PDA

View Full Version : More than 4Gb RAM in iMac

Detektiv-Pinky
Oct 31, 2008, 01:23 AM
Over on the MacBook lists there ist this continuing talk about putting more than 4Gb RAM into the machines.
The *Books seem to support (1+4 and 2+4 configurations just fine, 4+4 does not seem to work well).

Has anyone tried this with a current iMac?
I can't believe that nobody with an iMac is interested in this, because I think it would be even more useful to have 6Gb on an iMac than on a MacBook...

I would try it myself, however I am in the middle of writing a thesis and can't afford to risk it just now.

aki
Oct 31, 2008, 01:30 AM
i have read other posts about imac 8gb ram but never a good answer yet

Detektiv-Pinky
Nov 1, 2008, 03:12 AM
Ok, after this massiv outbreak of silent disinterest about the issue (which I can not really understand, because all those MacBook guys are soooo excited, they almost wet themselves) I decided to take matters in my own hand and be the first to install a 4 GB RAM module in an iMac. Man must go boldly into uncharted territory!

Having said, I went to find a suitable 4 GB SO-DIMM to buy and install. And this is where I was stopped already:
A 4 GB PC2-5300 SO-DIMM costs 320€ from Crucial :eek:
This is 12-times more than 2 GB! They don't even offer 4 GB PC2-6400!

Probably you knew this already and only wanted to be polite - it was news to me and needless to say I am not progressing with my little experiment. Maybe next year when prices have come down a bit...
:o

Cave Man
Nov 1, 2008, 09:57 AM
You want to look for the G-Skill 4 GB DDR2-667 PC2-5200 CL5-5-5-15 SO-DIMM. A lot less expensive.

dudup
Nov 2, 2008, 10:41 PM
I'm looking for a 4gb stick to my 2.4ghz Mid '07 iMac but I'm having trouble finding it on Brazil, I would love to check if 6gb is feasible.