PDA

View Full Version : Macs & Favorite Breakfast Foods

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 08:20 AM
ok in the traditional jefhatfield way & under the influence of dukestreet...

we have, yet another, "Macs & _____" thread...

so what is your favorite breakfast food? do u eat in front of your Mac?

usually I have a chocolate soy protein shake w/sugar free wheat toast...

yes I know having the same thing each morning would probably get boring...but then I suppose I could say I'm preparing for that whole "being married to the same woman for 30 years is like having the same cereal every morning" scenario...I'm a loyal guy...he he he ;)

on occasion...I do breakfast for dinner...either turkey sausage/bacon or veggie sausage...egg beaters...same toast as above...and a huge glass of oj :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 08:29 AM
I don't want to take any credit for this one, I just said we need more to discuss.

I'm not much of a breakfast guy. A Cliff bar and some coffee most days. Once in a while on the weekends, I'll have a bigger meal, but usually I'm happy until lunch, which is usually my biggest meal of the day.

I've done the protien shake thing, still do once in a while, throw a shot or two of expresso in, mmmmm, good. Everything you need to start the day.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 4, 2002, 08:35 AM
i try to avoid eggs kinda. but omelettes are good.

other than that. cereals are good.

i like em sweet.

you all will be disgusted...

fruit pebbles!
cinnamon life is good.
raisin bran.

oh and nothing tops chocolate chip pancakes.... word

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 08:37 AM
which do u like best?

I sometimes go to the Whole Foods Market uptown and buy up about $30 worth...Carrot Cake, Chocolate, Cookies & Cream, & any of the Ice Series are my favs... ;)

used to eat them before workouts...but I've found protein bars with 2-3 times more protein in them with nearly the same caloric intake & fat content...

usually by the time I go to sleep...I'm already hungry again...so naturally...when I wake up...the first thing I have on my mind is BREAKFAST!!! :eek: :D

lunch isn't very substancial in size...but I'll end up having some sort of snack 2-3 hours later to hold me over till dinner...

my friends make fun of me because I always seem to have the munchies...yet I have the lowest body mass out of any of them...:D ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 08:39 AM
I buy the Chocolate Peanut butter by the box. They have the best overall vitamins/minerals stats and I think they taste the best with coffee. I've had the others, but I keep coming back to the ChocPNB.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 4, 2002, 08:41 AM
i had a protein bar once when i first stopped eating meat cause a family friend wanted me to eat right.... i forget the brand, but it was a double chocolate flavor...

it was the WORST thing i've ever tasted. i took half a bite. tried to get my friend to try it, he took a tiny sliver. then i tossed it..... yuck!

eyelikeart
Originally posted by dukestreet
I buy the Chocolate Peanut butter by the box. They have the best overall vitamins/minerals stats and I think they taste the best with coffee. I've had the others, but I keep coming back to the ChocPNB.

I hear that...

have u tried the Ice Series yet? they have espresso beans in them u know...for an extra kick! :D

britboy
Originally posted by eyelikeart
... & under the influence of dukestreet...

You make it sound like he's a dangerous drug :D

I go for a light breakfast. Usually a couple of pieces of toast with peanut butter, a coffee, and a drink of water. Any more than that and i start to feel unwell. I was never made to functional early in the morning... :p

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
i had a protein bar once...

...it was the WORST thing i've ever tasted. i took half a bite. tried to get my friend to try it, he took a tiny sliver. then i tossed it..... yuck!

that's the thing...I think they are honestly an acquired taste...most people do not like them...but the Clif Bars are honestly winners with most people...

as for your cereals...to each his/her own...:D

I normally try to stay away from heavily sugared foods...which sucks because if I had one food I could eat forever without any consequences it would be chocolate...he he he ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 08:45 AM

I hear that...

have u tried the Ice Series yet? they have espresso beans in them u know...for an extra kick! :D

Yeah, there ok, but again, I'm always back to the ChocPNB. Besides, espresso beans and coffee?!? That's a tough one and I wouldn't want to be around me when it kicks in.

