PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy old iPods new?

Pjr17
Nov 1, 2008, 02:59 PM

grantbeest
Nov 1, 2008, 03:18 PM
My 3rd generation iPod recently died. Having been my first iPod, I was used to using it and find it easier to navigate than my iPhone. I would like to buy one new (unopened, unused). Is there a place that I could buy a 3rd generation iPod new?

Every shop sells them still, should do anyway currys and dixons will if not check ebay :D:D

maclover001
Nov 1, 2008, 03:21 PM
Why not just get a Nano or Classic?

Nov 1, 2008, 04:47 PM
I don't think you can still by the 3rd gen new since it is a really old edition iPod. Also, there really isn't much point in doing so since they are very outdated. I would recommend just getting a Nano or Classic. You can get the previous generation pretty cheaply on the refurb or clearance section at the online Apple store.

chris200x9
Nov 1, 2008, 05:46 PM
Why not just get a Nano or Classic?

maybe he wants to run ipodlinux ;) Apple is a butt and its not installable on the classic or new nanos because of encryption and copy protection issues. :o

Pjr17
Nov 1, 2008, 08:12 PM

Nov 1, 2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks guys, I'm just afraid that the new classic will be outdated soon (and I'm not a huge aluminum fan).

Well wouldn't a 3G iPod be a little more that a bit outdated too? ;)
They were just updated so I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you were referring to the form factor, but that will be replaced by the iPod touch eventually which I don't think you're interested in.

maclover001
Nov 1, 2008, 09:35 PM
maybe he wants to run ipodlinux ;) Apple is a butt and its not installable on the classic or new nanos because of encryption and copy protection issues. :o

I just wish someone would release a good media player that lets you run whatever the hell you want on it without restrictions.

YOU bought it. It's YOURS. Why should a company put all these restrictions on it?

chewbaccacabra
Nov 1, 2008, 10:22 PM
It took me a little while to get used to the classic coming from a 4th gen. Give it a chance. You will appreciate the extra space. At this point you would probably end up paying a "collectors" price for a boxed older ipod. I will recommend getting a refurbed 160GB on the Apple site. Room to grow.

doobi18
Nov 1, 2008, 11:56 PM
I'm just afraid that the new classic will be outdated soon (and I'm not a huge aluminum fan).

5th gen / classic are the same hardware wise (apart from aluminium), though the classic has revamped software/UI

I would suggest that the current classic will remain for a while and eventually be the last click-wheel iPod.

Scarlet Fever
Nov 2, 2008, 12:11 AM
I would suggest that the current classic will remain for a while and eventually be the last click-wheel iPod.

I would hope the clickwheel will be around for a long time. As cool as the touch is, I much prefer physical buttons.