Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Hi everyone,

I know that there's a thread elsewhere on a similar topic, but the core question seemed to get lost...

In a few months I'm going to be looking to get a new cell phone and having one that is bluetooth enabled in a must (for reasons that I won't get into), and what I'd really like is a flip phone. I've done some searching, but the only phones I've found that are bluetooth enabled are not flip phones.

So, does anyone out there know of a bluetooth enabled flip phone?

Thanks!

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
The Motorola V600 is supposed to be out soon. It's a GSM phone though, so don't expect it to work with Sprint or Verizon. It's going to be released for AT&T, but you should be able to pick up an unlocked one on ebay and use it with any GSM carrier.

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Are there any Verizon wireless bluetooth phones? Their service is excellent, but they always seem to have the bad phones for the market.

Ben

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Originally posted by saabmp3
Are there any Verizon wireless bluetooth phones? Their service is excellent, but they always seem to have the bad phones for the market.

Ben
You're hitting a very sore spot there. You should come over to Howard Forums and hear us Verizon customers complain about the lack of Bluetooth. Almost everyday there's a new thread about the lack of Bluetooth. I have been very tempted to switch to T-Mobile so I can go online with my PB over BT, but I'm not going to abandon Verizon's excellent coverage. I've heard that VZW will get BT at the end of the year, as the newer EV-DO phones come out. Patience....:rolleyes:

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
i totally reccommend the Z600. it's a Bluetooth Clamshell phone. and it works very well with iSync and macs, just like any Ericsson phones. but it's GSM, so maybe you should switch. i thnk GSM is much more convenient anyway, no need to call a CSR to switch phones, just pop the SIM anywhere you want. :)

Toeknee

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Hey Ryan how much did the Z600 cost? Must already have it in canada b/c i wanna get it and AT&T cant say whether they'll get it. I want another Sony Ericcson to replace my T68i and im leaning toward the Z. I already have GSM and the 600 seems like a hauss fone.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
the cheapest retail price i've seen in Canada is 509CDN$ from http://www.puremobile.ca

i however, got mine for 432CDN$, so it's possible to haggle with some people and get a better deal. if you go http://www.howardforums.com and check their Marketplace or BST section, there might be some good deals. i 'think' i've seen some selling it in the states for around 350-400 USD.

so yea, the price is definitely falling, but not fast enough that it'll be worthless too soon. it's a great phone, so i'd say go get yours now. :) the screen is awesome and the RF is as good as the golden age of the R520m and T39m. i get signals everywhere except the subway, where nobody ever gets signal anyway. and the sound quality is very good. everybody told me they thought i was from landline. :)

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Thanks everyone. You've been incredibly helpful. I like the look of the Z600, and I may well end up going that route, especially if I can find a decent price on it. Again, thanks!

:)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by MoparShaha
You're hitting a very sore spot there. You should come over to Howard Forums and hear us Verizon customers complain about the lack of Bluetooth. Almost everyday there's a new thread about the lack of Bluetooth. I have been very tempted to switch to T-Mobile so I can go online with my PB over BT, but I'm not going to abandon Verizon's excellent coverage. I've heard that VZW will get BT at the end of the year, as the newer EV-DO phones come out. Patience....:rolleyes:

Agreed. I'm going to hold out a while and wait until verizon get's their new highspeed dominating network updated before getting another phone. I just got a T730c this last week and love the thing so far. I can get online with a cable but I would really like bluetooth. Oh well I can wait. Blue tooth is just a power drain until all the bugs get worked out.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Originally posted by adt
The Sony Ericsson Z600 (flip mobile with bluetooth)
The Motorola V600 (flip mobile with bluetooth)

Both released or to-be-released early 2004.
Ah, thank you. Didn't know about that phone. Everybody gets Bluetooth but me....:(

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Originally posted by MacBandit
Agreed. I'm going to hold out a while and wait until verizon get's their new highspeed dominating network updated before getting another phone. I just got a T730c this last week and love the thing so far. I can get online with a cable but I would really like bluetooth. Oh well I can wait. Blue tooth is just a power drain until all the bugs get worked out.

Does the T730 work with iSync at all? I am going to be switching to Verizon later this month and was seriously considering that phone.

Hickman

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Just to clarify a little more:

Z600 = T610 w/TFT screen in a flip form and no joystick.

T610 has only got a CSTN screen (slower response - not as bright)

V600 = some other phone = moto is ok - but more people like blokia or se.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Brian Hickman
Does the T730 work with iSync at all? I am going to be switching to Verizon later this month and was seriously considering that phone.

Hickman

Yes it works great with iSync. I wish iSync was a bit more customizable on what it synced but that's not the fault of the phone.

I am very impressed with this phone and Verizon has a lot of software you can download from their Get It Now network. They have a few demo games as well. I have played demos of XIII and Splinter Cell on the T730 in the last couple days and I have to say the graphics and game play put the original Game Boy to shame and are pretty close to that of the new Game Boy. This is really impressive out of such a small device.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, it's a big sore spot with us Verizon users. The re were actually 2 phones that supported BT on the Verizon network in the past (Sony Ericsson T61c and Motorola Timeport P270), but they're old with B/W screens, no games, etc, and they only support Bluetooth via attachments, the P270s being more elegant (battery attachment, nothing sticking out). Also, they're both candybar (non-flip) style phones, so they're not what you're looking for.

Sprint has the Sony Ericsson T608 in limited quantities, but it is a candybar.

Your best bet right now is to go with a GSM phone. Unless you live in a non-metropolitan area, in which case your GSM service is probably somewhat lacking.

selloutvixen

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2003
Connecticut, USA
Originally posted by benixau
Just to clarify a little more:

Z600 = T610 w/TFT screen in a flip form and no joystick.

