PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 Help

board627
Nov 3, 2008, 05:02 PM
Hello,
I have an ibook g4 mid 2005 Mac OS 9. During start up it will not go past the blue screen. I tried the fsck -fy and it comes back saying The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK. When i type exit it keeps responding saying

Localhost memberd[46] : Couldn't find root user. Sleeping and trying again.
I also tried typing reboot [return] and it also just leads me back to the blue screen with the cursor.
I have also tried starting it in safe mode via holding the shift key and it will not go past the blue screen.

I also have a MacBook Pro running Mac OS 10.4.11 if there is anything that I could check with that.
Any help or advice is appreciated

840quadra
Nov 3, 2008, 11:00 PM
If you have a Firewire cable, perhaps you can try booting the iBook in Target Disk mode, and browse the system from you MacBook. If it is OS9 you need to have a blessed system folder but that may be hard to tell with the intel MacBook. You said you were able to get into fsck, does this system also have a copy of OS X installed ?

Otherwise it will make sense to boot from CD and possibly re-install your OS. IT sounds like there is something wrong with your filesystem.

http://forums.macrumors.com/image.php?u=47064&dateline=1165206282&type=profile