PDA

View Full Version : eMac in Retail Stores

arn
Jun 3, 2002, 11:11 PM
ThinkSecret reveals (http://www.thinksecret.com/features/emacretail.html) what they believe to be Apple's announcement on Tuesday:

Sources confirmed to Think Secret that Apple will announce Tuesday that its recently introduced 17-inch, all-in-one eMac for education will be sold to consumers through all retail channels, beginning soon.

Catfish_Man
Jun 3, 2002, 11:19 PM
...except that it kinda cuts into the iMac2's feature range, and some of the features aren't useful outside a school (no modem? cd drive?).

MacAztec
Jun 3, 2002, 11:23 PM
Dont think so. Do we all remember what "eMac" stands for???

e is for education....

Therefor, it wouldn't really be an "eMac" now would it?

And yes, it would cut into the iMac sales.

Macette
Jun 3, 2002, 11:24 PM
internal modems bite anyway, i say. i've seen two go belly-up, never to be seen again, in the last WEEK. it's good that they're pushing macs without them.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 3, 2002, 11:27 PM
hmm, that is something i wouldn't have expected for sure, although 10.1.5 definitely seemed too small for the press coverage.

we shall all see in a few hours. i kinda hope that's not the announcement, just cause it wouldn't benefit me. ha

MacAztec
Jun 3, 2002, 11:33 PM
Wouldn't that suck if NOTHING happened? Haha, that would be mind-boggling.

davester
Jun 3, 2002, 11:47 PM
Very likely that eMacs will be sold to the masses and not just the educational market, as this MacNN story highlights:

http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=006165

eyelikeart
Jun 3, 2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by MacAztec
Wouldn't that suck if NOTHING happened? Haha, that would be mind-boggling.

he he he...that would be funny...but this time the rumors are barely making any headlines like they normally do...

we'll see...I do agree on the eMac/education correlation...but who knows?!

Falleron
Jun 4, 2002, 06:03 AM
What time is the event? How long to go?

Macmaniac
Jun 4, 2002, 06:37 AM
I would love to try out a new eMac. Hopefully it won't cut into the new iMacs sales because it is for a different consumer.

j763
Jun 4, 2002, 06:42 AM
how about e for everyone?? :)

pkradd
Jun 4, 2002, 06:47 AM
Apple may simply re-brand the computer, add a modem (no problem) and sell it for $999.00. The feature set is not in stone and can be changed. They did this way back with the "education only" LC all-in-one.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 06:58 AM
They're definitely doing something,

go to the Apple store and it says 'We'll be back soon'

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/initial.woa/wa/browse?ptm=WXXXXBXXXXXXXXXXX500801&lprd=http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/routingpage.html

So maybe an eMac, but there might be something else in store as well, that'd be cool....

JtheLemur
Jun 4, 2002, 07:13 AM
Even direct links to the education store are down... maybe that means there will be more than the eMac, since we already have the eMac on the edu store pages? Hmmm. Of course the logical reason is that they dont want an ordering snafu so they close them all. I can dream can't I??!? :)

Megaquad
Jun 4, 2002, 07:16 AM
voices tell me that this is what we're going to see today:
-eMac for everyone,voices aren't 100% sure about this :) but it may be
-iMac G4 1 GHz,GeForce 4 MX,superdrive etc.
-Mac OS X 10.1.5

JtheLemur
Jun 4, 2002, 07:20 AM
Megaquad -

Sounds good... but I still don't know about the eMac. I mean, they're pushing it on Apple's main page even though consumers can't buy it, but is releasing it to consumers enough to warrant a few interviews? Hmmm.... guess I'm just hoping for something cooler to come along =D

Megaquad
Jun 4, 2002, 07:30 AM
Anyway,if that 1gig/geforce4 mx iMac comes out today,i'm buying it this summer. There's no doubt about it! I'll buy one FW case too,and put fastest CDRW out there in.. ohh stevie i love you!

oldMac
Jun 4, 2002, 07:38 AM
There it is on the store...

