PDA

View Full Version : logo feedback wanted

jeremy.king
Feb 5, 2004, 02:11 PM
A while back I asked for logo donations, but nobody bit.

Now I have created my own and wanted some feedback to see if people like it.

www.geckoscript.com

Again, the site will be dedicated to cross-browser development and at some point would include samples and tutorials. Like their isn't enough out there already :)

Thanks for any comments and BE HONEST, please :)

-JK

hotwire132002
Feb 5, 2004, 02:27 PM
I like the logo. It's not exactly my style, but I like it.

PixelFactory
Feb 5, 2004, 02:39 PM
The eyes on the Gecko are a little distracting. We tend to be drawn to look at eyes. Maybe losing the white lines will help. Also the script font doesnt seem nessasary. Otherwise very good.

Mr. Anderson
Feb 5, 2004, 02:45 PM
Not bad, but I'd incorporate the gecko more with the logo. Replace the green box with a gecko and have the text around that instead. That way it becomes more iconic.

D

jeremy.king
Feb 5, 2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Not bad, but I'd incorporate the gecko more with the logo. Replace the green box with a gecko and have the text around that instead. That way it becomes more iconic.

D

I am far from a photoshop guru, so I only have limited capabilities (text,bevels, drop shadows, basic shapes, x-ray vision, and super human strength :D )

I petitioned the masses here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48127)

but no takers...

sonofslim
Feb 5, 2004, 03:00 PM
honestly? i'd lose the green box. with the two fonts plus the typish* gecko tail you've already got plenty to look at. as is, the gecko is pulling double-duty. let him be part of the lettering, or let him add a little dynamic action by crawling out of the box, but he's just a little guy -- don't overwork him.

i've always thought people should take their logo, make it black & white, and shrink it down to half an inch to see how it's going to look under 'realistic' usage. if it doesn't look good on a business card or tucked up in the corner of a web site, it needs to be simplified.

then again, i've always been in the less-is-more school of art directors (bam! notice how i slyly worked my credentials in there?). it's a good start, though -- looks like you didn't really need a logo donation after all.

*typish: typography wonk term. meaning: using letterforms or characters in a "cute" way.

Chip NoVaMac
Feb 5, 2004, 03:30 PM
I like it overall. The comments on the eyes seem to on target. I like the green box. I would suggest a more Southwest font for the word "gecko".

PixelFactory
Feb 5, 2004, 03:35 PM
Mr Anderson and sonofslim make good suggestions. Here is a quick render with a similar non condensed font.

Chip NoVaMac
Feb 5, 2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by PixelFactory
Mr Anderson and sonofslim make good suggestions. Here is a quick render with a similar non condensed font.

Like the Gecko, but prefer the tail being part of the "S".

neut
Feb 5, 2004, 04:18 PM
anyone hear of this thing called drawing?

it's the first thing you should do. got a scanner or a digi-cam?

peace.

jeremy.king
Feb 5, 2004, 04:18 PM
I didn't like the box either.

I like my bright green. So I reworked it. Is it too much???

rueyeet
Feb 5, 2004, 04:19 PM
I'd have suggested getting rid of the box, using a single font, and making the gecko green--but looks like you beat me to it. :)

Originally posted by sonofslim
i've always thought people should take their logo, make it black & white, and shrink it down to half an inch to see how it's going to look under 'realistic' usage. if it doesn't look good on a business card or tucked up in the corner of a web site, it needs to be simplified.

I think that's what may still need improving. A good logo should be iconic enough to stand on its own without the accompanying text, even when shrunk down, and still be instantly recognizable. Right now the logo is much longer than it is tall, which will make shrinking it difficult, and relies mostly on the text.

Of course, I'm not a certified art director, so you can take anything I say with a salt lick or two.

EDIT: Idea--Flip the gecko so he's underneath the text, then you can make it more like

Gecko
(tail)cript
(rest of gecko)

That way it's more condensed, and can be tucked into corners of sites and business cards.

jeremy.king
Feb 5, 2004, 04:28 PM
This one degrades nicely. I doubt I would ever have to go smaller than this.

As for business cards, I don't see a need to print them. So I am not too concerned about printability.

Check it out

hotwire132002
Feb 5, 2004, 04:56 PM
Love the version you have now. Now that's more my style :D

TEG
Feb 5, 2004, 06:16 PM
I like it, but a few suggestions.

1) Could you incororate more Geckos into the image.

2) Having live in Hawai'i, I'll tell you that Geckos are not that bright. Please just a little less brightness. Bright colors, besides bringing attention to your image, it does have the ability to physicaly impare people (feelings of nausea, and dizzyness, and huge headaches), please think about people blowing chunks all over their keyboards and mice.

Other than that it is awesome.

TEG

mnkeybsness
Feb 5, 2004, 06:48 PM
in your latest logo posted... let's talk a little...

i noticed that there is a SLIGHT shadow around the text and the gecko... though this works alright... you aren't following the rule KISS (keep it simple stupid)... i would say get rid of it, even though it's barely noticeable... it MAY work alright for around the gecko... but logos should always be as simple as possible.

you may also run into a problem with the gecko being too tall... but then again, you may not... it's just something to be aware of.

always be conscious of the colors you are using. these colors should be the basis for everything that your company, or whatever, are going to be based on. WONDERFUL use of websafe colors!

all in all... the aesthetics of the logo are there... just some minor tweaking and you may be set.

jeremy.king
Feb 5, 2004, 09:20 PM
Thanks everyone for your positive and constructive comments.

I do like what I finished with, however, I will incorporate some of the remaining suggestions. I realized the drop shadow seems excessive due to the distance of 5 pixels. I think I will drop that down to 2-3.

Also, TEG, I realize that geckos aren't that green, but I wanted something to stand out. Hopefully the content of the site will offset the nausea :)

You know at some point I may need some content contributors, anyone interested? If so, PM me.

Take care all!

-Jeremy

arson
Feb 6, 2004, 09:52 AM
I'd get rid of the photoshop effects on the Gecko and pick a more subtle green... other than that I think it looks great!

TheBunnellFarm
Feb 8, 2004, 08:20 AM
Close,

Try the cript in green.

Tom