PDA

View Full Version : 3 Days With OS X - Adopter Thoughts

No1451
Oct 30, 2008, 02:56 PM
So I finally got my new MacBook, after much waiting and worrying about what state it might be in, on Tuesday this week. Just wanna lay down my thoughts on the OS as a new user(first Mac I have touched since grade 8) and grab some opinions/tips from others who have just jumped over.

So first, a bit of history and some important info:

1) I am not a Windows fanboy, I use whichever OS best suits the needs of type of machine I aim to build/buy
2) I am still epically new to OS X and am still learning the ropes
3)Computers are a part of my everyday life, and while I'm not awesome with them, I can hold my own in most operating systems thrown my way

So after my few days of using the new machine I have my general thoughts and feelings about the OS, some pros and some cons(no bashing please, this is just opinion, nothing more)

Pros:
-Good software/hardware integration, its all very well laced together, using the new trackpad is a dream, and having multitouch integrated into most parts of the OS makes the whole experience very nice

-Clean, minimalist look, very appealing for me, I like that the actual interaction with the OS is very low-key and doesn't really intrude on actually USING the machine

-Application installation, I just have to say WOW, they nailed it right on the head. This is the closest thing I have seen to the perfect app handling model I have ever seen

-Bundled software, the curse of a Windows computer, if purchased from a vendor they usually load it down with 10ft of crap. Not necessarily the fault of MS, but their partners really need to take a lesson, THIS is how I want my machine to ship, the basics and nothing else

-Easy, robust networking options. This was more of an issue in XP(which for the record, had GARBAGE network handling) rather than Vista, but in OS X its nice and easy to use, without being overpoweringly complex.

-Stacks, they are interesting, and fairly functional while still managing a bit of flare

Now the cons, and yes there are a few:

-Weird window behavior, it may just be me but I find when I close an item in System Preferences without going back to the full list I can't make System Preferences come back onscreen until I forcibly quit the app from the dock. Just me or a common occurrence?

-Lack of a system tray. Now this is a weird issue for me, I LIKE an OS that doesn't intrude into my vision too much, but at the same time I had gotten accustomed to the way I can easily plop information into my system tray on Windows.

And finally, my biggest issue:
Mac shipped hardware only. I know that you can get a hackintosh up and running, but you really lose something in the translation. I wouldn't mind having Leopard on my gaming machine, mostly for managing my iPhone, since Windows support I find to be sketchy at best.

Anyway, those are my first impressions, overall I am pleased, my friends all told me that the OS would suck, and I have received a lot of criticism, but I figure that a computer is a tool like any other, and I use whichever OS works best for the situation, Windows for my gaming rig, Linux for my router/file server and finally OS X for my runabout laptop.

Anyone else who's a recent switcher, chime in please:)

Keleko
Oct 30, 2008, 03:03 PM
For system-tray like ability, there are programs that will put information in the menu bar. What kind of stuff do you want to see?

iShater
Oct 30, 2008, 03:25 PM
And when you close the Pref Pane of anything you are actually closing the Preferences applications. It is an annoying bit in OSX, you have to do the Show All to back to main, but I close it all the time by accident, and I have been using OS X for 5 years now :p

I am trying to get used to just hiding it, or I might get one of those apple bar apps that will give quick access to the preferences.

And the menu bar/task bar issues has been answered already.

Good luck!

No1451
Oct 30, 2008, 03:30 PM
I like to run with my vital stats showing, cpu heat, hdd heat, that sort of thing. The most accurate way of showing stats that I have found so far is iStat Pro, but its a Dashboard widget and it doesn't want to stay floating on the desktop, which makes it sort of useless to me:).

I'm glad the Preferences thing isn't just me.

dukebound85
Oct 30, 2008, 03:35 PM
try this, istat menus. this will be in your menu bar and not dashboard

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/25230/istat-menus

or this (although not as pretty gui wise imo). this will be in menu bar and sepwerate windows if you like

http://www.bresink.de/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

i personally use both lol as temperature monitor also keeps logs of temperatures which can be nice at times

both are free too:)

fpbecker
Oct 30, 2008, 03:35 PM
I like to run with my vital stats showing, cpu heat, hdd heat, that sort of thing. The most accurate way of showing stats that I have found so far is iStat Pro, but its a Dashboard widget and it doesn't want to stay floating on the desktop, which makes it sort of useless to me:).

I'm glad the Preferences thing isn't just me.

iStat menus (http://islayer.com/apps/istatmenus/) does what you want. And it's free.

neonblue2
Oct 30, 2008, 03:36 PM

Well if you're happy with iStat Pro, why not iStat menus?

http://islayer.com/apps/istatmenus/

Or MenuMeters?

http://ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/

Edit: Gah! Fast people.

