Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Arstechnica points to a new support document which details many changes that Apple has implemented into the MobileMe site in late September. Apple points out that since MobileMe is a server-side service, updates occur transparently to all users of the service:
Since server-side updates are a bit more innocuous than a standard software update to Mac OS X or Microsoft Windows, it's easy not to notice that updates are occurring. Usually the only hint of these updates is that things just "work better"]
Apple uncharacteristically details a number of changes which include many performance issues and bug fixes to all services.

MobileMe is the online mail, calender, contact and sync services available to Mac or PC users. MobileMe's initial rollout in July was marred by poor performance, downtime and some data loss.

Article Link: Apple Details Ongoing MobileMe Upgrades

bug67

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
Alaska
Still have to log in every single time I want to check my web mail. Nice that Apple's on top of it though.

Other stuff that bugs me:

1. Apple's spam filters blow!

2. Can't select a message (spam) without opening it. I need to be able to select a message and mark it/report it as spam without opening it so "they" don't know I'm a real IP address. Every other email app on the planet has this ability except Apple's Mail and MobileMe web mail.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I haven't even logged in for a few months will have to check it out and report back

NovapaX

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Dordrecht, Netherlands
Still have to log in every single time I want to check my web mail. Nice that Apple's on top of it though.

Other stuff that bugs me:

2. Can't select a message (spam) without opening it. I need to be able to select a message and mark it/report it as spam without opening it so "they" don't know I'm a real IP address. Every other email app on the planet has this ability except Apple's Mail and MobileMe web mail.

Don't know about the spam filters, but how do you mark a message as spam? By moving it to the spamfolder? If so, then don't select the message, but hit edit in the right-top corner, and 'mass' move it! (EDIT: nevermind, i was thinking too much 'iPhone')

OT, great to see some improvements.... but they need to get the photo's sorted by date (or give you some sorting options!)

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
I haven't been able to use MobileMe since my .Mac account got switched. It takes at least 25 minutes for it to load anything and then another three every time I click on an email or menu option. Not worth wasting my time. :mad:

I just use email on my iPhone or the Mail application. :)

Elloise

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
What about mail correctly using my contacts list?

So, I can send mail to any of my contacts if I choose "Email Contact" from the cog drop down in the Contacts page, but if I try to add contacts to an email that is already open (either select New, Reply, Forward etc from the mail screen) I get a severely cut down and very out dated view of my contacts (from well before the .Me introduction).

I'd really like this fixed; Anyone else get this problem or should I submit something against my individual account?

patricksan

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2008
Londerzeel, Belgium
I will be very happy when Apple creates a shared calendar for Family Package.

I really hope that news features come.

For now, the service is ok, I have no problem at all.

Clancycoop

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
I don't see what everyone's problems are with Mobile Me

Sure, 2% of users experienced data loss, and the experienced some problems getting it going but now its great. I noticed one of these silent updates when I could start typing a name in the address bar and my contacts would show up auto-fill style. (Elloise you may need to sync your account with the servers. Maybe you have it set to manual and you haven't synced it since the switch? Just a thought).

All my calendars, contacts and mail work seamlessly and whenever I do use the web version, I do feel it takes about 2 seconds longer than it should to load, but it works fine.

Thats fine if you don't like the setup, but for me it has literally worked exactly how they said it would.

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
It's not all server side. For example one odd experience with MobileMe comes from the fact that iPhone Mail supports push but OS X Mail does not.

This means that sitting at your Mac with the iPhone in the charger, it is always the phone that beeps about new mail before the (infinitely more powerful) Mac!

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Since server-side updates are a bit more innocuous than a standard software update to Mac OS X or Microsoft Windows

This is a bit of a lie, because a lot of the updates looked like javascript fixes to me, probably involving updates to the sprout core framework.

kaada

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2005
Stavanger, Norway
iDisk unbelievably slow

I don't know how it is in other countries, but in Norway the iDisk is so slow that it is practically unusable.. The only way to get reasonable transfer speeds is to use SpeedDownload. It would be nice If Apple could do something about that, because I know for a fact that it’s not just me that is affected by this…

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I don't know how it is in other countries, but in Norway the iDisk is so slow that it is practically unusable.. The only way to get reasonable transfer speeds is to use SpeedDownload. It would be nice If Apple could do something about that, because I know for a fact that it’s not just me that is affected by this…

In the UK it's unbelievably slow too, Apple don't care about the international users, they just want your money, I've stopped the auto-renew feature and am moving away from Apple's e-mail services. £59 a year + £30 a year for family pack..... that's £80 or $131.87

sgntscrawn

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
I don't really get spam. Then again, I use my hotmail address as my 'spam' account, by using that to sign up to any registration things that I'm not all that keen on.

I'd have to agree with those from Norway and the UK, iDisk is sorta slow for me, too, here in Australia. Apart from that, I quite like Mobile Me. Although, I am glad I had a .mac account before - I like the @mac.com e-mail far better than @me.com

Victoriatus

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2002
Oulu, Finland
In the UK it's unbelievably slow too, Apple don't care about the international users, they just want your money, I've stopped the auto-renew feature and am moving away from Apple's e-mail services. £59 a year + £30 a year for family pack..... that's £80 or $131.87

iDisk is so slow that it's unusable in Finland. It's almost impossible to use it in Finder, but with Transmit you at least get a chance. I can get about 300 KB/s download, but only 30 KB/s upload, and I get 0,5-1,2 MB/s to and from other places. 30 KB/s is just pathetic, and completely useless for anything more than an occassional megabyte or two. :mad:

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Still have to log in every single time I want to check my web mail.

The two-week login window works for me. Not sure what's wrong with your system.

Based on my own 24 email accounts, and managing multiple email servers and spam filters for over 400 customers, I've found the spam filtering in Apple Mail and on the server to be pretty darn good in comparison to the rest of the filters I've used. Like any analytical filter, it requires some training using your own email.

Can't select a message (spam) without opening it. I need to be able to select a message and mark it/report it as spam without opening it so "they" don't know I'm a real IP address. Every other email app on the planet has this ability except Apple's Mail and MobileMe web mail.

Wrong. Both the desktop app and the webapp support a 2-pane view (the 3-pane is default). In Mail.app, just drag the divider to the bottom of the screen. In me.com, go to Mail Preferences... and choose the 2-pane view option. Easy.

ummm... isnt it supposed to work well in the first place?

And ideally, my car would get 1000km on a tank of gas. One day, but not today. There's always room for improvement.

Do you get lot of junk mail on your gmail account? cause I do get a lot of 'em!! more and more of banking spam too!!
apart of that its good.

I check my gmail accounts in Mail.app, and what gmail doesn't catch as spam, Mail.app does. I get zero spam in my Inbox.

Just go into gmail settings and turn on the IMAP option. Then add the account to Mail.app, and map the folders accordingly. Easy.

rayz

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2002
And ideally, my car would get 1000km on a tank of gas. One day, but not today. There's always room for improvement.

But if you'd just bought your car and it only gave you 10km on a tank of gas, then you'd think there's a problem, right?

DeekinBlooz

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
The Apple site lists improved performance in Windows. About time! Accessing MobileMe via my Dell at work is painful! Bring it on!

Now, if they would just get MobileMe to sync with my Exchange-based Outlook calendar and contacts instead of making me go through Plaxo!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.