And jello, just like beer, not all protein bars are the same. I've tried quite a few and Cliff Bars are by far the tastiest. They are chewy, but not tough, go down easy and there are many flavors to choose from. Drop a $1 on one and see what you think. If they're fresh they will almost fall apart, older they will be a little stiffer but good.

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 08:48 AM

If they're fresh they will almost fall apart, older they will be a little stiffer but good.

very true...sometimes I get them and they literally start bending in half because they are so moist...I can just taste the Carrot Cake right now...he he he :D

do u ever shop at the Whole Foods out there in Tenleytown by chance?

it was there where I first found my now regular brand of peanut butter...Better 'N Peanut Butter...same stuff w/out the oils & preservatives...85% less fat & 40% less calories than regular peanut butter...

I have to special order the stuff from the Whole Foods here in New Orleans since they do not stock it normally...:(

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 08:52 AM
I don't go to Whole Foods, mostly Trader Joe's for the PowerBars, Safeway and SuttonPlace Gourmet, because I can walk to them. Tennelytown is way up in DC, not worth the 40+min drive from home. There are some others around, over in Clarendon right across the street from the Apple store, but the prices are sometimes too high to justify buying there.

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 08:54 AM
There are some others around, over in Clarendon right across the street from the Apple store, but the prices are sometimes too high to justify buying there.

ah...I wasn't sure where the others might be...

when I was there last year I stayed in Tenleytown at night...took the Metro everywhere...

true on the prices...they are a bit high...it's only justifiable when u can get something there that no one else carries...

jelloshotsrule
Jun 4, 2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by britboy
I was never made to functional early in the morning... :p

ohhhhh true dat!

i hate the early morning.

i might try a clif bar. it definitely was not a clif bar.

as for the job. i realize it's not that big a deal in the long run. but if i don't get THIS job, then the local graphics/video jobs well has been pretty much run dry. and thus, i'll be back to data entry or ****e like that. and plus my mom is skeptical of waiting this job out before securing something else.... so if it doesn't pay off, i have to listen to a lot of blah blah blah.

fruity pebbles baby!

jelloshotsrule
Jun 4, 2002, 08:57 AM
And jello, just like beer, not all protein bars are the same. I've tried quite a few and Cliff Bars are by far the tastiest. They are chewy, but not tough, go down easy and there are many flavors to choose from. Drop a $1 on one and see what you think. If they're fresh they will almost fall apart, older they will be a little stiffer but good.

i knew you were gonna draw that comparison.... typical dukestreet.... or something.

as i said, this was just one. not a clif bar (i remember the other one she sent was, but i didn't eat it). if i had a buck... haha. no, i will try one. i assume these things are great for say, you're about to go out and golf or something and are kinda hungry, so you eat one of these. that way you don't get hunger exhaustion? cause i have a problem with that sometimes. indeeed.

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 09:02 AM
that way you don't get hunger exhaustion? cause i have a problem with that sometimes. indeeed.

he he he...I'm the one who gets really grumpy & pissy when he hasn't eaten in a while...:rolleyes: ;)

as for the job...even though it's really in the other thread...that would suck to have to settle for something u really do not want to do...

all I can say is just not to give up...it's tough out there...especially now...which is why I'm so freaked out about seeking out another job currently...but I look at it as I at least have something to pay my bills while I am looking...

as mischief has said to me & here in the threads..."whatever's happening is the right thing"... ;)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 4, 2002, 09:04 AM
he he he...I'm the one who gets really grumpy & pissy when he hasn't eaten in a while...:rolleyes: ;)

as for the job...even though it's really in the other thread...that would suck to have to settle for something u really do not want to do...

all I can say is just not to give up...it's tough out there...especially now...which is why I'm so freaked out about seeking out another job currently...but I look at it as I at least have something to pay my bills while I am looking...

as mischief has said to me & here in the threads..."whatever's happening is the right thing"... ;)

well if i haven't eaten, and i exercise or even just play golf.... i'll get sick and weak... not grumpy and pissy. haha

as for job. see other thread. it will continue there, not here. i messed up...