No1451
Oct 30, 2008, 03:39 PM
Awesome, thanks:). Its a bit weird, I know what software to chase down for a Windows install, but I am completely clueless as to what OS X software to use. So weird to be using a totally new OS.

dukebound85
Oct 30, 2008, 03:41 PM
Awesome, thanks:). Its a bit weird, I know what software to chase down for a Windows install, but I am completely clueless as to what OS X software to use. So weird to be using a totally new OS.

thats me when it comes to windows. i know how to use it but i dont know what software to use for things lol

Keleko
Oct 31, 2008, 09:11 AM
I was the same way when I switched to OSX in late Feb. This forum has various threads on "favorite apps" that I looked at to find things.

Something else to look for is Perian and Flip4Mac to get video codec support that Apple doesn't include in Quicktime. With those installed you should be able to play just about any streaming or downloaded video you find.

TheHoff
Oct 31, 2008, 09:18 AM
I was the same way when I switched to OSX in late Feb. This forum has various threads on "favorite apps" that I looked at to find things.

Something else to look for is Perian and Flip4Mac to get video codec support that Apple doesn't include in Quicktime. With those installed you should be able to play just about any streaming or downloaded video you find.

New adopter here as well.

I didn't understand the point to Flip4Mac when VLC plays all of the same files without having that annoying translation delay at the start.

to the OP: there are a few quick mac shortcuts that you might miss at first... my favorite: expose - F3 and then also COMMAND-F3 will move everything aside to show you the desktop.

petermcphee
Oct 31, 2008, 01:10 PM
Similar to the OP, I am a switcher. I have found OS X to be easy to use and very functional.

The only thing that I have had a hard time getting used to is having to quit an application (like firefox) once I have closed the window. I imagine I will become accustomed to it as time goes by, but I occasionally whine about it to anyone who will listen.

ingenious
Oct 31, 2008, 01:14 PM
And when you close the Pref Pane of anything you are actually closing the Preferences applications. It is an annoying bit in OSX, you have to do the Show All to back to main, but I close it all the time by accident, and I have been using OS X for 5 years now :p

I am trying to get used to just hiding it, or I might get one of those apple bar apps that will give quick access to the preferences.

And the menu bar/task bar issues has been answered already.

Good luck!

I don't get this System Preferences behavior? I don't have this problem. I can go to any pane, hit the red globe, and it quits. It's because Sys Prefs doesn't spawn any new windows, just like iPhoto (normally).

dangerfish
Oct 31, 2008, 01:35 PM
Similar to the OP, I am a switcher. I have found OS X to be easy to use and very functional.

The only thing that I have had a hard time getting used to is having to quit an application (like firefox) once I have closed the window. I imagine I will become accustomed to it as time goes by, but I occasionally whine about it to anyone who will listen.

"CMND Q". This closes all open windows and quits the application at the same time. Works for everything.

petermcphee
Oct 31, 2008, 02:17 PM
"CMND Q". This closes all open windows and quits the application at the same time. Works for everything.

Thank you for the tip. This keyboard shortcut is what I have been using. It's just a wee bit different than the method that I am accustomed to (i.e. closing the application window and moving forward with my life), but I guess it's the differences that made me a switcher in the first place.

whooleytoo
Oct 31, 2008, 03:01 PM

I use both OSX and XP; and funnily it's this functionality in Windows that bugs me. If I want to close a window in (say) Firefox and open a new one, I tend to hit the close button and boom, app has quit, I have to relaunch it to open a window. Keeps driving me nuts.

On OSX, I tend to use the app switcher a lot. Apart from switching apps using both the keyboard & mouse, it's also veryuseful for hiding & quitting apps (and it integrates well with Expose).

vansouza
Oct 31, 2008, 03:16 PM
http://www.opensourcemac.org/

iShater
Oct 31, 2008, 03:24 PM
I don't get this System Preferences behavior? I don't have this problem. I can go to any pane, hit the red globe, and it quits. It's because Sys Prefs doesn't spawn any new windows, just like iPhoto (normally).

That is what we are complaining about. It closes the System Preferences application, when we want that specific item in there to go away (i.e. we have to click the Show All) to go back. Since they are all enclosed in the app window vs. launched from it.

Darth.Titan
Oct 31, 2008, 04:12 PM
That is what we are complaining about. It closes the System Preferences application, when we want that specific item in there to go away (i.e. we have to click the Show All) to go back. Since they are all enclosed in the app window vs. launched from it.

No, actually if you read the OP's post he says:
"when I close an item in System Preferences without going back to the full list I can't make System Preferences come back onscreen until I forcibly quit the app from the dock first."
You don't have to force quit to relaunch System Preferences in your scenario, you just relaunch.

Therefore it sounds like System Preferences may not be quitting like it should. Maybe a permissions repair might help?

iShater
Oct 31, 2008, 04:26 PM
No, actually if you read the OP's post he says:
"when I close an item in System Preferences without going back to the full list I can't make System Preferences come back onscreen until I forcibly quit the app from the dock first."
You don't have to force quit to relaunch System Preferences in your scenario, you just relaunch.

Therefore it sounds like System Preferences may not be quitting like it should. Maybe a permissions repair might help?

Ha! What the fiddlestick was I reading last night? :o