Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikepctp

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
just north of Toronto, Canada
I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this question but you guys have always come through in the past (with my silly questions) and I am hoping for the same this time.

My lady dumped a LOT (I mean huge numbers) of our CD's to the PC and by a booboo... used Windows Media Player .wmv as the file extension format.
I have a special spot for Mr. Gates and I assure you it is not in my music library.

Is there a way that iTunes or Real or ? can convert these "bastard" files into something playable on the Mac without using Media Player?

I love iTunes and have an extensive library that is dying to have these others added.

Any suggestions are REALLY appreciated as I really do not want to fathom a complete re-load.

Thanks gang!

MP:confused:

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
WMV and MP3 (or AAC for that matter) are both lossy codecs, meaning that data is stripped down during compression. If you run a song through two lossy codecs, the sound will degrade very badly. You will certainly be able to notice it. If you are able to find a converter-- and unfortunately i do not know of one-- it'll hardly be worth it to convert them... i would start looking at re-ripping.

sorry :/

paul

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The only app I know of that can convert these is dMC, which only runs on Windows. But as Paul said, converting from one lossy format to another will make it sound bad.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
yeah, i wish that there was also an easy way to do this. alas, the best we can look forward to is hours and hours of re-encoding.... either that or apple makes itunes support .wma files (but i think we both know what would happen first)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.