Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pedromiguel20

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Hello, just got a question about best buy and buying a macbook at a best buy.

I don't want to go at an Apple Store to go get my 2.4ghz macbook as it is father than the best buy that offers the same thing. As i have heard, there are a lot of defective machine fromApple.

If i some how buy a not perfect machine from apple at best buy, can i ask an exchange at best buy by opening it in front of them? Or can i go to an apple store and exchange it over there ?

thx, i'm a bit worried to have a bad screen and a bad keyboard

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
If they don't let you exchange, you can just get a refund (they don't have restocking fee like Apple stores). Just to tick them off, walk right back in and buy another box :)

However, the problem is, Best buy may not carry a lot of stock for you to exchange.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
You can take it to an Apple store. If it's a major problem, they'll replace it on the spot. However, if it's a nitpicky problem, you *might* have more luck getting a replacement if you bought it from them (Apple) to begin with. Treat loyalty as royalty, as they say.

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
If they don't let you exchange, you can just get a refund (they don't have restocking fee like Apple stores). Just to tick them off, walk right back in and buy another box :)

However, the problem is, Best buy may not carry a lot of stock for you to exchange.

Actually they do have a 15% restock fee on opened macbooks there was a couple stickers that said it on my box.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
(they don't have restocking fee like Apple stores).

Actually they can and do charge a restocking fee. If you can convince a manager that a dead pixel or a crooked key is "defective", you might get the fee waived, but you will undoubtedly have a harder time convincing Best Buy as compared to Apple.

From BB's policy page...

Restocking Fee
A 15% restocking fee will be charged on opened notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, GPS navigation and in-car video systems. A 25% restocking fee will be charged on special order products, including appliances. These fees apply unless the item is defective or damaged, you received the wrong item, or the fee is prohibited by law.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I stand corrected. In Canada, there's no restocking fee in Bestbuy. I assumed it was the same, and apparently not.

We would be pleased to exchange or give you a refund in-store on most items you buy online, up to 30 days after your receive your order. We will gladly exchange Computers, Monitors, Custom Built Computers, Printers, Laptop Computers, Camcorders, Digital Cameras, Radar Detectors, Portable DVD Players and Air Conditioners up to 14 days after you receive your order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.