700Mhz G4, 128MB, 40GB, CD-RW, 56K Modem = $1099

Falleron
Jun 4, 2002, 07:42 AM
There must be something else from the press conference?? Is the new Quicktime 6 public preview new?

richard5mith
Jun 4, 2002, 07:42 AM
Quicktime 6 public preview as well...

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/preview/quicktime6/

dbenesch
Jun 4, 2002, 07:43 AM
Here I thought that they would raise the price a hundred dollars at least, making it must less attractive. Instead, they only raised it $50 (for the end-user, not institution), added a CD-RW and a modem. So, as it stands, the CD-RW is available to everyone, and the education just get a lower end and higher end option (and no real discount).

I think this is a very attractive machine. It's substantially less than the iMac, offers high resolution, and everything else is the same. Way to go Apple.

dbenesch
Jun 4, 2002, 07:47 AM
Here's the one I've been waiting for. Make sure you download the Quicktime Broadcaster Public Preview (it's a separate download). The link is on the bottom left of the QT6 Preview Page. Easy to use, MPEG-4 streaming from OS X. Cool.

Megaquad
Jun 4, 2002, 07:48 AM
I am deeply disappointed,where's my 1gig imac?

Falleron
Jun 4, 2002, 07:49 AM
Any sign of the OSX update?

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 07:59 AM
ok...so who's gonna get one??

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 08:02 AM
I'm really interested in seeing one first hand, I'll have to take a trip out to the store this week. The price is pretty cheap, which is great, I know someone who might be interested....

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
I'm really interested in seeing one first hand, I'll have to take a trip out to the store this week. The price is pretty cheap, which is great, I know someone who might be interested....

I think they are damned cool looking! :D

I know next year I'll be in the market for a new Mac...was thinking about replacing my TiBook...depending on my financial situation & how I'm feeling...the eMac could be the answer...G4 for under $1200...he he he ;)

Backtothemac
Jun 4, 2002, 08:21 AM
Well, here are some observations.

1) Now that the eMac is available for everyone, does that signal the end of the iMac Classic? It should either go the way of the dinosaur, or should drop to a 499 price point to compete with the 499 trash machines that Gateway and Dell throw out there.

2) Every product line has been updated except two. iMac FP and the PowerMac. Little birddies are saying that both will be updated at NY. Here is the key, the iMac will go to 1GHZ. It appears that the policy with the iMac and PowerMac, is that the top o' the line iMac will have the low end Processor of the PowerMac. Can anyone say 1.0, 1.2, and dual 1.4's?

3) With the Public Preview of QT6 out there, that means two things. First that the licensing is getting worked out, and second that 10.2 is just around the corner. QT6 is part of the foundation of 10.2. It is in the WWDC builds, and is the future of video on systems.

4) There is still something up Steves sleave. Windows iPod? New Digital device? What could it be? I don't know, and the birddies won't talk on this, but you can bet that there will be "one more thing".

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac

1) Now that the eMac is available for everyone, does that signal the end of the iMac Classic? It should either go the way of the dinosaur, or should drop to a 499 price point to compete with the 499 trash machines that Gateway and Dell throw out there.

that's a good point...

they've kept the iMac Classic around for competitive pricing against other manufacturer...I don't see the point in keeping both either...

I have this feeling that we all know deep down that Jobs won't drop the prices to $499 though...maybe if they decide to phase it out they will do the typical promos...free RAM...printer...maybe a deal with the iPod...

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 08:25 AM
Well, they should at least get rid of the current stock. I don't know who would want one now, especially with what you get with the eMac.

And the public preview for QT6 expires in October. That's still quite a ways away, so if we have to wait that long for the full version, its going to suck.

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 08:29 AM
I agree...I wonder how much backstock they have in them?!

whatever it is...we should see some sort of promotions taking form to sell them off...

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 08:32 AM
On a separate note, it seems Think Secret came up with a homerun on getting the rumor correct. They've been doing pretty good lately.....

