Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Hello everyone,

So a while back I was contemplating getting an HV20 to go with my new black macbook. I ended up returning the macbook for various reasons, and taking a break from any future video projects.

However now I'm ready to move forward and purchase a camera. I recently bought the previous model MBP new (the Penryn edition). I plan on using Imovie and perhaps FCE for my video projects. Those video projects are:

1. My acting reel (a series of scenes I plan on producing, shooting, and editing, featuring myself).

2. A series of cooking videos featuring family members, etc.

3. Potentially a short film I just finished writing.

The short film project may be a non issue only because I may hire a crew to help me shoot the film, so my new camera may not be involved. But when it comes to my acting reel and cooking videos, my new camera will be used.

So my question is, what do you suggest I get for a camera? I'm thinking of gettng something that shoots in HD, but I won't be using blue ray discs, etc.

I read this in another post:

"people are simply shooting in HD and down-sampling to SD Widescreen so that we can output to standard DVDs. There is some quality loss, but still far better quality than shooting in SD."

Do you agree with that statement? If so, what HD camera should I look at? I'd prefer it be a Canon and something that works well with Imovie and FCE. Also, I'd like to spend at the most $1,000.00.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Pikemann Urge

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2007
melbourne.au
I think the HV20 has been updated and the model you may want is the HV30. I have an HV20 and I like it heaps. I use FCE4 and zero problems.

I agree with the statement that downsampling HD to SD widescreen is better than shooting SD. Two reasons:

1. You have an HD version if you want/need it later

2. HD allows progressive capture which is very useful - I don't use SD/interlace except for things I know will only go up on YouTube

I recommend that you always shoot progressive - I do! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.