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 09:16 AM
Ok, just so that this isn't a three way conversation thread....

I usually enjoy buttermilk pancakes and sausage on the weekends (Eggo is my friend :D) or blueberry muffins... I can't stand that soy stuff... Every day (well, for the most part) I have black coffee... When the coffee is good (not folgers) drinking it black is the only way to go.

How do you guys take your coffee, do you drink it at all??? I have a coffee pot on the fridge in my office at work, and another one at home. Plus there is a great coffee stand at the mall just up the street and a few coffee shops even closer to my apartment.

britboy
Jun 4, 2002, 09:23 AM
I take my coffee with two sugars and milk. We have a filter coffee machine here, which makes a lovely cup. Nice way to force those eyelids open in the morning... :D

Oh yes, on the weekends i don't bother with breakfast. I rarely get out of bed before mid-day (at the weekends :cool: ), so it'd be slightly late for that. A nice large lunch more than makes up for it though!

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 09:31 AM
Well, after about 10am, it goes from being breakfast to brunch... :D... I do that very often on the weekends since I stay up late and get up late too. I don't think there was a single day, while I was on vacation last week, that I got up before 9:30am... that was nice, to just sleep until I didn't need any more. :D

I make my coffee with the brown filters (unbleached) and get fresh ground beans (either I do it, or I have them ground for the week by the stand in the mall). Now that I like it black, I find the milk and sugar dilutes the taste too much... But coffee is the best way to shock the eyes into opening up, any time of day. :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 09:33 AM
i assume these things are great for say, you're about to go out and golf or something and are kinda hungry, so you eat one of these. that way you don't get hunger exhaustion? cause i have a problem with that sometimes. indeeed.

Absolutely. I eat them in the afternoon after frisbee after I've burned more than a few calories.

But check out the ingredients in them. Each one has different vitamins so they might be better for different occasions, you'll have to see. And eye likes those carrot cake ones, way too sweet for me, but you seem to have a sweet tooth, so who knows.

If you have an REI or Trader Joe's up there, that would most likely be the cheapest and best selection.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 4, 2002, 09:37 AM
Absolutely. I eat them in the afternoon after frisbee after I've burned more than a few calories.
But check out the ingredients in them. Each one has different vitamins so they might be better for different occasions, you'll have to see. And eye likes those carrot cake ones, way too sweet for me, but you seem to have a sweet tooth, so who knows.

If you have an REI or Trader Joe's up there, that would most likely be the cheapest and best selection.

how bout before frisbee? or during? word. i think i know the answer.

yeah, perhaps i'd prefer the sweeter ones... but i'll see

and.

hahahaha. we don't have any health food stores for miles! this is the boonies.

but, i'll be in the reston area today so if i see a store around there i'll hit it up.

and i'll grab a beer to go with it.

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 09:52 AM
having nutrients is a must before I do any exercise...I've tried weights....biking...even running in the past...on an empty stomach...and it's always been terrible...I end up throwing in the towel at least haflway though...I don't think my body is too happy with me when it has to go into storage for energy...

as for coffee...I like it made strong...usually 2 heaping spoonfulls to each cup at least...

I do use equal normally to sweeten...but if I do use sugar I use turbinado sugar...not processed....and some coffee-mate...

nice...smooth...with a kick! :D :p :D :p

jelloshotsrule
Jun 4, 2002, 10:00 AM
having nutrients is a must before I do any exercise...I've tried weights....biking...even running in the past...on an empty stomach...and it's always been terrible...I end up throwing in the towel at least haflway though...I don't think my body is too happy with me when it has to go into storage for energy...

I do use equal normally to sweeten...but if I do use sugar I use turbinado sugar...not processed....and some coffee-mate...

yeah, me too. even just playing golf. i got really exhausted and nauseous last time. then a hole later it was gone. weird.

as for sugar... funny how you won't use processed sugar but you'll use fake sugar with (i don't know how to spell it) saccharin... which is pretty terrible for you.

what exactly is turbinado sugar? just pure sugar or something?