Backtothemac
Jun 4, 2002, 08:32 AM
Well, they should at least get rid of the current stock. I don't know who would want one now, especially with what you get with the eMac.

And the public preview for QT6 expires in October. That's still quite a ways away, so if we have to wait that long for the full version, its going to suck.

OMG, so much for late summer right ;) . Well, I think that we will see it before then. I think they made it that long to CTA just in case the licensing did not work out the way that they want it to.

cr2sh
Jun 4, 2002, 08:34 AM
thats odd, compare the prices...

Look at the educational store prices on the emac...

a 700mhz, 128meg, 40gig, with CDRW is $1149

In the all mass-market online store

a 700mhz, 128meg, 40gig, with CDRW is $1099

students getting bent over....?

Sun Baked
Jun 4, 2002, 08:54 AM
Hopefully consumer mass marketing will change the configurations for the education market.

Backtothemac
Jun 4, 2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by cr2sh
thats odd, compare the prices...

Look at the educational store prices on the emac...

a 700mhz, 128meg, 40gig, with CDRW is $1149

In the all mass-market online store

a 700mhz, 128meg, 40gig, with CDRW is $1099

students getting bent over....?

I agree. When I saw the price for consumers, I though, hey finally, my ole lady can take advantage of that whole Student thing right. Nope. Better to be a consumer than a student I guess.

Hemingray
Jun 4, 2002, 09:04 AM
Well I'll be damned. Apple just shot themselves in the foot! :eek: They just totally blew away the whole "e" idea. I don't get it... Apple, I wish you would start making sense again! (Oh, wait, that's right... this is Apple we're talking about. :p )

The eMac's gonna sell great, no question. But what about cannibalizing the new iMacs' sales? Now the average joe schmoe can get a 17" G4 iMac, essentially, for a couple hundred less! (And don't put up the argument about a 15" LCD being the equivalent of a 17" Flat CRT, that don't cut it with the average joe schmoe.) So what's de deal here?

Backtothemac
Jun 4, 2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Hemingray
Well I'll be damned. Apple just shot themselves in the foot! :eek: They just totally blew away the whole "e" idea. I don't get it... Apple, I wish you would start making sense again! (Oh, wait, that's right... this is Apple we're talking about. :p )

The eMac's gonna sell great, no question. But what about cannibalizing the new iMacs' sales? Now the average joe schmoe can get a 17" G4 iMac, essentially, for a couple hundred less! (And don't put up the argument about a 15" LCD being the equivalent of a 17" Flat CRT, that don't cut it with the average joe schmoe.) So what's de deal here?

Well, I see it like this. I think that this could help the consumer sales. You have the CRT at 1049, and the flatpanel at 1399. Now, this could make it easier to sell more Mac's in general. There are people like me that cannot afford the Flat pannel. I can however afford the eMac. I guess that e if for everyone now. They better drop the damn price for students though.

billiam0878
Jun 4, 2002, 09:56 AM
The eMac education pricing does leave a lot to be desired! The low-end, priced only $50 cheaper at $1049, lacks a modem and CD-RW (CD-ROM), while the upper-end, priced at $1249 only has the advantage of the COMBO drive over the $1099 machine which is available to the public... So an upgrade from a CD-RW to a COMBO is worth $150? Last I saw Apple was charging $90 for such an upgrade on the PowerMacs... Not a good deal for Education at all. Anyways, while I was checking out the prices I also noticed a "Gov't" tab (under store in between the "Education" and "Worldwide" tabs) has that always been there?

Bill

Kid Red
Jun 4, 2002, 10:03 AM

2) Every product line has been updated except two. iMac FP and the PowerMac. Little birddies are saying that both will be updated at NY. Here is the key, the iMac will go to 1GHZ. It appears that the policy with the iMac and PowerMac, is that the top o' the line iMac will have the low end Processor of the PowerMac. Can anyone say 1.0, 1.2, and dual 1.4's?

