Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dogdog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2004
I'm really deliberating about getting an iPod now but every time I think I'm going to buy one I get this awful feeling that the new ones will come out next month, all tricked out with new goodies, and I'll be stuck with a dinosaur. When's the estimated next release? I could wait until spring...but fall? I don't know if I can hold out that long!

laserbeahm

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2004
Central Valley, CA
I bought the 10 GB iPod the week before Christmas last year, and as you know a couple of weeks later they replaced it with the 15 GB model. To tell you the truth, I was not really disappointed. Chances are, they won't release any new iPods being that they just changed the line. Even if they do, the iPods out now will serve you just fine. There will always be something newer around the corner. You can't sit around forever waiting.

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2004
I bought two 10 gb iPods...one right before xmas, the other right after. When I heard about the 15 gb, i emailed apple and they gave me a $50.00 credit for each iPod. I was pretty happy about that.

Buy the iPod. They're amazing.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Put it this way I have a 30 GB iPod and it is half full with some 250 CD's so I still have plenty of space for storing files and backing up. I can't see many people needing more than 40 Gigs, I would buy now with confidence. Yes I am sure Apple will enhance the iPod in some way to keep ahead of the competition, but that will always be the case, when ever you buy an iPod something better will come out in 6/9 months time.

Dogdog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2004
well I broke down and got the 20, which should suit me just fine. I've been wondering, when they update the firmware will it be possible to upload it? Like new features and games...I wonder if they'll make that possible...

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
Yes, you can update the software on your ipod, they've released updates for it in the past.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
what could they change about the ipod that would make you feel bad about having this "dinosaur?" For me, the only real improvement that I would care about would be better battery life.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
the only thing that matters is that you get the ipod that matches your needs. If will only use 5 gigs, get the 10 - if they bump up the based model to 20gigs, you still will only use 5. If you need more, buy the larger drive now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.