Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

racerboi25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
I bought my 2G iPod Touch (16GB) 2 weeks ago, and whilst i do love it to death (best gadget ever) the constantly crap battery life has annoyed me no end
Now atm all i manage to get is 7-10 hours battery life (and that's just music usage)..there is a little wi-fi usage in there (say 20-30mins) but other wise wifi, along with fetch, location services & auto-brightness, stay off
I'd take it back to Dick Smith (where i purchased it from) but iv chucked most of the original packaging which they require in order to return products...so will taking it for exchange at the Apple store inside Chadstone be alright?

I'm not taking "put up with it" as an answer...whilst i don't expect the iPod to totally deliver on the 36hours advertised, at least 20-30hrs would be nice to see

snowlancer2720

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
I'd say thats just about what i get too, i got mine on tuesday. I'm sure the problem lies with the wi-fi, even though you're not using it, it's still connected and is using battery for it, you could probably get more life if you completely turn the wi-fi off by going through the settings menu

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I'd suggest getting an external battery backup. I've reviewed 2 on my site and they both work really good.

The battery on iPhone/iPod's just isn't good. :/

davidy

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
When you're not using Wi-Fi you need to go to Settings > Wi-Fi and set it to OFF. Also, unless there's some reason to stare at the screen when music is playing, Turn The Screen Off.

You should get 20-22 hours of music on a fully charged battery and the Wi-Fi and backlight off. With the backlight on you should get around 8-9 hours.

M. Poirot

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2008
I bought my 2G iPod Touch (16GB) 2 weeks ago, and whilst i do love it to death (best gadget ever) the constantly crap battery life has annoyed me no end
Now atm all i manage to get is 7-10 hours battery life (and that's just music usage)..there is a little wi-fi usage in there (say 20-30mins) but other wise wifi, along with fetch, location services & auto-brightness, stay off
I'd take it back to Dick Smith (where i purchased it from) but iv chucked most of the original packaging which they require in order to return products...so will taking it for exchange at the Apple store inside Chadstone be alright?

I'm not taking "put up with it" as an answer...whilst i don't expect the iPod to totally deliver on the 36hours advertised, at least 20-30hrs would be nice to see

Is your WiFi on when you're listening to music? This will dramatically decrease your battery life.

batteries are never at their best when you first start using them. i've found they take a little usage before they reach their best performance.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Turn off wifi, charge the batteries all the way, then do a music playback test.

You should get at least 20 hours if the screen is off the entire time.

If not, then you can take it in to an Apple Store for service/replacement. You don't need the box and other stuff, they read the serial right off your unit which tells them how much warranty you have left, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.