PDA

View Full Version : Alpine finally releases car audio headunit with true iPod in...

MacBytes
Feb 5, 2004, 10:32 PM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Alpine finally releases car audio headunit with true iPod integration (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040205233203)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Jimjiminey
Feb 5, 2004, 10:55 PM
I bought an adapter that attached to my stock radio from logjam electyronics. the stuff they sell attaches where a cd changer would. Then that comes out with the red/white audio jacks. You hook the i pod to this and use the remote control on the ipod.
This Alpine is cool, but too much $$ and in a company car, i was not allowed to modify the system.
Check out logjam, they have almost every vehicle listed and the way to play your ipod through your stereo without a transmitter or a new in-dash equipment.
Very nice people too!

iJon
Feb 5, 2004, 11:05 PM
i like it, but i just hate those head units. I just like the stock look of mine, i dont like all the flasy lights and all that stuff. I am going to get the PIE adapter (same as blitzsafe, but works with Jeeps) and hook up my ipod like i did in my old car.

iJon

nagromme
Feb 6, 2004, 04:12 AM
That's really cool. So much more elegant than an in-dash dock: your iTunes library shows up on the in-dash screen and your iPod can be hidden away.

What's the price?

QuiteSure
Feb 6, 2004, 07:10 AM
This is old news (old, as in from MWSF). Won't be shipping until "later in the summer" and no details (including price) available. This piece made it seem that Alpine's shipping schedule was miraculously moved up 6 months.

I don't know how the headunit will look, but I'm very interested in adding an aux in port into my new Prius. Any thoughts on adding one cheap?

dloomer
Feb 6, 2004, 08:28 AM
it looks so "Alpine" though ... I'm sure a lot of iPod users are going to at least wish for one that had more of an "Apple" look ...

Anyway, I'm behind the game but this is the first I had heard of this iPod Ready Strategy. Sounds cool -- the connectivity API could just as easily be used for a home stereo component, and allow companies to overcome some of the limitations of eyeHome and Squeezebox, namely that they can't play songs bought from iTMS...

By the way, what is the meaning of "release" when it apparently has nothing to do with the product actually being available to the public for immediate purchase?

Mudbug
Feb 6, 2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by QuiteSure
This is old news (old, as in from MWSF). Won't be shipping until "later in the summer" and no details (including price) available. This piece made it seem that Alpine's shipping schedule was miraculously moved up 6 months.

I don't know how the headunit will look, but I'm very interested in adding an aux in port into my new Prius. Any thoughts on adding one cheap?

the point of this is that they released what it looks like (click the link) and that's the first step in that direction. Before now, this had been somewhat of vaporware...

nagromme
Feb 7, 2004, 12:19 AM
Actually I have pretty much settled on a Prius myself, too:

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/show_photo.php?picid=50807

But I don't think you can replace the Prius stereo--it's all integrated with the touchscreen (running Linux) I am told. So I too will likely seek an AUX input for an iPod. There's a Prius Yahoo Group that I found helpful a couple of years ago, and I think it's still around. Maybe check there to see what can be done. I'd settle for an A/B switch tucked under the dash, to toggle the CD changer vs. the iPod. (And I'd seldom use the changer)

The coolest would be to display the iPod tracks on the Prius touchscreen! I highly doubt there's any way to modify the software though--and I don't think I'd want to! "Hacking" my OS is one thing. Hacking my car's computer? No thanks.

excalibur313
Apr 11, 2004, 11:49 PM
http://icelink.densionusa.com/
it allows you to hook up and control your ipod through the cd changer input