Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Albion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Hi all.

Have had a continuing problem for the last few days, and I'm at the end of my tether and hope someone can provide some advice.

I Have had one ATV connected wirelessly to a 2.4ghz b/g AEBS network connected to my iMac for the last year and it has worked more or less flawlessly. I took the plunge this week to purchase a second HDTV for the living room downstairs (first HDTV, iMac and AEBS are upstairs), so in preparation I purchased a second AEBS which I placed downstairs and connected it to my network as "extending the network". I also decided to change the settings over to 5 Ghz N, as I was under the belief this would be more robust.

When I installed the new ATV downstairs I at first received very slow throughput on syncing, actually not syncing any data at all, even though the network signal strength on the ATV indicated 5 bars. It eventually dropped out completely and was from that point on unable to connect to the internet. It was at this point that my existing ATV also dropped out and was unable to connect to the internet as well.

I contacted Apple support and to make a long story short, they concluded that despite my strong signal strength, there was too much interference on the 5ghz N and I should drop back to 2.4ghz b/g. They thought it may be my portable phones in the house, but they are 2.4ghz so this doesn't ring true.

So I'm back on the 2.4ghz network now, my ATV downstairs still refuses to sync and has a signal strength of 3 bars, which may be sufficient for trouble free streaming, but I still can't believe this is a better setup than what I had before. So, I still don't understand why the ATV's couldn't connect to the internet on the 5ghz network and only on the 2.4ghz network, but short of saying that it was interference (despite the strong signal) I'm at a loss to come up with another suggestion.

Is there a way I can check interference on this bandwidth? Any other ideas how I can connect up to my 5ghz band?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Alan Schenk
Houston

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
5 Ghz frequencies do not penetrate walls as easily as 2.4 Ghz frequencies can. I suggest you use 2.4 Ghz in 802.11n only mode if you are having problems with signal strength.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I had the same problem, and found N@5Ghz to be pretty much useless. I've switched over to using N@2.4Ghz and it's much better - ATV will actually stream reliably now.

Albion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
I had the same problem, and found N@5Ghz to be pretty much useless. I've switched over to using N@2.4Ghz and it's much better - ATV will actually stream reliably now.

Thanks for the response. is there a benefit to using 2.4Ghz N rather than 2.4Ghz b/g? I'm assuming less interference? Any other benefits?

Regards

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Thanks for the response. is there a benefit to using 2.4Ghz N rather than 2.4Ghz b/g? I'm assuming less interference? Any other benefits?

Regards

The whole point of 802.11n is increased range and speed... so use N-only if you don't need the compatibility with older devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.