Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrappledog

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Apple should release an iTouch/iPhone Solar. With solar cells on the back. Would obviously still need regular charging with lots of use, but could slow power drain and would be a good selling point.

Maybe this isn't feasible. I'm not an expert.

niemo810

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2007
I think that's an efficient idea, but how often is your phone sitting in direct sunlight? It's probably not a very good idea to bake your phone for extended periods of time. I just don't think it would catch on.

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
I don't think this would be practical since:

1) You'd have to keep the iPhone out (not in pockets/bags) to use solar.

2) Prolonged exposure to the sun would cause heating issues and degrade the battery life.

3) The surface area on the iPhone wouldn't be big enough to provide enough power.

It would be better to have a bag or clothing that's more likely to be exposed to the sun and have a bigger surface area to collect power and then have an outlet built in to plug in devices (not just an iPhone)

I think these products are already out there or are currently being developed.

scrappledog

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Good points. I hadn't really thought it through. A few years back I was following a company that manufactured solar bags that could help charge all sorts of devices. Has this caught on?

YodaEXE

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
The big problem with solar power at the moment is that I believe we can only actually use about 10% of the energy collected from the sun. In fact, it might even be less than that. The solar cells that we use just aren't efficient, and thus not worthwhile. Until we get more efficient solar cells, solar panels and such won't take off.

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
The big problem with solar power at the moment is that I believe we can only actually use about 10% of the energy collected from the sun. In fact, it might even be less than that. The solar cells that we use just aren't efficient, and thus not worthwhile. Until we get more efficient solar cells, solar panels and such won't take off.

Agreed.

I thought this recent article about solar cylinders (instead of panels) was interesting.

http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/21473/

Master Debater

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
I remember reading some time ago that Apple submitted a patent for there to be solar panels under a device's screen that would allow it to charge without adding bulk and other stuff.

Seems like a pretty good idea if it doesn't cost that much.

Funplex

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I remember reading some time ago that Apple submitted a patent for there to be solar panels under a device's screen that would allow it to charge without adding bulk and other stuff.

Seems like a pretty good idea if it doesn't cost that much.

It would be interesting if they had light panels that would recycle the light output by the iPod display-- back into the battery.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
perhaps solar adapters (attached at the dock or something) or iphone/pod cases that could effectively distribute the solar power and not harm it.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina

Actually we're at about 40 percent now -- but I'm not sure how much of that technology has percolated down to consumer products.

archi17

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Australia
I think i remember an apple patent that was published on MR a while ago, and they had the solar cells under the display of the glass, so the iphone/ touch would charge whenever it is in the sun

CBGFilms

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2008
Or how about me walk about with solar panels on our heads, and a wire connection to the iPhone, then we'd be cool!
060511172850s.jpg

Or on your bag, genius!!
talk2myShirt_DIY_Solarbag.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.