PDA

View Full Version : What speed connection do you have to the web?

edesignuk
Jun 4, 2002, 11:49 AM
Hey all,

I was just wondering what kind of speeds we all connect to the web at, has everyone gone broadband yet or do we still have some poor people struggling on a 56k dial-up?

And maybe whilst we're on the subject someone might be able to clarify for me what speed a T1 and a T3 really is?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 4, 2002, 11:52 AM
while they're clearing that up..... what's a cable modem's speed usually? cause i can't fill out the poll til i know... ha

edesignuk
Jun 4, 2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
while they're clearing that up..... what's a cable modem's speed usually? cause i can't fill out the poll til i know... ha
As far as I know there is no 'standard speed', it just depends on your modem and ISP, mines 512k, but some are only 256k, where others can be 1000k!

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 11:55 AM
T1= ~1.5Mbps up and downstream.

I have a 2Mbps downstream and 384Kbps upstream connection. Earthlink DSL service, and I am damned close to the central station for my town (hence the speeds). :D

I was having speed issues a few months back, but that got cleared up, and I also got a speed bump (was at 1.5Mbps down and 128Kbps up). Squeeky wheels get the good lube jobs... :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 11:57 AM
I have a cable modem and it runs around 950Kpbs, I'm very happy with that. There are a couple places online that you can connect to for seeing what your actual data rate is, but I don't know what they are. They were posted in another thread, so you might be able to search the posts....

Durandal7
Jun 4, 2002, 11:58 AM
Depends on where I am. At home I have a 56k but at work I have a 512k. As a result I do a lot of downloads and CD burning at work.
The reason I don't have broadband at home is that the cable company will stick you with MSN and charge you insane rates (150$ a month).

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 11:58 AM
it all depends on where I am...

at work it's definitely slower dsl speeds...

at home...much faster and more consistent... ;)

edesignuk
Jun 4, 2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by AlphaTech

I have a 2Mbps downstream and 384Kbps upstream connection. Earthlink DSL service, and I am damned close to the central station for my town (hence the speeds).
You lucky $%@?! I would kill for a 2Mb downstream connection! As far as I know a 2Mb is not even available to the consumer here in the UK. :mad:

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 12:00 PM
We have three T1 lines here at work, and two of them are for internet access... Unfortunately, with about 300 systems on the network, it can bog down a lot...

One of the speed test sites is www.speed411.com... usually pretty accurate, unless the site is getting a ton of traffic when you go to test. I have seen 1999kbps there :D (from home).

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by verbose101

You lucky $%@?! I would kill for a 2Mb downstream connection! As far as I know a 2Mb is not even available to the consumer here in the UK. :mad:

LMFAO!!!!!

I get better speeds they eyelikeart does at home... occasionally we check to see what we are both getting, and most of the time, I get the higher speeds. Gotta love DSL for dedicated bandwidth. Doesn't matter how many people in my neck of the woods are online with high speed, I get my speed. Unlike cable modems, which uses shared bandwidth (more people on that segment, the slower you will become).

FYI, I pay $49.95 a month, no charge for the DSL modem or anything like that... Earthlink provided me with the modem and phone line filters (needed for DSL connection since it uses your existing phone wires).

edesignuk
Jun 4, 2002, 12:03 PM
I have seen 1999kbps there :D (from home).
Please stop! You make me want to cry with my (what now seems) pathetic, 512k downstream, 128k upstream.

edesignuk
Jun 4, 2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by asurace
...insane rates (150$ a month).
That's an outrage!!! How can they possibly charge $150!?! I only pay 25 per month here in the UK, and normally internet access is much more expensive here.

Durandal7
Jun 4, 2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by verbose101

That's an outrage!!! How can they possibly charge $150!?! I only pay 25 per month here in the UK, and normally internet access is much more expensive here.

If you think that is bad: They charge 60$ for basic cable AND I can't DSL where I live AND they are the only service provider. The only upside is that they are going bankrupt and will probably be gone in a couple of months. You see they have this silly policy that if you don't get cable TV then you get charged for both and don't get cable TV. It's confusing, I know.

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by asurace
If you think that is bad: They charge 60$ for basic cable AND I can't DSL where I live AND they are the only service provider. The only upside is that they are going bankrupt and will probably be gone in a couple of months. You see they have this silly policy that if you don't get cable TV then you get charged for both and don't get cable TV. It's confusing, I know.

Are you anywhere near South Park??? :D I had to ask.

