PDA

View Full Version : Switched to PC - then back to Mac

wrldwzrd89
Feb 6, 2004, 08:55 AM
I was forced to switch to a PC when my PowerBook G4 (Julie) was "taken away" from me (I handed it down to my mother to free up a computer for my father, who is moving to England for his job and wants to take a Mac with him). I was a PC user for about a month until I got an iMac 17" to replace the PowerBook. This makes me a Mac user once again. By the way, see this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59039) if you want to know about the problems I had with the iMac shortly after I got it (they're fixed now).

jdessel
Feb 27, 2004, 06:05 AM
I've been a Mac user since college and recently my employer decided to switch to a PC platform from Quantel broadcast graphics systems.

We have Dell Precision 650 workstations with dual processors, a RAID, and 4 gigs RAM (reduced to 2 because Adobe said After Effects chokes if you use more than 2 gigs) and this machine, while very fast when running properly, has been a trip to hell and back.

I used to love my job. Now I hate coming in here to work with this nightmare of a "workstation".

I get every error message imaginable and hangups, freezes, crashes, quirks, glitches... you name it. This has been going on for over 8 months and the machine even took a trip to Adobe to be examined and returned under the guise of being "fixed". One week into an After Effects project and all hell broke loose all over again.

Of course, the two Mac users here have no problems with their workstations. I can't use many of the plugins that they can use because they simply choke this high-end PC. I've heard every excuse imaginable as to why I (and one other animator here who is also stuck with the same configuration of absurdly inferior "workstation") am still saddled with this mess after 8 months. Apparently some combination of budget and ego prevents me from having the proper tool to do my job which appears by all accounts to be a new Mac.

Anyway, I had purchased a PC laptop for my personal use and I'm happy with that but I would never, ever, under any circumstances, recommend a PC for an After Effects user. It is simply an inadequate platform.

Urdam
Apr 11, 2004, 03:01 PM
I agree