PDA

View Full Version : new mb or mbp?

Ocin
Oct 31, 2008, 08:15 AM
Hey guys,

I read this forums for a while now but now it's time to start participating:)
After seeing the keynote i decided that i want a new notebook from Apple but I'm still unsure what model to pick.
At the moment i have a 2.16Ghz, 1gig ram, ati X1600, 120gb hd mbp.
I would like to sell that model and buy a new one.

I'll mainly use the notebook for webdesign; photoshop, dreamweaver, flash and some java and php coding.
Now I still play warcraft 3 but as soon as Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 comes out I'll start playing those games as well on a regular base.

You guys would say go for an iMac but that isn't an option. In the week I'm at my student home and the weekend I'm at home and i need to be able to work on my design projects.

The reason i doubt is that I'm unsure if 13inch will do for webdesign and the fact that the mb screen is inferior compared to the macbook pro screen.

So your input guys would be more than welcome!
Thanks

scienide09
Oct 31, 2008, 09:02 AM
Can I ask, what's wrong with your current MBP that you want to sell it to get another MBP? It's still a good machine -- throw more RAM in there, and you'll be good for another year or two.

For all the design and coding functions you mentioned, a new MB will be fine.

Gaming? Get an MBP. Or find a non-Apple laptop.

dizzlemizzle
Oct 31, 2008, 09:35 AM
if you're convinced you need to upgrade then i would go for a pro. the extra screen real estate would be nice for the games as well as photoshop. also the extra graphics power will help in the games and photoshop...i'll be glad to take that MBP off your hands once you upgrade :p

sangosimo
Oct 31, 2008, 09:50 AM
the graphics cards don't help much in photoshop. http://gizmodo.com/5070561/macbook-vs-macbook-pro-hardcore-graphics-death-match

the macbook will probably play sc2 and diablo3. get a macbook and an external monitor or keep your pro. Don't waste your money on a macbook pro for webdesign or gaming when you could just build a windows desktop.

MatLane
Oct 31, 2008, 09:53 AM
If you old macbook is ok, just give it a little upgrade in the ram

and it should be alright

If there is no need to renew then i would not bother buddy.

ML

Scepticalscribe
Oct 31, 2008, 12:33 PM
I'm with the other posters on this one. What's wrong with your existing MBP? It's a great machine, and will do all that you ask of it (and more); as the others suggest, just get a bit of extra RAM, and you should br fine.
Cheers