Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marold280

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
right. i might be the only one here. but after having to listen to the bloody "im a pc" over and over again, im actually sick of them! i cant stand listening to them ALL say "im a pc" ! anyone else see this? im anti-microsoft anyway, but those adverts are REALLY annoying!

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I have to agree.
It's not very fun hearing "Im a PC" five thousand times.
We get the point! Lol

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I always expect this guy to pop up:
ishejewi.jpg

"I'm a PC and so's my wife"

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
Hi, I'm a mac. I can't stand on my own merits, so I lie, and exgagerate things about PC to make me feel good. I just look cool but I don't really have any use for me in the real world.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
right. i might be the only one here. but after having to listen to the bloody "im a pc" over and over again, im actually sick of them! ...
Boo-hoo! This campaign sells a lot of Macs. It has so successful that Microsoft has seen fit to try to respond with its own rip-off campaign.

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
Not as annoying as, and frankly, more entertaining than the Mac adverts.

Doug

Are you serious? I can't freaking stand the new pc ads. I haven't seen a single "I'm a Mac" ad that hasn't at least made me smile. (although I can't stand the iPhone ads that get played every 20 minutes).

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
like the "im a mac" ads are loads better:rolleyes:

At least they're quick, to the point, and humorous.

Hi, I'm a mac. I can't stand on my own merits, so I lie, and exgagerate things about PC to make me feel good. I just look cool but I don't really have any use for me in the real world.

Oh we wont even get into this.

Boo-hoo! This campaign sells a lot of Macs. It has so successful that Microsoft has seen fit to try to respond with its own rip-off campaign.

Pretty sure (I could be wrong) the OP is talking about the MS ones not the Apple ones.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
I think it's annoying because it seems pointless for MS to defend themselves. You control 95% of the market, yet you need to defend yourselves? It's like a "we must get the last laugh" kind of thing. Apple's ads must be working?

I don't care for either, neither make me want to buy a Mac or a PC, it's just them throwing jabs at each other, funny for a second, then I just don't care...kinda like every commercial I see.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland

The saddest thing about the "I'm a PC" ads is that they follow oh-so-closely to this "I'm a Mac" ad from two years ago. So sad, so very sad.

mt

-::ubermann::-

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
I can't stand the apple's ads, based on stereotypes and ignorance
when I see them I'm kinda ashamed to be a mac user

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I only see the Microsoft ads when Macrumors posts them. Sooo... they really haven't had much of a chance to get under my skin. :)

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
he thing that cracks me up about the "I'm a PC" adverts, is right at the end, when the slogan comes up, "Microsoft windows, A Life Without Walls" if we don't have Walls we don't need windows. Another case of not thinking things through properly, by the M$ marketing team. Just like "see how windows vista makes it easier and more entertaining to use your PC" I've never laughed so hard as after I installed vista and as for ease of use, I just turn it off.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
right. i might be the only one here. but after having to listen to the bloody "im a pc" over and over again, im actually sick of them! i cant stand listening to them ALL say "im a pc" ! anyone else see this? im anti-microsoft anyway, but those adverts are REALLY annoying!

I've never seen one of these adds, except now and then when someone links to one of the ads from this site. If you are seeing TV commercials over and over maybe it's time to turn off the TV.

What I find more offensive than annoying are the "Mojave Project" ads, where they allegedly demo a "new" operating system called Mojave to a bunch of unsuspecting people, who then rave about how wonderful and fast and fun it was. They then reveal Mojave is really Vista. "Ha ha, we tricked you, you like Vista, you like Vista, nyaa nyaa nyaa."

Dear lord. Microsoft, has it become so bad you are reduced to lying to the world to hawk your wares?