T610 has only got a CSTN screen (slower response - not as bright)

V600 = some other phone = moto is ok - but more people like blokia or se.

The tri-band Z600 is supposed to be leaps and bounds above the T610 or T616. With the palm applications and the gaming extras, it's a whole other level. The TFT is nice, though. Really really expensive if you need to replace it, though.

I have the V400, which is basically the V600 without bluetooth. It's an awesome phone, aside from lacking palm abilities. The ringtones are kind of lacking, but the TFT is bright as anything. (you could illuminate a small cave with this phone's brightness on LOW) The voice memos, picture caller ID, 1000 phone book capacity, calendar, alarm clock, currency converter, and quad band world roaming ability is awesome as well. On more of a style level, the V600 is a lot more attractive IMHO.

Both are excellent phones.. just a matter of your needs. I'd probably advise getting some kind of phone insurance if you get either of these, though. The TFT display alone could cost you a bundle to replace if it ever broke, so make sure the insurance covers this.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
the V600 is a heavy competitor for the Z600. however, here's the caveat, althou i'd love to get a V600, it costs DOUBLE that of the Z600, and we don't know how well the Bluetooth implementation is or how nice the new interface will be. it's stil a motorola. on the other hand, the Z's BT is rock-solid, and its interface is pure Ericsson (very nice). if the V600 shows to be a good player, i'm all for it. BUT then i'm already getting excited about the T650 and the GSM version of the S0505i. :D those two will give the V600 a run for its money. :D

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
a little off-topic

Could someone explane to me what the diffrece is between CDMA and GSM. My Sprint service expired after christmas, so i ported my number back to Verizon (they have the best service in my area). I replaced my old Sprint Samsung A500 with the Verizon Samsung a310s. I was lokking for a Bluetooth phone before i boght my Samsung phone, but Verizon only carries that Moto 710 (i think). Anyway, I would of liked to have gotten a Sony Erricson phone, but they are only used with AT&T and T-Mobile in my area. Their service supposedly sucks in my area.

I just wanted to know if i happened to get a Sony Ericsson (however you spell it) Z600 phone how well would it work around the Toledo, Ohio area? I assume that the GSM network has something to do with Satelite service. Would this mean i would have serice evreywhere?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: a little off-topic

Originally posted by Sweetfeld28
Could someone explane to me what the diffrece is between CDMA and GSM. My Sprint service expired after christmas, so i ported my number back to Verizon (they have the best service in my area). I replaced my old Sprint Samsung A500 with the Verizon Samsung a310s. I was lokking for a Bluetooth phone before i boght my Samsung phone, but Verizon only carries that Moto 710 (i think). Anyway, I would of liked to have gotten a Sony Erricson phone, but they are only used with AT&T and T-Mobile in my area. Their service supposedly sucks in my area.

I just wanted to know if i happened to get a Sony Ericsson (however you spell it) Z600 phone how well would it work around the Toledo, Ohio area? I assume that the GSM network has something to do with Satelite service. Would this mean i would have serice evreywhere?

Okay to clear things up cell phones do not work with satellites period.

For an explanation of all the different cell phone technology abbreviations heres a good site I found searching on google just now.

http://www.cellularfone.us/resources/cellular_access_technologies.php

It looks like to me you may have some pocket of area that aren't covered by digital. In this case you would want a tri-mode phone that is analog capable so that you can travel through these areas and still have service. I live in Oregon and the better half of the state is not covered in Digital and I travel out there so I have to have a Tri-Mode phone. From what I have seen there are no analog capable Tri-Mode phones with cameras or blue-tooth. Even if there are the Verizon is the best provider in Oregon for digital and analog coverage and they don't have those phones.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Re: Re: a little off-topic

Originally posted by MacBandit
Okay to clear things up cell phones do not work with satellites period.

From what I have seen there are no analog capable Tri-Mode phones with cameras or blue-tooth.

Verizon has the Audiovox CDM-8900, which has a camera and is tri-mode. No Bluetooth, though. It's supposedly not as good as it's competitor, the LG VX6000, though, which is digital-only.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Re: a little off-topic

Originally posted by ibookin'
Verizon has the Audiovox CDM-8900, which has a camera and is tri-mode. No Bluetooth, though. It's supposedly not as good as it's competitor, the LG VX6000, though, which is digital-only.

Yes, thanks I've already made my choice for phones but it's good to know that such a phone does exist.

Has anyone else noticed that there are now tri-mode phones on the market that are marketed as being digital only?

smknappy

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2003
What are the expected retail costs for the v600 and z600?

It sounds like the z600 will likely sync much smoother with the mac... is that correct?

Also, will both function as a wireless modem for my powerbook? Thanks!

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
V600 retails at around 749USD, Z600 as around 400USD. :)
we don't know how well the BT and sync system works in the V600 yet, but the Z600 is definitely very very solid. Ericsson was one of the main players in the BT consortium, so they know their BT and it's alays worked flawlessly, even from the very first BT phones like the R520 and T39. and the T6xx and Z600 is definitely a solid performer in terms of BT and compatibility with iSync and macs. so you have nothing to worry about if you choose Ericsson (or SE now - but i like to believe that all the technology are still more driven by Ericsson and looks by Sony).

and when price comes into play, it's a no brainer. :D

of course, there's the T650 and the GSM version os S0505i coming. they will supposedly have:
-MP3 support
-1.3 MP camera
-higher memory or maybe even expandable
-Video recording/playback
-new BT that goes up to 100ft (or 100m - mobile-reviews wasn't clear about this)
-Bluetooth protocol 1.2
-Quad-band (850/1900/900/1800 - the whole nine yards)

but supposedly they'll come either Q3 or Q4 2004. so i guess the Z600 should be a nice phone to use until these bad boys come along. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.