Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markjewiss

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Dunmow, UK
Hi there,

I've seen a few similar queries in the history, but nothing that quite covers my setup, and I'm after some advice please...

Currently I've got an original Xbox running XBMC, and it's mainly used for music and watching XVID avi files. It's connected to a 1080p LCD via component cable, and my amp via optical. I'm pretty happy with it, but I'd prefer something that is quieter, and makes my life easier. I also want to start watching 720p content, and the Xbox processor just isn't up to the job.

I'm thinking of the ATV - it's smaller, quieter, and if I run XBMC on it I'll be able to play all of my content. I'll also be able to (I think) have it sync the preview images from my Aperture library (the same way that Front Row on the MBP does), and (again I think) setup an ATV playlist in iTunes so that new music is synched as well - much easier than the manual FTP sessions that I currently have to go through.

I keep my media on an external drive, which I mirror to a second instance weekly, or after major changes. I put what I want on the Xbox with FTP, and delete TV shows and the like after they've been watched.

I guess I'm effectively saying I know the ATV would be good for me in some ways, and I need help convincing myself to spend the cash! :) BUT, is there another, cheaper solution out there already? I've looked at the Freecom Media Player kits, but they don't support the HD content... I don't want to spend the money building a Windows solution, and I don't really have a spare Mac Mini...

Any suggestions?

Mark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.