Microsoft's new slogan should be, "Come, let us fool you too". Jeez.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
^ Yup. I personally love to see the "new" "innovations" that Windows 7 has. Not to mention the tacky Aero interface. Microsoft has to trick every customer to buying it. In the Mojave project, they probably bought really expensive computers with cutting edge technology in order to make Vista seem useable. If I took a 1K computer, it still would have trouble loading Vista. Not to mention they probably used the best computer hardware out there + the Ultimate version of Vista. This is reminiscent of the days when PC was cheaper and Mac was more expensive. Today is quite the opposite.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I thought they were somewhat clever. Not very innovative, given that they are merely a response to the Get a Mac ads.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
^ Yup. I personally love to see the "new" "innovations" that Windows 7 has. Not to mention the tacky Aero interface. Microsoft has to trick every customer to buying it. In the Mojave project, they probably bought really expensive computers with cutting edge technology in order to make Vista seem useable. If I took a 1K computer, it still would have trouble loading Vista. Not to mention they probably used the best computer hardware out there + the Ultimate version of Vista. This is reminiscent of the days when PC was cheaper and Mac was more expensive. Today is quite the opposite.

They actually used a normal HP laptop with 2 gigs of RAM, I think a 2.0 or 2.2 Ghz Core 2 Duo processor, and I don't know the screen size. I think the specifications were kinda similar to the Macbook Pro (not the new ones). A mid-range video card, a decent CPU, and 2 gigs of RAM. It's really nothing special.

The laptop at the time might have retailed for about 1000-1200 USD, which is pretty reasonable for a laptop and falls into the range of what most people are willing to spend on laptops. But I'm taking a stab in the dark at the GPU of the laptop. I know it had a dedicated one and that it wasn't anything more powerful than a mid range GPU. They didn't use the laptop for gaming, so even something like a 8400M GS would handle Aero with the same performance.

But you are right about the version of Vista being used, it was Ultimate. For the average user, there's no difference between Ultimate and Premium, asides dreamscene and 2 new games (at the time, just one, which was Texas Hold'em).

And I found the laptop used. It was a 1 year old HP dv2000.

Here's about it:
http://redmondmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=10161

And another article in non-English said the specs of the HP was a Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz CPU, and 2 gigs of RAM (as I previously said) running 32-bit Vista Ultimate.

I looked up the specs for the HP dv2000, and it said the screen size was 14.1" and that for the model with Intel CPUs, it used a Nvidia 7200 (a discrete GPU, but very low end), although the model they used was probably updated and used a low end 8 series GPU (like a 8400M GS).
What I find more offensive than annoying are the "Mojave Project" ads, where they allegedly demo a "new" operating system called Mojave to a bunch of unsuspecting people, who then rave about how wonderful and fast and fun it was. They then reveal Mojave is really Vista. "Ha ha, we tricked you, you like Vista, you like Vista, nyaa nyaa nyaa."

Dear lord. Microsoft, has it become so bad you are reduced to lying to the world to hawk your wares?

I guess you completely missed the point. Many people had very bad first impressions of Windows Vista when it was first released, due to some program compatibility issues, UAC, and the biggest issue, driver problems. People who tried Vista then started to tell all their friends and people on blogs that Vista was horrible. There was a lot of bad press about Vista due to its initial problems.

So MS grabbed some people who had a bad impression of Vista and gave them a demo of it, and the didn't know it was Vista. There's nothing unethical about it. They're not lying in their commercial. They were just trying to make a point that Vista isn't as bad as you've heard, and that you should at least try it before passing judgment.

And the whole reason they misled the people was to get a true opinion of Vista. It's like this. If you go into something thinking it's going to be bad, then that biased opinion is going to impact your opinion. So, the people went into the experiment not knowing what to expect, instead of having a bias into what to expect.

And if you have a huge ethical dilemma over MS's "practice" in executing the "trickery," then I hope you hate Apple over them blatantly misleading the viewers of the commercial. It seems to me that you're trying to find any reason to bash MS, even if it requires some messed up logic.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008

Give me a break. My father's $700 Toshiba laptop runs Vista without a hiccup. It's not a speed-demon by any stretch, but it is certainly not "unusable".

:confused: How in the world is that offensive? That test demonstrated that lots of the bad public perception about Vista - much of it generated by Apple's stupid "I'm a Mac" ads - is simply wrong.

I've used Vista, and while I prefer OSX for security and stability reasons, there's nothing at all wrong with Vista from a user-interface perspective. In fact, it's quite a pleasant operating system to use.

Microsoft is not "lying" to the world when they conduct a blind test. If anything, you should be "offended" by Apple for perpetuating the myth that Vista is a pile of crap, because it simply isn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.