Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rodti

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Scotland
After countless issues and four replaced/repaired MacBooks in 2006 when I first encountered the white MacBook discolouration issues, I actually got a machine to last 18 months until the front edge of the top case started breaking off. This is widely reported on forums etc and appears to be a common problem. Apple Executive Relations offered to replace the top case, albeit rather grudgingly, so I had the work done by the Glasgow Apple Store. Imagine my surprise several weeks later when the new top case started turning BLUE. I have no idea if the repair was done with an old top case part with discolouration issues, or if this is a new issue. Executive Relations say their engineers haven't seen this issue and so can't help, which wasn't much use to me, but thankfully the work done by the Apple Store is still covered by a 90 day warranty (expiring in two weeks, when unfortunately I'm not likely to be in Glasgow). I'm going to get the repair done but after that really don't want to hang onto this machine as it's been a nightmare of poor build quality/components.

Is there any legislation in the UK that states that after a certain number of faults an item isn't fit for purpose, or something like that? I feel that the number of repairs done to this machine is way more than a consumer should have to put up with, even though it's two years down the line. Failing that I'm going to sell the machine. It's clearly cursed. :mad:

Attachments

• 2008-10-27_0.jpg
    2008-10-27_0.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 101

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Welcome to notebooks in general my friend.

Many of our Dell and HP laptops (at work) either have paint wear off, plastic discolor, or portions crack / bend, after use. The fact that Apple is actually acting on this (cracked cases) puts them ahead of some other manufacturers.

The only laptops we have at work that don't suffer from case issues are Compaq nc6120s. Perhaps you should look into one of those.

image.php

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I have a question about the cracking issue.

Mine has cracked on the right side. I have taped it up, but the sleep light doesnt work now unless you press down on it. My Macbook is long out of its 1yr warranty, but because this is a widespread issue, would Apple still replace it for free?

rodti

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Scotland
Welcome to notebooks in general my friend.
Many of our Dell and HP laptops (at work) either have paint wear off, plastic discolor, or portions crack / bend, after use. The fact that Apple is actually acting on this (cracked cases) puts them ahead of some other manufacturers.

The MacBook is generally a well put together machine, but the top case has been a joke from start to finish. I'll definitely stick with Apple, but will either pick up a black MacBook (if poss) or wait to see how the new aluminium machines pan out.

rodti

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Scotland
I have a question about the cracking issue.
Mine has cracked on the right side. I have taped it up, but the sleep light doesnt work now unless you press down on it. My Macbook is long out of its 1yr warranty, but because this is a widespread issue, would Apple still replace it for free?

When I Googled that issue there were loads of people who had it replaced for free the moment a Genius saw it, but in my case I had to fight to get it done (out of warranty), but they eventually relented. I suppose this is a case of 'your mileage may vary'.

rodti

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Scotland
hey, what do you know, time to get it in good shape and sell it for a new aluminum one, huh?

I was hoping to keep this MB for longer, but it's time for us to part ways. I'm a little hesitant to get an aluminium MB too early, there might be teething problems with them too :)

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
When I Googled that issue there were loads of people who had it replaced for free the moment a Genius saw it, but in my case I had to fight to get it done (out of warranty), but they eventually relented. I suppose this is a case of 'your mileage may vary'.

Thanks for that. I may have to take a trip to Sheffield to get it looked into. End of the day, its worth a shot at getting it replaced. Not long after I made the original post, I noticed another crack running along the front edge of the bottom case. I wouldn't mind but I dont abuse my laptop in anyway. I've taken it out and about with me a couple of times but its been in a case inside a backpack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.