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 10:07 AM
as for sugar... funny how you won't use processed sugar but you'll use fake sugar with (i don't know how to spell it) saccharin... which is pretty terrible for you.

what exactly is turbinado sugar? just pure sugar or something?

yeah I know...it is a practice I picked up from my ex-girlfriend...she & her mother used equal...and I suppose I've gotten used to it...

turbinado is the brown, raw sugar u see...it's a little more expensive...and it's not processed like granulated sugar that u buy in those 1 lb packages...

I'd swear it has a better taste..but who knows for sure?!

and to add another note...after my exercise routines...whether it's biking, weights, or whatever...I always either go straight for dinner or some sort of protein packed supplement...I've read numerous articles saying it's the best time to eat immediately after...helps the body absorbe the nutrients better... ;)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 4, 2002, 10:10 AM
turbinado is the brown, raw sugar u see...it's a little more expensive...and it's not processed like granulated sugar that u buy in those 1 lb packages...

and to add another note...after my exercise routines...whether it's biking, weights, or whatever...I always either go straight for dinner or some sort of protein packed supplement...I've read numerous articles saying it's the best time to eat immediately after...helps the body absorbe the nutrients better... ;)

turbinado is not straight up brown sugar is it??? cause that stuff definitely tastes better. it's great in oatmeal and stuff...

hmm, all i know is it's not good to exercise right before bed. other than that, i don't care. then again, i dont "exercise" per se....

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 10:20 AM

That stuff is the best... When we had a natural food store (while I was growing up) we would get it in. That is all I will use, and it does taste better then the processed stuff. The granules are larger in the turbo sugar, but don't let that get to you. Use it in some ice tea and you will notice the difference. With the processed junk, you just get sweet, with turbo, you also get extra flavor. :D

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 10:22 AM

turbinado is not straight up brown sugar is it??? cause that stuff definitely tastes better. it's great in oatmeal and stuff...

nah...totally different...

and as Alpha pointed out...it's much bigger granules...if u use it in espresso...be sure to stir extra long...it takes a little longer to dissolve in the thickness...;)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 4, 2002, 10:26 AM

nah...totally different...

hmm, i'll have to look into it.

is it readily available?

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 10:33 AM

hmm, i'll have to look into it.

is it readily available?

In all your finer natural food stores and some regular markets that have sections for that. There are a few places up here that have it (even in my neck of the woods) like Bread and Circus... It might be more money then normal mass processed sugar, but it IS worth it..

As the eye pointed out, you will want to stir a little longer, and make sure it is fully disolved before you begin drinking. A little heat usually is all it takes to accelerate the disolving (like in hot tea or coffee). I usually make my ice tea hot, disolving the sugar in the hot water before letting the tea bags soak.

resm
Jun 4, 2002, 10:38 AM
I am extreeeemly upset !

here I'm trying to teach Eyelikeart the sweet suffering of fasting on another thread and what is this traitor doing ?????

He is indulging on this thread on whatever food he can think of ! :p

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 10:40 AM
is it readily available?

it's available in most grocery stores I've seen...

if u want to test it out first...go to Starbuck's (if near u)...they have it there in the single serving packets...grab a few... ;)

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 10:49 AM
is it readily available?

if u want to test it out first...go to Starbuck's (if near u)...they have it there in the single serving packets...grab a few... ;)

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by resm
I am extreeeemly upset !

here I'm trying to teach Eyelikeart the sweet suffering of fasting on another thread and what is this traitor doing ?????

hey!!! I just started another thread for the sake of doing it...I thought it was obscure enough to do...he he he... :eek: :D

jelloshotsrule
Jun 4, 2002, 11:05 AM

nice double post.

alpha and eye: thanks for the info. will check it out. not any local health food stores here in confederate flag land... but i'm guessing some of the bigger supermarkets that have lots of veggie foods might also have it...

word.

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by resm
I am extreeeemly upset !

Why so surprised??? He IS human after all, and semi/demi-mortal :D

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 11:33 AM

nice double post.

actually...it was triple posted...I tried to get rid of it...then the site started freaking out on me bigtime :confused:

still...I don't know how the hell it got like that...

