PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard and Windows 7 aim for a leaner, meaner OS

MacBytes
Nov 2, 2008, 06:18 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Mac OS X
Link: Snow Leopard and Windows 7 aim for a leaner, meaner OS (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20081102191821)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Alx9876
Nov 2, 2008, 06:47 PM
This is a good article. I am looking forward to the new Snow Leopard. Good to see competition heating up between Microsoft and Apple. That means us consumers win when companies do this.

SPUY767
Nov 2, 2008, 07:01 PM
Windows has no choice but to go leaner, they can't exactly make it any more bloated.

india349
Nov 2, 2008, 07:01 PM
In regards to competition, I'm really interested to see which company does it right. There are many ways a slimmer operating system could go wrong on Microsoft's part (released too early like Vista, third-party apps break, etc) Likewise, Apple might be losing out by not adapting multi-touch in Macs, etc.

I also see a problem with the online Office apps. It could be something like "Only works with Windows 7 and IE" or even worse, having to have a Windows Live ID or something.

Techguy172
Nov 2, 2008, 07:12 PM
I'm Looking forward to see what Microsoft comes out with. Snow Leopard hasn't really impressed me that much yet. The only thing that really comes to mind is the new finder, Although this is quite an upgrade. It seems microsoft is really working hard to correct vista's issues.

supmango
Nov 2, 2008, 07:36 PM
As a user of both Vista and Mac OS 10.5, I would say that microsoft is doing lots of marketing and very little improvements to Vista. The commercials hit the nail on the head. Windows 7 will have to be much more lean and much more stable for it to be accepted and implemented in any market. Regardless of what they do in marketing and repairs to Vista, they will see much slower adoption of any Windows version from Vista to the next. Especially for those who have elected to stick with XP.

zap2
Nov 2, 2008, 08:15 PM
good good

I'm in the market for a new netbook OS. Xandros was dull, Ubuntu isn't work well for me(although to be fair its not an official Ubuntu product, but the EEE Ubuntu distro)...I'm hoping for good things for Windows 7. Maybe worth a pick up along side a new netbook sometime next year.

Windows 7 along a dual core atom equiped netbook with a touch screen sounds quite nice! Unless Apple throws some Snow Leopard love towards a netbook!

sushi
Nov 2, 2008, 08:25 PM
The speed increase of Snow Leopard will be nice for existing Intel Mac users. :)

Without PPC code, some overhead can be eliminated as well.

Vista is a black eye for Microsoft. Windows 7 looks to be much better.

Competition is good! :D

m1stake
Nov 2, 2008, 10:55 PM
I intend to drop the Windows 7 beta on the Core i7 Mac Pro when they both become available instead of spending money on Vista just to spend money on Windows 7 a few months later.

Funny thing I thought of:

Snow Leopard will [hopefully] be good because of it's advancements.

Windows 7 will be good because it's not Vista.

Of course, Vista works fine with my old games, new games, and all of my software, on the build in my sig. While my 1.5Ghz P4 machine with a GeForce 4MX also runs it fine though it has a sluggish boot. I have printers hooked up to both of them and have had no problems, which leads me to believe that people who had trouble with Vista were the real problem. Been running fine since I set up this build in March 2007 and upgraded the P4 for fun.

chewietobbacca
Nov 2, 2008, 11:02 PM
Vista had legit driver problems early on, but with Windows 7 on the same infrastructure, companies will not have the same driver issues

And yeah, I tend to agree that most of Vista's issues came from the user - 64-bit with 4GB is blazing fast and stable as heck for me for a year now

nagromme
Nov 3, 2008, 12:48 AM
To correct the headline: Snow Leopard aims for a leaner, meaner OS. Windows 7 continues the long-time neglect of deep-rooted problems with Windows' internals, and plays around with surface features instead. (Which is also good--but Apple got farther with those visible benefits in Leopard or even Panther... and now has a few years lead over Windows, allowing Apple go back and tend to the hidden internals really well. Which they may in fact have completed before Windows 7--a.k.a. "Microsoft's Panther"*--even ships!)

* I call it Panther because it looks like it will approach Leopard in features in some areas, but suffer terribly in usability in others--so on average, will not beat Leopard even on the surface. And beneath the surface, certainly not! So if it's sub-Leopard... that makes it Panther in my book :) While Apple moves on to Snow Leopard.

Of course, Microsoft could surprise us, with a Windows 7 that's all new under the hood, and far better than this first preview on the surface. They could exceed Panther and Leopard, and even ship on time! Maybe...

(But either way, it does look like it will be somewhat tempting to XP users, in ways that Vista isn't... except their XP machines won't run it well.)

winmacguy
Nov 3, 2008, 01:26 AM
To correct the headline: Snow Leopard aims for a leaner, meaner OS.
Blame the NZ Herald for the choice of headline - they didn't write the actual article.

SnowLeopard2008
Nov 3, 2008, 02:23 AM
I still hanging on a constantly fraying thread name XP. Give me W7 (Windows 7)! Vista is too slowbuggybloatedlaggystupidretarded!

deadkenny
Nov 3, 2008, 05:17 AM
* I call it Panther because it looks like it will approach Leopard in features in some areas, but suffer terribly in usability in others--so on average, will not beat Leopard even on the surface. And beneath the surface, certainly not! So if it's sub-Leopard... that makes it Panther in my book :) While Apple moves on to Snow Leopard.

If you can make billions and billions with your panther, who cares that others have a snow leopard in their zoo?

yoppie
Nov 3, 2008, 05:29 AM
Good article. Can't wait to try Snow Leopard on my MacBook.

Shasterball
Nov 3, 2008, 07:37 AM
I am looking forward to the new Snow Leopard.

Ya, it will be a lot better than the old Snow Leopard. :)