Do they at least use some lube before shafting you???

britboy
Jun 4, 2002, 12:39 PM
T3 Baby!!! Yeah!!! That's the best part of being at universtity... :D

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by britboy
T3 Baby!!! Yeah!!! That's the best part of being at universtity... :D

How many people do you share that T3 with??? :D

britboy
Jun 4, 2002, 12:48 PM

How many people do you share that T3 with??? :D

Ah. That's the downside :p There's about 200 people on this T3 line (although not all of them have computers, or are connected at the same time). All the same though, i get some pretty nice up/down speeds :)

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 01:20 PM
I just did a speed check here at work and came up with 3554kbps from speed411's web site. That would be the multiple T1 lines at work... :D

Durandal7
Jun 4, 2002, 02:30 PM

Are you anywhere near South Park??? :D I had to ask.

Do they at least use some lube before shafting you???

Nowhere near South Park. South Park actually consists of several mobile homes in a field and a jerky store. No lube either ;) .

Backtothemac
Jun 4, 2002, 02:31 PM
I have a 1.5MB cable connection at home, and a DSL here in the office. Out at the corporate office they have 3 T3 lines. Yea, it is fun to surf the web through Citrix on those puppies, let me tell you. :D :cool: :p :eek:

whawho
Jun 4, 2002, 02:40 PM
I have cable at home 1.5 (road runner) and a T3 at work...

Don't remember the last time I used a modem,....thank god;)

I would hate to see how long it would take uploading websites on a 56k connection...

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by whawho
I would hate to see how long it would take uploading websites on a 56k connection...

Modems are a dead technology to me... I rather enjoy my DSL connection, since I don't have to share bandwidth with anyone else but my own computers... I don't like the idea that the cable company puts my computer onto a large network (even if it is 'secure') where I am sharing bandwidth, and more vulnerable to hacking (unless I go out and get a firewall).

Besides, with my DSL service, I also have six email addresses, and I actually use all of them.

Yes, I am a geek, and proud of it damnit. :D

whawho
Jun 4, 2002, 03:47 PM

Modems are a dead technology to me... I rather enjoy my DSL connection, since I don't have to share bandwidth with anyone else but my own computers... I don't like the idea that the cable company puts my computer onto a large network (even if it is 'secure') where I am sharing bandwidth, and more vulnerable to hacking (unless I go out and get a firewall).

Besides, with my DSL service, I also have six email addresses, and I actually use all of them.

Yes, I am a geek, and proud of it damnit. :D

True....I do notice slow downs at peak times..it's lame, but still faster than any 56k modem..

<denial>and as far as security goes most people that hack on a PC could care less about me on my mac</denial> ... I hope...

I have everything backed up so if anything ever happened I would be cool. Still lookin for a good free personal firewall for mac...

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by whawho
True....I do notice slow downs at peak times..it's lame, but still faster than any 56k modem..

<denial>and as far as security goes most people that hack on a PC could care less about me on my mac</denial> ... I hope...

I have everything backed up so if anything ever happened I would be cool. Still lookin for a good free personal firewall for mac...

For a good 'free' firewall... there is one built into the new Airport base stations... :D...

whawho
Jun 4, 2002, 03:59 PM

For a good 'free' firewall... there is one built into the new Airport base stations... :D...

heh...:D

britboy
Jun 4, 2002, 04:06 PM

Modems are a dead technology to me...

I wonder how long it will be before apple start releasing computers without modems? They rid themselves of floppy disks at a time when many thought was premature, and it seems as though modems are going the same way. It would be anothe bold move from apple, and not neccessarily a bad one; give the industry a kick up the backside to get their act together.

yes, i know the eMac is offered without a modem for education purposes, but i'm talking about macs released to the public at large.

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 04:08 PM
At least they allow us to remove the modems on BTO systems, for those of us that don't need them. With the base station, I will never need a modem inside a tower again (still nice for laptops so that I can go online anywhere if there is no high speed connection for me). MOST good hotels offer both modem and high speed internet connections for people staying there. They charge a pretty penny, but it's nice to have the option.

Macmaniac
Jun 4, 2002, 05:22 PM
I have 56k with AOL so it makes things slower. I have gotten on occasion 7kb!!!

Durandal7
Jun 4, 2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac

You're going to have fun if you ever decide to uninstall AOL.... On my computer I had to reinstall all networking software to get rid of AOL.

