Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
I just picked up mine and this sucker is bad hopefully this experience goes much better than my MB experience
Congrats and good luck. Give us your thoughts. I'm curious how it feels on your lap while watching a movie or doing other somewhat heavy tasks.

iKennett

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
Congrats and good luck. Give us your thoughts. I'm curious how it feels on your lap while watching a movie or doing other somewhat heavy tasks.

Been watching the BBC iPlayer with the laptop on my lap... its warm but not hot to the touch. Only streaming mind!

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
Been watching the BBC iPlayer with the laptop on my lap... its warm but not hot to the touch. Only streaming mind!
So do you think you'd be comfortable enough if watching a two hour movie, that your legs wouldn't overheat? Or would you need a pad? I guess some ideas of warm are different than others. I have to use a pad for my old white 1.8Ghz MacBook, if I use it for more than 10 minutes at a time.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Wow, the OP could have at least given more details other than saying, " I just got my 2.0". I say whoopie....until you give us specs, performance, heat levels. Come on man, more info. :)

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Handbrake 25fps encoded w. iphone/ipod touch presets.

Temp. varied from 77-85º. Oddly enough, even though it got hot processor wise, the case didn't heat up as much as my rev. 1.

Oh yeah, I took it apart. It has a ZIF connector also. Thing is almost identical to my gen. 1 except the proc. board.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Handbrake 25fps encoded w. iphone/ipod touch presets.

Temp. varied from 77-85º. Oddly enough, even though it got hot processor wise, the case didn't heat up as much as my rev. 1.

Oh yeah, I took it apart. It has a ZIF connector also. Thing is almost identical to my gen. 1 except the proc. board.

Stupid question(s):
Is the ZIF connector preferred?
If your SSD uses a ZIF connector then does that mean that possibly the HDD version does to, this bringing me to assume I can buy the HDD version of the AIR and upgrade to a SDD at a later date if I so choose?
Heat (which I've asked you before ;) ): While the temps rise above what the current gen MBs see, you said the case doesn't get as warm as the rev A Air. How does the heat compare to the current gen MBs -- the heat of the case to the touch of your wrists mostly?

FFTWarren

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA, USA
I got the 1.86/128. and let me say this sucker blows that 2.4 macbook out the water. this thing is so fast its rediculous. by the time you do the three finger sweep to page back, the page is already at the previous page.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Stupid question(s):
Is the ZIF connector preferred?
If your SSD uses a ZIF connector then does that mean that possibly the HDD version does to, this bringing me to assume I can buy the HDD version of the AIR and upgrade to a SDD at a later date if I so choose?
Heat (which I've asked you before ;) ): While the temps rise above what the current gen MBs see, you said the case doesn't get as warm as the rev A Air. How does the heat compare to the current gen MBs -- the heat of the case to the touch of your wrists mostly?

The ZIF is a little odder of a connector but at least it's SATA and there are more manufacturers.

Wrist area has no heat but the rear gets warm.

And it does get warmer than the new MB's but they are some of the coolest computers I've used Apple-wise (MB's).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I got the 1.86/128. and let me say this sucker blows that 2.4 macbook out the water. this thing is so fast its rediculous. by the time you do the three finger sweep to page back, the page is already at the previous page.
Kid, you're killing me! From your OP to this, wanna give in and give some sort of technical review? Trust me, I get the excitement though. :)
The ZIF is a little odder of a connector but at least it's SATA and there are more manufacturers.

Wrist area has no heat but the rear gets warm.

And it does get warmer than the new MB's but they are some of the coolest computers I've used Apple-wise (MB's).
Thank you
And fwiw, my rear is usually warmer too. I'm just sayin' ...
So is there an upgrade path from HDD to SSD you think?

FFTWarren

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA, USA
I know nuthing about computers in case you couldn't tell. all I know is that this bad boy is fast and I love it. The xbench reviews are really good. as far as HDD vs SSD, in the last MBA there was no comparison so yeah after seeing the video on the 2 trying to open several task simultaneously the ssd blew the hdd out the water. there was no way I would spend that much on the hdd and have the ssd just blow it out the water. so any specific questions I can give you my opinion on it but as far as technical stuff i'm illiterate.

epicycle

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2003
Chicago Area
I put together a review of my MBA R2 experiences here:

http://www.wideasleep.com/blog/?p=127

It as a bit to long to post here so I figured I would put it on my website. In short it is a perfect replacement to my MBP and I was surprised how well it performed at compiling, WoW gameplay, video, etc. I've been using the machine for around 36 hours now and can't say the heat has been an issue at all. I posted heat numbers while gaming etc. Nothing unexpected ... 79 degrees while gaming in WoW with a high level of detail.

RealEvil

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2007
I put together a review of my MBA R2 experiences here:

http://www.wideasleep.com/blog/?p=127

It as a bit to long to post here so I figured I would put it on my website. In short it is a perfect replacement to my MBP and I was surprised how well it performed at compiling, WoW gameplay, video, etc. I've been using the machine for around 36 hours now and can't say the heat has been an issue at all. I posted heat numbers while gaming etc. Nothing unexpected ... 79 degrees while gaming in WoW with a high level of detail.

I am in a similar position to you were, though I am a .Net Windows developer via VMWare Fusion, so your experiences with XCODE were interesting. The thing that stops me getting a MBA is the screen resolution. 1200*800 is really quite low. I currently have 1400*900 on my MBP and I guess you had much more on your MBP. How are you coping with scrolling a lot more?

epicycle

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2003
Chicago Area
I won't lie, it's been a huge change. Im going from seeing side by side docs and many lines of code to making my dock smaller and learning the keyboard shortcut to hide show the dock. What makes a world of difference is the MBA can handily drive the 24" display which is more in line with my at home workflow. When I'm mobile I think the low resolution will be fine, I'll let you know Monday.

RealEvil

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2007
I won't lie, it's been a huge change. Im going from seeing side by side docs and many lines of code to making my dock smaller and learning the keyboard shortcut to hide show the dock. What makes a world of difference is the MBA can handily drive the 24" display which is more in line with my at home workflow. When I'm mobile I think the low resolution will be fine, I'll let you know Monday.

Ok great, I will check back on this thread tomorrow!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.