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 12:02 PM
you could, as a moderator, go up and delete it, you know....

but I agree with you both on the 'turbo' sugar, it definitely is much better. And I use sea salt, which is much healthier as well as better tasting.

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 12:07 PM
you could, as a moderator, go up and delete it, you know....

but I agree with you both on the 'turbo' sugar, it definitely is much better. And I use sea salt, which is much healthier as well as better tasting.

this true...I was having major problems doing anything on the site right after I got the first deleted...and when I finally got back...I said the hell with it... :rolleyes:

sea salt is good...I try not to use too much salt...fresh ground black pepper is always nice...:D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 12:12 PM
If you want, I could always go delete if for you;)

I don't use too much salt either, and prefer pepper or other spices. But you have to have some. That's the nice thing about seasalt, you don't need as much and its got less sodium than regular salt.

But back to breakfast food. When I was growing up, my mom used to make pancakes every Saturday morning, I love pancakes. I think the most I ever ate at one sitting was 12 (and were not talking small one either, more like 8-10 inches across)

I had a very high metabolism, ya know?

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 12:22 PM

he he he...we all did as children...

when I was about 11-12 I could put down an entire large pizza...ugh...:(

now I can't do much more than 4 slices at the most...my metabolism is still up there these days...I just take in smaller amounts more often...

I do love pancakes...my mom used to make us silver dollar pancakes...he he he...the simple things that seemed to great :D

my favorite now is blueberry....I've found love for buckwheat pancakes...there's only one place I know of in this city that makes them...BlueBird Cafe...I'm sure B2TM knows of it quite well... ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 12:33 PM
Oh, I forgot, nothing touches the pancakes except pure mable syrup. I started using that stuff years ago and I just can't take the Log Cabin or generic no maple syrup brand. Yuck, tastes fake.....

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 12:37 PM
he he he....so u are really a traditional boy inside...;)

many people like pure maple...I admit it's tastey...how about the flavored syrups?

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 12:39 PM
Oh, I forgot, nothing touches the pancakes except pure mable syrup. I started using that stuff years ago and I just can't take the Log Cabin or generic no maple syrup brand. Yuck, tastes fake.....

Hell yeah... Good old grade A amber syrup, 100% pure, nothing added to it, and not processed to death. The stuff that you put in the fridge after opening :D... It's also good on carrots and yams, but that is for a different meal. :D

britboy
Jun 4, 2002, 12:44 PM

Luckily for me, i still do. I've tried not exercising for months at a time, and still didn't manage to put on weight. I don't eat in small amounts either. At times i put away enough for two! It's quite bad really, because food can be expensive, and what with being a student on a budget... you get the gist of it.... :(

Perhaps it's because i'm a terrible fidget, and find it impossible to keep still for more than 5 seconds? :D There goes my hyperactive nature again....

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 01:00 PM
Britboy, you're what, 20, 21? I didn't start slowing down till 29, 30. And then when I started play ultimate frisbee, that was ridiculous. I'd go to lunch at the chinese buffet, pay by the pound and come out with 2.5 pounds of food and still need a snack in the afternoon.

I'm finally getting use to not eating as much, but I could still put away a large pizza (thin or regular crust) if I had to.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech
. It's also good on carrots and yams, but that is for a different meal. :D

I use it all sorts of things. I'm not going to wait for the Macs and Dinner thread, so here goes.

Salmon cooked on the grill on a cedar plank. Make a marinade of olive oil, lime juice, maple syrup, cilantro and let it cook on the plank (pre soaked in water so it doesn't burn to a crisp). The maple syrup crystalizes and makes a nice glaze over the fish, mmmm, good.

britboy
Jun 4, 2002, 01:06 PM
Britboy, you're what, 20, 21? I didn't start slowing down till 29, 30. And then when I started play ultimate frisbee, that was ridiculous. I'd go to lunch at the chinese buffet, pay by the pound and come out with 2.5 pounds of food and still need a snack in the afternoon.

