PDA

View Full Version : older, well-supported FW audio interfaces

field pi
Oct 30, 2008, 05:41 AM
Hi all,

Well I pulled the trigger last night. Bought a MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 15" 200GB 2G RAM from the Apple Store last night for $1,349. It's more $ than I told myself I was going to spend, but ... :D:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:!! Now I just have to tell my wife.

In another thread a nice fella told me that he uses a 7 year old MOTU 828 (the MK-i) that still works great and, most importantly, is still supported. After last night's layout that's the kind of thing I can swing for the time being.

What other firewire digital audio interfaces do you all recommend that are older but work great and are still supported to run with Mac/Logic? Anywhere from 4 to 8 I/O, more if you got 'em. Perhaps a separate category of 2 I/O? I know these things have come a long way in recent years, but of all the other expenses I have to come this one I can be patient with and can live with "less" for a while.

Thanks in advance,
Excited newbie!

dazloe
Oct 30, 2008, 06:50 AM
Hi there, I'm investing in a MOTU Ultralite mk3 soon, but it might do you good to check out an ultralite mk1 or mk2. You can sometimes find them on ebay for a bargain, so if second hand is what your looking for that might be a good option :)

I couldn't find an overview of the mk1 or mk2, but here's 3: http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite-mk3

There haven't been to many major changes between models, but maybe someone might have a link to an older version, hope that helped :)

field pi
Oct 30, 2008, 07:06 AM
Thanks dazloe, and I may just end up with a MOTU product. Maybe there's no need to look further; lord knows enough people talk about them in these threads.

But has anyone experience with another interface (see original post, in bold)?

Thanks again.

Big Boss Man
Oct 30, 2008, 08:51 AM
I have a five year old MOTU 828mkii that still works great. Any of the MOTU products are safe bet. You are not really getting the best converters, clock, and pres. You are getting though a stable and affordable interface that has proven itself for many years.

field pi
Oct 30, 2008, 02:25 PM
... You are getting though a stable and affordable interface that has proven itself for many years.

That right there's the ticket, sums up what I've got to purchase for now.

But whoa, no other products recommended out there like this? Does MOTU rule the roost and that's that? (Heck, makes it easy I guess if it is true.)

Let's Sekuhara!
Oct 30, 2008, 03:22 PM
Look into the Presonus FireBox. It's been around for a long time and is pretty popular. Like most interfaces of its kind it it's FW400, not 800 so you'll need a converter.

Also, I always check Amazon reviews for all products I'm comparing. Amazon will show you similar items other people have bought as well. Sometimes you'll stumble across better items you didn't know existed.

Luap
Oct 30, 2008, 05:34 PM
But whoa, no other products recommended out there like this? Does MOTU rule the roost and that's that? (Heck, makes it easy I guess if it is true.)

MOTU were pretty much the first on the scene with firewire audio interfaces, and their MK1 828 (Which I mentioned in that other thread).
Metric Halo also brought one out close to, or around that time. So you just wont find any Firewire audio interfaces more than 7 years old. And certainly none that are still as well supported as the MOTU is.
I don't expect them to support the thing forever though of course! But im grateful it's been supported for as long as it has, and that it has never given me any trouble.
Still, if I was buying again now, I still think the MOTU's are well worth a look. Nice solid interfaces :)

MowingDevil
Nov 1, 2008, 09:18 AM
Sweetwater just had the Tascam FireOne on sale for $99 but it might be soldout, can't find it on their site anymore.