Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamTM

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Stafford, UK
If I used an optical cable into my MacBook's line in jack, would the MacBook output the sound via the current speakers I have hooked up by default?

eg: audio source -> optical cable -> MacBook -> stereo cable -> speakers

zenspeaks

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2007
Yorkshire, UK.
The line in and line out are independent of each other. So, I should reckon that your output will not be affected with what you are feeding in.

WilliamTM

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Stafford, UK
The line in and line out are independent of each other. So, I should reckon that your output will not be affected with what you are feeding in.
Not what I meant. :p

What I mean is, if I send the optical audio into the MacBook, will it output it via the speakers?

zenspeaks

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2007
Yorkshire, UK.
Hey William!
I know there are plugins that allow you to do that. I think there is something called Soundflower that allow you to manipulate the sound in and sound out of the audio in Mac. Basically, I had a whole load of those plugins fitted in as I wanted to record Skype audio through Garageband for a Uni project (and was broke to purchase a paid-for app). While I am not a pro in telling you how to configure it, I can say that there exist a whole ton of plugins that allow you to do so! Here is a link...you may have to mine out more info to tweak it. Soundflower.
Cheers and all the best.
Zen!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.