Yes, i'm 21. Still a young 'un... Still enjoying it whilst i've got it.

What's ultimate frisbee? I've heard of it before, but never known what it was, other than throwing a frisbee to one another in a more energetic way.

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 01:13 PM

Yes, i'm 21. Still a young 'un... Still enjoying it whilst i've got it.

yeah...it's still a bit young...I'm not much further ahead...I turn 25 in October...

it's funny for me though...my metabolism is faster right now than it's been probably since I was a little kid...;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 01:14 PM
What's ultimate frisbee? I've heard of it before, but never known what it was, other than throwing a frisbee to one another in a more energetic way.

Its a very fast and tiring sport, played with 7 men on each side on a field a little smaller than a soccer field. You score a point when you throw a disk and a teammate catches it in the endzone (sort of like a cross between soccer and American football)

Here are some video clips (semi finals and finals)

http://www.dukestreet.com/pages/blackhole/ultimate/pages1999/ultimate.html

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 01:17 PM
Not a big salmon fan... tonight is rib-eye (on the grille) and some kind of side dish... leaning towards some parsley potatoes (red spuds with parsley and butter after steaming them).

I need to get some smoaking chips and a tray/pan for using them on my grille... do a turkey that way, and it ROCKS!!! :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 01:22 PM
You're using a gas grill?? Sorry to here that.

Weber has a newer grill that is a charcoal grill but with gas ignition, absolutely the best damn grill ever. I've been using it almost a year now and I wouldn't ever think of using anything else. Its the best of both worlds. I use real mesquite charcoal, too, great flavor.

Its called the Performer, under charcoal grills

http://www.weber.com/Public_Weber/index.asp?section=grills

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 01:29 PM
I was given my gas grill (helped pick it out) last year (brand spankin new) with two burners, a rotisarie thingy as well as electronic ignition (for all burners).

I can use the real wood chips with it, which is a LOT better then the 'flavored' charcoal briquetts...

I actually don't like the taste that charcoal gives food, gas burns much cleaner, and gives you the flavor that you really want. Besides, can you cook on your grill all day long without putting more charcoal into it?? I can cook for hours and hours and hours on mine. IF I run out of gas, I have a spare tank, which means I can just keep on cooking no matter what. :D You can also control the cooking temp a lot better with gas then with charcoal, since you have control over the amount of gas burning (fast adjustments too).

I will NEVER use charcoal to grill.... I prefer to cook with gas (inside the house, on the grille and other places too :D).

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 01:33 PM
Well, nothing wrong with having a personal preference. In general, though, I much prefer grilling than cooking in the kitchen, especially if you have company over and the weather's nice. I cooked a couple chicken breasts last night, and I'll probably cook some steaks tomorrow. The nice thing about having the gas ignition or gas grill is that you can pretty much cook when ever you want, you don't have to worry about the weather turning bad.

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 01:37 PM
Especially if you have the grill on a covered porch, like I do... I can use it year round, even in the winter up here :D... My landlord moved it into a screened in porch when he had part of the house painted (inside hall between his section and mine) a few months back. Over last weekend, he pulled the screen part down, since I couldn't really use the grill as it was (not enough room). Now I can open it away from the house, grill away, and not worry about bumping into it and getting burned.

There is enough room, that I could move it closer to the front door for when it turns cold again and keep on grillin.

Either way you grill, one of the BEST parts is when you do a steak, and it flames up.... mmm mmm good :D You just can't get that from an oven.

I cook just as well inside as out, since I know what I am doing in both places. I've been cooking for over 20 years, so I know most of the tricks. :D

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 01:42 PM

Salmon cooked on the grill on a cedar plank. Make a marinade of olive oil, lime juice, maple syrup, cilantro and let it cook on the plank (pre soaked in water so it doesn't burn to a crisp). The maple syrup crystalizes and makes a nice glaze over the fish, mmmm, good.

I love a good salmon...I can imagine how good that one tastes! :D

how does it work out with the cilantro though? I'm not usually a fan of it...so I'm trying to imagine how it tastes with the sweetness?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 01:53 PM

Either way you grill, one of the BEST parts is when you do a steak, and it flames up.... mmm mmm good :D You just can't get that from an oven.

