Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stefy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Hi,

I have an old Imac g4 lamp computer, bought in 2002 I believe, which I had fitted with a airport wi-fi card.
I'm having problems joining our office network, protected by a wpa personal password.
The computer sees the network and has no problem joining open networks but with this one (the only one that it should join actually!) I keep getting the message:

there was a problem joining the "such and such" network

The computer runs on Tiger and I always kept up with all the updates of the OS, I tried resetting the router and it didn't work.
Is it possible that the card, being old, does not support the wpa personal standard? Is there an update of the card software that I can download? And how can I see what version of the airport software I have installed?
I really don't want to lower the standard of security and I'd rather not add another cable if I can help it. Any ideas anyone?
Thanx!!!!!

Edit: I connected the computer to the internet via ethernet cable and downloaded the latest airport card software, but apparently my software was already up to date, so that obviously was not the problem.
Ready to throw Imac out the window though!!!!!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If you actually read the download notes, you would know that Airport firmware updaters sit in Utilities folder, and you have to install them by double clicking and reading instructions.

Apple is one of the very few vendors that supports WPA on 802.11b hardware.

However if you run a b device on your wifi, your wifi would slow down. I would run an ethernet cable.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
My PowerBook G3 (original Airport) connects to our Airport base station just fine. You have to ensure the router is set to G and B connections not "G only".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.