they will continue to charge a premium for hardware that is below standards.

OP: get the MB, the smaller size and nearly 1lb difference in weight will be perfect for your travels. The screen on mine is great, but be warned the viewing angles are less than on the MBP. (Like if you were doing a demo without a projector it might be a little tricky at a full conference room table.)

MacJenn: If you feel so compelled to continue to bash the new MacBooks in EVERY thread on the board, can you just point to your other 200 posts instead posting the same message everywhere, and then complaining when people complain about your posts and state they like their new MacBooks and think you are exaggerating on the quality of the screen. Since you traded up to a new MBP, I'd assume youd be over the venomous rantings, but it still continues!

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
OP: get the MB, the smaller size and nearly 1lb difference in weight will be perfect for your travels. The screen on mine is great, but be warned the viewing angles are less than on the MBP. (Like if you were doing a demo without a projector it might be a little tricky at a full conference room table.)

MacJenn: If you feel so compelled to continue to bash the new MacBooks in EVERY thread on the board, can you just point to your other 200 posts instead posting the same message everywhere, and then complaining when people complain about your posts and state they like their new MacBooks and think you are exaggerating on the quality of the screen. Since you traded up to a new MBP, I'd assume youd be over the venomous rantings, but it still continues!

She is entitled to her opinions as you are. I looked over her few dozen posts (far cry from your exaggeration of 200 you claim she has) and while she complains about the many issues she had with her new Macbook they were worded differently each time. A look through your post history shows you basically defending the new one and stating many times the screen is good. Don't hate her because she has an equally strong opinion as you do. There is an ignore button if you don't want to read her opinions.

JJBagoose

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2008
Overreacting? OP: if you know anyone with a cheap Dell or PC laptap (I compared it to a friend's who has a 2 year old Dell laptop he bought at Walmart) compare it to the new Macbook. Then tell me and many other they are overreacting.

I've done just that and the MB won hands down.

p.s. Change your sig and move on up to the deluxe forum in the sky. (MPB Forum) ;)

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Get the old MBP. If you travel alot, the matte screen will come in handy. The extra pound or so of the MBP won't matter much because I doubt you will be physically carrying it for a long period of time.

The things lacking for me in the mb is a matte screen and the firewire. I've tested a mate's new mb, and it's really reflective. As for people like you who travel alot, you are constantly exposed to large variation of lighting sources, so glares and reflection will be an issue to you. Trust me on this. That's provided IF you happen to be as perfect sighted as me, and are capable of detecting glares/reflections, unlike a lot of others who are oblivious.

The LCD panel of the mbp definitely looks much better too. Don't let the 8600 gpu scares you. You have an extra year of gpu warranty for that. Personally, I would get the old mbp with the risk of a possibly faulty 8600 than the new mb anytime. At least the gpu can be replaced, but I can't replace the glassy screen with a matte one.

Another strong reason for the old mp would be the simplistic overall design.

That's simply my personal opinions. I hope you find them useful.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I've done just that and the MB won hands down.

p.s. Change your sig and move on up to the deluxe forum in the sky. (MPB Forum) ;)

She makes a good point. Apple's hardware has in many cases gone downhill the last several years. Those of us who have owned Macs for years and years mostly agree on this. The new people don't know what was, so they have nothing to compare it to.

All I know is my friends new 2.0 Macbook is nice overall, but the screen quality is subpar for a machine that costs that much. That isn't a bash on anyone who bought the new one (which many are taking personal in these threads), but a noticable fact to me. My blackbook doesn't have the greatest screen either, but it is better on the blacks than my friends and a little worse on the colors. Apple did a great job with making the new ones built wise and the better graphic chip, but they failed once again on the screen which would of complemented the better graphics card it has. I also compared my friends to my other friend's $800 HP laptop and the HP won hands down. Listen I hate it when a PC does something better than Apple at less cost, but I'm not going to lie about it to make myself feel better because I'm an Apple fan.

jade

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2003
She is entitled to her opinions as you are. I looked over her few dozen posts (far cry from your exaggeration of 200 you claim she has) and while she complains about the many issues she had with her new Macbook they were worded differently each time. A look through your post history shows you basically defending the new one and stating many times the screen is good. Don't hate her because she has an equally strong opinion as you do. There is an ignore button if you don't want to read her opinions.

I don't have issue with negative opinions on the new notebook. But honestly bashing it anytime there is a positive or neutral comment is ridiculous. So I chime in with positive comments.

As a long time lurker, occasional poster on MR, I look to the boards for a balanced commentary -- these never ending loops don't help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.