I cook just as well inside as out, since I know what I am doing in both places. I've been cooking for over 20 years, so I know most of the tricks. :D

Almost any meat is better grilled, but it always depends on what you're trying to do. Cook rack of lamb over the week end, oh, was that good. Olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper, mmmmm, glad I've arleady eaten.

I have no problem with the kitchen, ours is just a little too small (adding an edition in a year or so to fix that problem) and has electric burners. Went to Home Depot Expo a couple weeks ago and went crazy looking at all the great options for kitchens there. I've got my I on a six burner Vulcan range top.....

My brother went to the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) and my old housemate was a gourmet chef so between the two of them and my affection for cooking and food in general, I've picked up a few tricks too. The first time my brother took a Thanksgiving turkey out of the oven and deboned it, slicing the thing up like a steak for serving I was impressed, ever since then, I've been doing it my self. Saves a lot of wasted meat too.

You ever cook a turkey on your grill? Now that is truly the way to cook a bird....

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 01:55 PM

I love a good salmon...I can imagine how good that one tastes! :D

how does it work out with the cilantro though? I'm not usually a fan of it...so I'm trying to imagine how it tastes with the sweetness?

You don't need to put the cilantro on it, leave it out or use dill or some other of your favorite herb, nothing too over powering. And you have to soak the cedar plank in water for about an hour. Scallops are also tasty done that way (without the marinade, on the plank)

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 01:58 PM

You don't need to put the cilantro on it, leave it out or use dill or some other of your favorite herb, nothing too over powering.

dill I can handle...cilantro, to me, is always overpowering...I just don't like the taste very much...

it sucks whenever I go somewhere that's Mex of some nature...and u get the finely chopped up pieces of it...u can't get it out...:eek:

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 02:10 PM
You ever cook a turkey on your grill? Now that is truly the way to cook a bird....

Of course... my father prefected a method of slow cooking a turkey on the grill and using some smoking chips with it... comes out juicy as all hell, and tastes great too. It seems like no one else but me can cook like dad did... we can get the white meat on turkey's juicy, and the bird all the way done at the same time. Most of the other family members that cook, have birds that have dry white meat, which is why I always go dark (at least when they are cooking).

Smoke up a pork roast on the grill, or slow cook some ribs...

I think I am going to be doing a lot of grilling this summer :D

3rdpath
Jun 4, 2002, 02:13 PM
well i have the same thing for breakfast just about every day: organic oatmeal with a banana with multiple cups of coffee.

i've also found that if i drink a glass of water first thing in the morning i feel much better and wake up faster.

then 2 1/2 hours later its an arugala salad with balsamic vinegar.

every day.

with regards to grilling: i too am not real keen on the residual taste of briquets. doesn't mean i don't use them from time to time but i never use the self-starters....god knows what they must be coated with. napalm?

if you want to grill indoors, many old stoves have built-in grills. we have a 1940's Okeefe and Merrit that we picked up in a used appliance store. it has a " grillevator" which has downward projecting flames over a tray that is height adjustible( hence the"vator" reference...) i grill fish, veggies and chicken in it daily and i'm amazed that this feature isn't available in new stoves( that i've seen). gas is just the way to go(imho) and these stoves are cheap, beautiful and built to outlast their owners.

granted, indoor grilled food will never taste as good as outdoor grilled food.

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 02:19 PM
There are higher end stoves with grills on them, or places where you can place one. They do make cast iron ones that go over your burners so that you CAN grill inside (when the weather is just plain old nasty, like we do get up here). I might get one of those as the weather degrades, if we get enough snow that I don't want to deal with this coming winter. I have plenty of time to decide. I just hope we have a mild summer, since grilling when it is 90+ is just not nice. I will be getting a new AC for my apartment in the next month or so, which will be very helpful.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 02:32 PM
There's another way to do a turkey that seems to be a southern thing and I had never seen it done until a friend had a deep fry party. He got the 15 gallon frier, with the huge burner underneith, filled it up with peanut oil and when it got to around 300, dropped the marinated turkey in.