King Cobra
Jun 4, 2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac

On avg. I only get 2 or 3KB with something even more dreadful than 56k. Because of traffic buildup (I think) with the 56k I use I can only use V.34. The final product:

spuncan
Jun 4, 2002, 06:09 PM
I have earthlink DSL (that was a mistake) I get around 200k average down and 115k up generally. Yet SBC (heartless Monopoly) promises 356k minimum and 128-256k up. Even worse that atually happens. Even on the slowest servers I got 128 down. Ouch compared to mine.

Durandal7
Jun 4, 2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
Because of traffic buildup (I think) with the 56k I use I can only use V.34.
I have the exact same problem on one of my computers. It seemed to start after a modem firmware update for some reason.

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by spuncan
I have earthlink DSL (that was a mistake) I get around 200k average down and 115k up generally. Yet SBC (heartless Monopoly) promises 356k minimum and 128-256k up. Even worse that atually happens. Even on the slowest servers I got 128 down. Ouch compared to mine.

Dude, call Earthlink support and have them check the connection... I had similar issues several months back and was able to get it resolved, as well as a healthy speed boost. What kind of speeds did they tell you that you would get when you signed up??? How far from your local telephone station are you?? If you are close (like a few hundred yards) you should see blazing speeds (I am, and do).

If you run OS X, they can have you run a few tests, and determine what is going on. What do you have to loose???

mac15
Jun 5, 2002, 12:51 AM
I love it
I was getting 938k of that 411speeds, I'm on telstra bigpond in australia
usually its slower, my ISP say its max down (on what time your on) and 128k up but I never get more thatn 30k up

bandwidthplace (http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest) has some good speed tests

AlphaTech
Jun 5, 2002, 01:11 AM
I just ran some speed tests from speed411. The lowest I got was 1948Kbps, and of the few I ran, 1981Kbps being the top speed for that set.

For me, bandwidthplace always comes out low. It could have something to do with either the amount of traffic that site has, or the fact that the test file is pretty small. I mean a 604KB file??? come on, it goes in all of a couple of seconds. By the time the browser registers the speed, it's done. It still says my connection speed is 'fantastic' which I already knew. :D

Either way, not too shabby for $49.95 a month. My bro-in-law has DSL as well, he is paying $10 less then I am, but he only sees speeds of up to the low 500s... I typically get 3x to almost 4x what he gets, for a paltry $10 more a month... :D

irmongoose
Jun 5, 2002, 02:27 AM
Wow. I'm surprised at how slow America seems to be with Internet speeds... I thought you guys would have really fast speeds, as it is where the Internet practically was made...

Here in Japan, you can get 8Mbps (actual speeds are actually that fast) for less than $30 per month. 10Mbps plans cost just $10 more, at $40 per month.

The optical fiber plans are becoming pretty cheap nowadays too... 400Mbps at only $120 per month.. prices are expected to drop by the end of summer.

I'm running at 1Mbps DSL... and as soon as my provider upgrades to 10Mbps (by the end of July they say...) I'm getting that.

irmongoose

edesignuk
Jun 5, 2002, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by mac15

bandwidthplace (http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest) has some good speed tests
I've just run the speed test on my 512k cable modem connection, as expected it's 521.3kbits downstream....not to bad...but I'd still kill for one of the killer dsl links some of you guys in the states seem to have.

britboy
Jun 5, 2002, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose
Wow. I'm surprised at how slow America seems to be with Internet speeds... I thought you guys would have really fast speeds, as it is where the Internet practically was made...

Here in Japan, you can get 8Mbps (actual speeds are actually that fast) for less than $30 per month. 10Mbps plans cost just $10 more, at $40 per month.

The optical fiber plans are becoming pretty cheap nowadays too... 400Mbps at only $120 per month.. prices are expected to drop by the end of summer.

You think america's bad? You should look at the state of affairs in the UK! I'm looking to get broadband installed when i move back to england in a few weeks, and the prices are terrible. ADSL for the equivalent of around $35 a month! As the BBC recently reported (http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_2014000/2014706.stm), the UK is ranked 22nd out of the top 30 richest nations for broadband take-up :(

mmmdreg
Jun 5, 2002, 07:19 AM
I used to have Telstra ADSL (1.5MBPS) but the whole ADSL networks pretty much stuffed so I changed to cable where it's uncapped down and not too slow up...

sturm375
Jun 5, 2002, 02:43 PM
I live on the outer edge of civilization, or so you'd think looking at my broadband options: NONE.