3) With the Public Preview of QT6 out there, that means two things. First that the licensing is getting worked out, and second that 10.2 is just around the corner. QT6 is part of the foundation of 10.2. It is in the WWDC builds, and is the future of video on systems.

4) There is still something up Steves sleave. Windows iPod? New Digital device? What could it be? I don't know, and the birddies won't talk on this, but you can bet that there will be "one more thing".

You forgot about one thing, the 933 G4. So, it could be 2 800s and hi-end 933 iMac. The powermacs would then be 1ghz, 1.13ghz and dual 1.26ghz.

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 10:12 AM
ok now it's just getting damned overwhelming to view & study well...

Apple has G4s all across the board with the exception of the iBook & the Classic iMac which will most likely be killed off very shortly...

the question should be...what are they going to do with the Quicksilver?!

at this point...they honestly need a significant upgrade to make it the topdog once again...because at this point it doesn't shine as much as it did when it was the one & only...

Backtothemac
Jun 4, 2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Kid Red

You forgot about one thing, the 933 G4. So, it could be 2 800s and hi-end 933 iMac. The powermacs would then be 1ghz, 1.13ghz and dual 1.26ghz.

Nope, 867, and 1 GHZ.

1.0, 1.2, and 1.4 on the PowerMacs.

Funkatation
Jun 4, 2002, 01:28 PM
than iMacs... even with the lower price, the eMac has a higher profit margin. That's what counts in the end.

cr2sh
Jun 4, 2002, 03:30 PM

Nope, 867, and 1 GHZ.

1.0, 1.2, and 1.4 on the PowerMacs.

I hate to keep bringing this up, but the pro market is certainly lacking. Sure, if the mass-consumer line stays below 1gigahertz, than the pro-line (powermac) will have an advantage. If powermac's race to 1.4 gigahertz, sure thatll be nice. if they top out somewhere in 2003 at 2GHz, than i will have been wrong.
Thats not going to happen though. Despite their claims to the contrary, the mega-hertz myth is still strong. Apple needs a g4 line that can advance, guess what... they have it right now! The Imac and eMac will grow over the next year and reach 2GHz, but their big brother isn't going to wait.

Let me put it this way...
If Apple continues to put g4's in the powermac, until the g4 is maxed out... are they going to start putting g5's into the eMac? How else would they manage to sell new e/Imacs?
the g5 is coming... and when it gets here the e&i macs will take the g4 to 2 gigahertz. the last domino is the ibook g4 (apple has announced it already havent they, ibook SE?)

anyways... continue..
-c

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 07:45 PM
I'm here in the Apple store at Clarendon and got a first hand look at the eMac. Its sweet, much nicer than I expected and if I was in the market for a cheap G4 its what I'd buy. There is going to be a definite competition with the LCD iMac for potential buyers.

D

Backtothemac
Jun 4, 2002, 08:29 PM
I'm here in the Apple store at Clarendon and got a first hand look at the eMac. Its sweet, much nicer than I expected and if I was in the market for a cheap G4 its what I'd buy. There is going to be a definite competition with the LCD iMac for potential buyers.

D

I would love to have one. Anyone want to buy a Flower Power iMac 600? he,he. I think that the more I think about it, the eMac is going to be a great pull for the 5 million iMac owners out there that cannot afford the LCD.

mmmdreg
Jun 5, 2002, 07:13 AM
are they still making those iMac classics? or just selling off their stock? it really has to go now, it's like a drag on Apple...and the eMac is good news but what's its target market apart from education? Like there's not much point to releasing it to the public unless it's considerably different from the iMac which it's not...of course, it is cheaper so it might attract a few first-timers who are scared of wasting money in case their machine turns out bad but yeah...

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 08:56 AM
There doesn't seem any indication that they're closing the line, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. That might be one of the big events for MWNY, and announcement that the original iMac line has come to an end and the torch is carried on by the new iMac and the eMac. Add some *draaama* on stage with Steve, I could definitely see it happening....

Sort of like the old game show 'Its your life'