Woo, was that a site, wish I had my video camera, it was like the vat of oil exploded. And I didn't think much of it before cooking, not a real big fan of deep frying in general, but after one taste I was impressed. It was so damn juicy and it really tasted great.

Not something I'll ever do myself, but if he has more fry parties I'll go over again. One interesting thing to fry, batter up a mars bar, put it on a stick and let it cook up, very weird, but good.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 02:35 PM
There are higher end stoves with grills on them, or places where you can place one.

If you ever see a Home Depot Expo, go check it out, it will be worth it. Its not like a regular Home Depot, more upscale. Like I said, the kitchen section was amazing. Thermodor, SubZero, Viking, and tons others. I can't wait to redo the kitchen.....

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 02:42 PM
Not something I'll ever do myself, but if he has more fry parties I'll go over again. One interesting thing to fry, batter up a mars bar, put it on a stick and let it cook up, very weird, but good.

Some people will fry just about anything... :rolleyes: :D :eek:

Then again, for thanksgiving, we typically cook the turkey inside a brown paper bag. :D You put it in the pan (after your normal preparing), slide it into one of the large grocery bags, staple it mostly shut (make sure you don't have the bird touching the bag or it will stick). Put it into the oven (oven should be cold when you do) and cook away. You might be surprised at how good it comes out... and don't worry too much about the smell of the paper drying out, as long as you don't have any flames from the oven touching the paper, you should be ok. We have done many, many birds that way. It works well even for other birds, and makes for less mess inside the oven, since the bag catches most of the splatters.

I've been thinking about grilling a duck sometime soon, but I would have to watch it extra, since the fat from it will cause a lot of flamming. Unless I use indirect heat that is.... hmmmmmm there's a thought. :D Love duck...

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 02:56 PM
There's another way to do a turkey that seems to be a southern thing and I had never seen it done until a friend had a deep fry party.

hmm...I thought everyone did that...

u should see it around Thanksgiving time...everyone sells fried turkeys around here...even Popeye's Chicken sells them...he he he ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 02:59 PM
I'm in Virginia, and I hadn't heard about it till a couple of years ago, seemed like a totally silly thing till I tasted it.

I wonder if there are any other regional cooking methods?

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 03:14 PM
I wonder if there are any other regional cooking methods?

well u should know that here in New Orleans...they'll fry anything...

one of the "new" foods available at this past Jazz Fest was fried bread...I mean come on...that's considered a donut when it's round w/a hole & glazed...but people were eating it....there was an article in the paper about it as well...:rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 03:24 PM

one of the "new" foods available at this past Jazz Fest was fried bread...I mean come on...that's considered a donut when it's round w/a hole & glazed...but people were eating it....there was an article in the paper about it as well...:rolleyes:

There are a couple of restaurants up here that serve fried bread as an appetizer/finger food. Pretty good actually. But it is true that anything can pretty much be fried, but I was wondering if there were some more none tradional cooking methods out there. Anyone know of one?

When I was in Fiji, they'd dig a big pit, through wood in and burn it, then layer in some rocks and palm leaves (not sure what type) then the food and more leaves. Then bury the thing for a couple hours. Dig it up and serve....

beej will probably get a chance to see this, I'll have to ask him about it when he gets back from Fiji in a couple months.

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 03:39 PM

They even had donuts in Pilgrim days... No frosting, but it was still there.

Must have been a slow news day for that to make a newspaper... No drunk women flashing anyone there??? :D...

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 04:09 PM

They even had donuts in Pilgrim days... No frosting, but it was still there.

Must have been a slow news day for that to make a newspaper... No drunk women flashing anyone there??? :D...

well then there's also beignets...otherwise known as "French Donuts" in certain circles...from what I know they are still only a local New Orleans favorite...

as for the flashing women...that would be more Mardi Gras...he he he...;)

but I did get a few of those this year...some were very nice Alpha...he he he :D