Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

packetjunkie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Looking for a basic docking station, but would like it not only to charge the iPhone/Touch but have audio output that can be connected to my laptop docking station.

I see alot of "iPhone" docking stations at BestBuy, but does it have to say iPhone 3G to know it works with mine?

gospel9

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
May I ask what's wrong with the official 3G dock or if you have a case that supports it, the universal dock by Apple?

They seem to fit your needs perfectly. I use mine only for charge, and I have its audio out hooked up with my desktop speakers (which I no longer use, just my new macbook with external monitor).

threezero

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
^^^ nothing wrong other than they are $30 and $40

something that was included in the 2g.....

packetjunkie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I went by the Apple store today and paid $49 for the universal dock with remote control. I'll give it a try; I didn't know there was one, this seems to be just the ticket.

reliantj

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
eh.

if i was gonna cop out money for something like that, i wouldn't just buy a regular dock.

i'd buy something like this
DC910_37-GAL-global

you can turn the dock into landscape mode as well and it's wallmountable.
model DC910
$117 on amazon.com

gospel9

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
I went by the Apple store today and paid $49 for the universal dock with remote control. I'll give it a try; I didn't know there was one, this seems to be just the ticket.

Hope that worked out for you.

I love the minimalist design of the universal dock/3G dock.
It's so small that I often carry it with me when I travel.

The Apple remote is also very nice to have around. It works with macbooks and Apple TV as well.

Personally, I think the price is fair.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
eh.

if i was gonna cop out money for something like that, i wouldn't just buy a regular dock.

i'd buy something like this
DC910_37-GAL-global

you can turn the dock into landscape mode as well and it's wallmountable.
model DC910
$117 on amazon.com

That's really cool. I'm using the Logitech speaker dock for $130 because I like the rechargeable battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.