I live in Batavia, IL. Look it up on a map, very populous, and just to the north of us, is St. Charles, many, many $500,000.00 homes, NO BROADBAND!. Only a select few in Geneva, IL get DSL, as that is where one of the 2 wired COs are located in our County.

AT&T has promised Cable internet for the last 3 1/2 years, no go:mad:

Meanwhile in Chicago, Sprint put up a Wireless antenna on the Sears Tower. 35mi Radius coverage. I was just out of range. However it sure covered a lot of Lake Michigan:mad: .

I can't even go to my local StarBucks to get Broadband, as the don't do it in this part of the world.

I would gladly give my right mouse button for Broadband:)

AlphaTech
Jun 5, 2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by sturm375
I would gladly give my right mouse button for Broadband:)

Ouch, THAT would be a bit extreme, don't you think?? :D

I think one of the reasons why Japan is going great guns for speed, is because of all the tech that is piled into such a small space (they don't have as much land as we do here in the US). Considering how I have heard how expensive it is to live there, I would hope that you get a break someplace. I would wager that I could get a killer house in the area I live for what you pay for rent over there. Considering how much houses have gone up in this area, we are not talking small change (places start at about 250K for a dump, and about 350K for a nice place, 500K is not uncommon).

I look forward to the day when we can see even better speeds here but still, having the download speed of a T1 at home is nothing to scoff at.

DavPeanut
Jun 5, 2002, 03:39 PM
They say I can get 1.5 mbs up, but there's no way on earth (not literally) that I can get that fast. I can get 200 kbs, but that's it. A friend near my house got 750 kbs, but at 2 am

AlphaTech
Jun 5, 2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by DavPeanut
They say I can get 1.5 mbs up, but there's no way on earth (not literally) that I can get that fast. I can get 200 kbs, but that's it. A friend near my house got 750 kbs, but at 2 am

What you are experiencing is the MAIN downfall of cable modem connections. IF there you have people going online at the same time as you, on that segment of the network, your speed suffers. With DSL, you don't get that, since you are not on a network, but have a dedicated bandwidth to you alone. I did a ton of research before going with DSL, and found that to be the main issue with cable... If you are the only person online at that time (on that segment) you will get blazing speeds. BUT, if you have people come online either before or after you, then the speeds drop. It can get down to dial-up speeds, depending on the ISP and how many people are grabbing a connection.

One of the issues with DSL is that you need to be close enough to the telephone switching station (which I am lucky to be very close to). After a certain distance, you cannot get DSL speeds (a few miles I believe). A small price to pay for my 2Mbps DSL connection (downstream). :D

PyroTurtle
Jun 5, 2002, 05:06 PM
i went to speed411.com and it said 2400kbps,
all i know is that when i add up all my connection and their speeds, it at times will max out around 3 meg's/sec, and others only about 1.9 MB or
2MB/s....much better than my old 56K on my 233 iMac ;) i won't rant or rave on my old iMac cause it still kicks some serious but# at times, but ya, 2400kbps on cable, he he

and my entire neighborhood basically uses the cable service all the time, so i donp't understand these "slower" speeds at "peak" times....the slowest i've ever seen it is still around 2MB/s so ya...

mmmdreg
Jun 6, 2002, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by DavPeanut

1.5MBps is referring (or should be) to mega BITS which is 1500kilobits (as mega is a thousand kilo in data transfer terms) which is 187.5kbps or kiloBYTES per second...therefore, you shouldn't be going to high up...

The Bender
Jun 6, 2002, 09:03 AM
It's all rubbish here. Here at the university I have seen 600 k/s (that k as in kilobytes), but very rarely, and usually within Israel. If I want to get to the US pleb sites, I'm crippled by the huge Israeli traffic trying to squeeze through the crappy connection we have to the outside world. The test sites rate me at a pitiful 500-ish kbps. I noted as low as 100 on one test!

topicolo
Jun 7, 2002, 01:51 PM
Wow, I didn't realize that broadband in the states is in such a bad state! Here in Canada, depending on the province, we have cable modem connections going at up to 5Mbit/s for about $50CAN, which is around $32US. Where I live, I have the choice of either going with cable at 3Mbit/s downstream, 512Kbit/s upstream for $45CAN, which is about $29US, or going with ADSL, which is $30CAN or about $20US for 1.2Mbit/s down, 160kbit up.

I'm currently using ADSL:)