Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kubrickian2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
I have a 8 gig mkv file i need to burn to play on a dvd player. I can use Visual Hub and Toast to convert and burn it, but how can i retain the 5.1 ac3?

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Advanced Settings

Try this:

Visualhub>Advanced Settings then in the audio section, Extra FFmpeg Flags, there is a drop down menu with the option "Copy original audio track (passthru)"

Good luck and post back here to let me know if it works.

kubrickian2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
It worked... now onto problem number 2. Another mkv file, but has 5.1 dts sound. I did the same method, pass through audio. When i burned it in toast and played it, there was no audio. I guess i need to convert the audio to ac3? but that will reeeeally take forever, since i can't convery the audio without converting the video as well

timestoby

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2007
north devon,uk
yeah,wot players will play mkv anyway. besides a computer,but if it was for just to play on computer you could have just put on disc as data.

kubrickian2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
If it's just a regular mkv with ac3 5.1 track, visualhub will encode it and toast will burn it, in a quality that may not be perfect, but is better than standard dvd (i compared it to a dvd). However, if it comes with DTS 5.1, it just doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.