Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sigmondfreud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting my friend an ipod for their birthday, however they live overseas in England while I live in the US. If I buy an iPod here and mail it over, will it still work since it'll be a different country?

Thanks,

Sigmond

Sigmondfreud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Yeah, it would charge via USB.

Though you're really certain it would work? I don't want to spend $200 and have it not work. ^^

Thanks for your replies!

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I've got a US iPod classic here in the UK, the only difference is the volume level isn't limited like the EU models.

Both myself and my brother had them as gifts from the USA and my brothers was DOA. The Apple Store in Solihull replaced it without question, so you don't have to worry about warranty issues either.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Yeah, it would charge via USB.

Though you're really certain it would work? I don't want to spend $200 and have it not work. ^^
USB power is standard, so no worries there. It will work. :)

The only reason that I mentioned USB, is some folks like to charge via a power adapter so they don't have to connect to their computer, or they want to charge their iPod during a short trip where they don't take their computer with them but still want to be able to charge their iPod. I know a few who do this here in Japan.

If memory serves, the power plugs are different between the US and England. So if they purchase an Apple USB Power Adapter in England, there will not be a plug issue. On the other hand, if you purchased it for them, then they would need a plug adapter kit for US to England plugs.

Personally, I would leave the power adapter purchase up to them and just go with the iPod.

Sorry if I confused you. Just trying to give a complete picture.

I am sure they will be very happy with your iPod gift. :)

Sigmondfreud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Ahhh, I see. Thank you very much for your explanation! It really does help. =)

I'll be sure to mention the power cable thing. ^^

Thank you again! Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Sigmond

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Of course it will work. Just make sure that you have the appropriate a/c charger and the correct adaptor pins/plugs for the country in question (easily bought at airports, or electrical outlets). I travel a lot, and my iPod always accompanies me, so I have world wide adaptor pins, which work when attached to the a/c at one end, and the wall socket on the other.

Cheers

vorkorsigan

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto
Apple chargers are rated 100 - 240v 50 - 60Hz. That covers everywhere in the world pretty much. All you need is an adapter or the Apple interchangeable plugs for their charger. In fact any large enough USB type charger will work, I use my ipod charger from an ipod photo to do both my Ipod touch and Blackberry and have done this in everywhere from Russia to Chile.

If you are using your laptop to charge then it's just USB as already said

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.