PDA

View Full Version : clamshell iBook running slow

Katilea
Nov 2, 2008, 01:12 PM
My old clamshell iBook seems to be running very slow suddenly, I have to wait for typing to catch up with me and in this chatroom I go in, the chat screen keeps filling in and changing to same colour as background so I cant read what people have sent into room or and all buttons disappear until I run cursor over where they were!

It doesnt do this when I go in same room on iMac. It didnt used to do it on the iBook either! is it just getting old and needs replacing? Think mine was made in 2000, so is about 8 years old.

How do I do things like disk defragment or see how much hard drive and memory is been used? I wondered if it was maybe full?

Any ideas?

840quadra
Nov 2, 2008, 01:17 PM
Are you running OS X or OS9 ? If you are running OS9, you may want to have a moderator move this thread to the "Apple Collectors" Forum. Most of those users have more experience with the older OS, and should be able to provide some assistance.

http://forums.macrumors.com/image.php?u=47064&dateline=1165206282&type=profile

Katilea
Nov 3, 2008, 04:46 AM
HI

No its got OS X 10.3.9 on, though it did also come with OS 9 I never used it and took it off to free up space. Its the 366Mhz, 192mb ram Indigo clamshell iBook. I got it off ebay 5 years ago for about 200 so its done well to last this long. I just use it for chatting in bed now in evenings, my iMac desktop has all the main software on (MS office, photo and video editing etc)

Someone told me my model was made in 2000 so I did wonder if it was just getting old and knackered! Eight years is a long time for something to still be working these days when consumer electrical's dont seem to be built to last past 2 years!

Anyone know where I could trade it in part exchange for a new macbook if it's something that cant be fixed?

Thanks