Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
3 parts:
Apple TV
DVD/Surroud Sound system
TV

Connect the Apple TV straight to TV with video component cables (the ones with 3 different colors)

Audio wire (two different colors) from Apple TV to DVD/surround sound.

So when I go to play something from apple tv...i go to the same path i would normally go for my dvd player..but i turn on both the apple tv and dvd player..and apple tv video will show and surround sound will come from the dvd/surround sound speakers?

does this make sense...will it work? (want to avoid buying new sound system)

Macmanu1973

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2008
Rome, Italy
the video part will be OK.

For the audio... what do you mean by a DVD/surround system? A DVD player AND a receiver? or just a DVD with discrete outputs?

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
i have a dvd player that has the 6 speakers connect right to it in the back...so i had to splice each wire...etc..and stick each wire in its colored slot in the back of the dvd player.

Im not sure where else i would connect the speakes..since they only have wires...no uniform plugs or anything.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
i have a dvd player that has the 6 speakers connect right to it in the back...so i had to splice each wire...etc..and stick each wire in its colored slot in the back of the dvd player.

Im not sure where else i would connect the speakes..since they only have wires...no uniform plugs or anything.

Wait... you plugged your speakers into your DVD player? You should have them plugged into some kind of receiver/amp. I don't know of any DVD players that have 6! speaker inputs (usually only have regular RCA red/white if any at all). And why 6 speakers? Thats an odd number to have... or do you have a center speaker too? Usually large speaker setups are 5.1 or 7.1 (the .1 is a subwoofer).

For you to properly use 5+ speakers you have to have an optical sound output from your source (i.e. DVD player) and then input this sound into the receiver that decodes the audio and sends to each speaker. You're going to have to tell us exactly what DVD player you have cause at the moment you're jerry-rigging this setup. Sure it can work, but it isn't the optimal setup. What exactly do you have?

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
ok..so techincally speaking...no audio cable will be going to the actual tv right? that toslink cable will go from apple tv to dvd/stereo.

just the video cable from the apple tv will go to the main tv.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
ok..so techincally speaking...no audio cable will be going to the actual tv right? that toslink cable will go from apple tv to dvd/stereo.

You can connect a left and right RCA audio cable (the red and white cable) from the ATV to your television. This will give you stereo sound through your TV speakers. Then connect a Toslink/optical audio cable from the ATV to your DVD player. That will give you 5.1 surround through your speakers.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco

Correct. No audio cables to the TV. Cause you are using external speakers for the audio portion, not the TV's speakers.

The video will go from ATV to TV.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
with that set-up, don't waste your money on a toslink cable - my $.02.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
then how do i get the dvd speakers to work mr. kram, without that cable?

Bfat567

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2008
NewYork
His point is with a low end sound system like that digital audio might not be worth it, but you can do what ever you want. If you choose no toslink you could do the same thing (atv to dvd/receiver) with rca cables (red and white).

Bill

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
His point is with a low end sound system like that digital audio might not be worth it, but you can do what ever you want. If you choose no toslink you could do the same thing (atv to dvd/receiver) with rca cables (red and white).

Bill

correct, i would just use the rca. the difference it will make will be inaudible in my opinion.

gadabout

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
get the toslink cable. if you only use rca, your surround speakers will only double the stereo, but with toslink, assuming the files on the appletv have 5.1, you will get the right sounds from the right speakers.

these cables can be had for cheap, and will make your set up sound more "correct," so i'm not sure why anyone said it wouldn't be worth the money...

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
get the toslink cable. if you only use rca, your surround speakers will only double the stereo, but with toslink, assuming the files on the appletv have 5.1, you will get the right sounds from the right speakers.

these cables can be had for cheap, and will make your set up sound more "correct," so i'm not sure why anyone said it wouldn't be worth the money...

My thoughts exactly. It's not like it's wasted money. If you ever upgrade your system, you'll still need the Toslink cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.