Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lumpydog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
Any existing MBA ownsers selling thier current Air and buying the "new" models announced on the 14th?

Abbas

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Dubai
I'm very satisfied with my current-gen MacBook Air. About the only two things that would make me upgrade at the moment is a higher-res screen or 4GB of RAM neither of which are part of the upgrade. So I'll skip this one

@

rittchard

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Any existing MBA ownsers selling thier current Air and buying the "new" models announced on the 14th?

Not sure if I will sell my existing MBA yet, but I will be buying the new version, so yes!

Reasons have been posted in many other thread, but suffice to say I was sold on the new graphics improvement alone.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I definitely am. The whole time i've owned this Air (which I like plenty) I've wondered what it would be like with just the update we have now (SATA, 45nm-same form factor)

I'm pretty sure it will run cooler , although I don' think very much cooler,but enough to make a difference as these things are hyper sensitive.

throw in a SATA ssd and i'm floating on Air.

(Thing is, my resale value for rev A just dropped to nothing so I'll have to skip the floating ...I guess.)

Grizzly Adams

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
It would take a much bigger update or change for me to sell my current Air to get a new revision. The latest change produced nothing that would make me consider it.

twist2b

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
North Carolina
Isn't it hardware changes... all you have to do is send your current one in for an upgrade am i right? maybe not, but that would be nice. Its still the same in features so........

Seems tech has caught up with the MBAir idea though. It feels like the start of Goodyear tire story revisited.

for those that don't know, the guy that made the first rubber tire (Mr. Goodyear) was ahead of his time. Even though rubber was WAAAAY better, it was not excepted until RIGHT AFTER his death (he ended up being in MUCHO GRANDE debt trying to push this idea)

Anyways, I say when 2010 rolls around the AIR will have the hardware we all want.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
It would take a much bigger update or change for me to sell my current Air to get a new revision. The latest change produced nothing that would make me consider it.

I think it depends on what you want to do with it. My present Air is fine for light tasks and runs very cool.

But if I try to do anything that requires oomph it goes china syndrome.

Also, apparently this new cpu update has a huge cache and much faster buss.

But the real selling point for me is the SATA drive as I presently have the slowest drive possible, but will few weeks, have a very fast SATA SSD

I would call that an update

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Isn't it hardware changes... all you have to do is send your current one in for an upgrade am i right? maybe not, but that would be nice. Its still the same in features so........

Seems tech has caught up with the MBAir idea though. It feels like the start of Goodyear tire story revisited.

for those that don't know, the guy that made the first rubber tire (Mr. Goodyear) was ahead of his time. Even though rubber was WAAAAY better, it was not excepted until RIGHT AFTER his death (he ended up being in MUCHO GRANDE debt trying to push this idea)

Anyways, I say when 2010 rolls around the AIR will have the hardware we all want.

That would be nice but I would not count on it. It really will depend on the LCD connection and these things are not standardized. They've added a new graphics chip so I would count on incompatibility even though it's the same screen and everything else looks the same (besides the mini-display port)

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
No way! I love my Air and the deal I got. IMO, the Air is NOT worth spending $1700+.

You can get about $1000US for the gen 1 Air still so it's really only spending $700!

Ok. that's a lot, but It will only take a few years using my paper route money (just kidding)

(I'm unemployed)

twist2b

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
North Carolina
You can get about $1000US for the gen 1 Air still so it's really only spending $700!

Ok. that's a lot, but It will only take a few years using my paper route money (just kidding)

(I'm unemployed)
Seriously? How about the gen 1 with SSD? If its 1500 for the older version I would SOOOOOO get it.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Seriously? How about the gen 1 with SSD? If its 1500 for the older version I would SOOOOOO get it.

Here's the thing

From what I gather the SSD's in the gen1 are PATA drives. These are apparently very limited in speed compared to what SSDs are capable of in SATA form (we're talkin 3x faster)

There's no upgrade path along these lines.

twist2b

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
North Carolina
Here's the thing

From what I gather the SSD's in the gen1 are PATA drives. These are apparently very limited in speed compared to what SSDs are capable of in SATA form (we're talkin 3x faster)

There's no upgrade path along these lines.

For instance the SSD (the fastest you can get in there) in the gen 1 gets about 50mb/s reads. Whereas the SATA SSDs can get about 160MB/s reads. These aren't just technical non-real world numbers they are real- 'you can feel them' stats.

Bit frankly, this is conjecture as I haven't used any of this . But it's fairly informed conjecture.

So take it with a grain, and wait until we get the beef (whatever this means)

NEAT! So the first gen air with ssd is not that great? I am not going to buy one till next year for college, so I might aswell get that SSD :) Thanks for the info!

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
NEAT! So the first gen air with ssd is not that great? I am not going to buy one till next year for college, so I might aswell get that SSD :) Thanks for the info!

Not that great.

They are obsolete....big time.

It didn't make ANY difference with the 4200rpm HD having the IDE connection as it's just a 'trickle in a hose' , and the Samsung 64mb drive wasn't all that much better.

but todays SSDs are torrents.

twist2b

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
North Carolina
Not that great.

They are obsolete....big time.

It didn't make ANY difference with the 4200rpm HD having the IDE connection as it's just a 'trickle in a hose' , and the Samsung 64mb drive wasn't all that much better.

but todays SSDs are torrents.

Thats awesome.... your making me more excited by the minute :eek:
You think the air will update in 09?

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I'm hoping refreshed Air is a winner. I'd like to replace my 1st gen. but only because the disk keeps getting full. The other goodies will be nice too but disk space is my biggest Air issue right now.

WorldIRC

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2005
I just got the 1st gen air for a really good price.. We'll see when the Air's hit shops here locally. If I am within my exchange period I'd consider it for the SATA interface and DDR3 ram

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
Specs of the new MBA sound good, but what counts for me is real world performance. Does it feel that much cooler or is video playback that much more smoother under normal use. I've never had a problem with my 80GB HD, plenty fast.

I'm more than thrilled with my MBA and so far see no reason to upgrade it. The people who seem to be most unhappy either don't own one or are pushing the MBA's limits into MB and MBP territory.

shokunin

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005

(I'm unemployed)

I can't believe how fast the Rev A's prices have fallen, I can't remember any other mac losing 40+% in value in 9months time.. Even, 4 year old PPC Mac mini's have held their value.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
im waiting the review, if the new 45nm fixes the heat issue away, im buying it !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.