Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2001
Miami
I just came from my friend who owns an Mac store here in Caracas, he told me that looks like the G5 are coming in July, I asked him "how do you know?", he told me that Apple hasn't say anything but he is receiving clear signals about it. He is very deep in to Apple stuff. He is going to the US early July for a training program.

He told me that the last time that training program was obligatory for Apple dealers, it was for OSX 2 weeks before the official release. He told me that just happen when a significant change is coming up, like the new Powerbook (no even the iBook or the new iMac). On the other hand, there are not future espects of the future G4.

I could tell he is under the"shut-up" agreement. He sold me a dual G4 500 for $297, he is clearing stuck too.

That all I have to say, I hope is true, I can tell there is a lot of silence about it in the net and early deniels about upcoming G5's.

BTW, he was very concern about 64bit and OSX, he talked about that with every costumer and he told me something else "what else Apple could do in MW if the entire line have been upgraded? A new iPod?"

tortus

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2002
Los Angeles
Jeeez

I spoke to God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit last night and they told me that we would have the g5 by the end of this week.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, it is June and we should start gearing up the rumor machine for July. As much as I'd like to see it happen, I don't think we'll see G5s in MWNY. Can it already be a year since the last one and we're still talking about the same crap. I just hope Apple does something special.....

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Ok, let me get this straight. Your ananymous friend under the "shut up" agreement owns a mac store in Caracus. Ok, how many mac stores in Caracus are there?

I'd bet you just blew any cover he may have had.

This is why people end up going to jail... they say stupid stuff they shouldn't be saying to dumb-as-sh*t friends who don't know how to keep their mouths shut, or if they do open their mouths, don't know the first thing about "security."

No offense, but if you really have a rumor source like that, don't ***** ruin it by giving away his identity.

Geez.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Re: Jeeez

Originally posted by tortus
I spoke to God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit last night and they told me that we would have the g5 by the end of this week.

Wow, you too?! :rolleyes:

But seriously, this means about as much as that Apple Reseller telling me "G5's in July". Does he know? Most likely not. Either he's one of the hopefuls, or he's only saying that to get the curious ones off his back.

...or... it's the truth. Guess we'll find out in a couple months! There's always the chance that Apple calls the new PowerMacs the G5 just for the marketing edge.

P.S. Do you really think Apple's going to go after that guy? Noooooo. They don't have that kind of time on their hands. Now if the guy was passing around photos or actual specs, THEN that would turn Apple Legal's heads. But this is nothing but hearsay! Hardly worth their time.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2001
Miami
Originally posted by mcrain
Ok, let me get this straight. Your ananymous friend under the "shut up" agreement owns a mac store in Caracus. Ok, how many mac stores in Caracus are there?

I'd bet you just blew any cover he may have had.

This is why people end up going to jail... they say stupid stuff they shouldn't be saying to dumb-as-sh*t friends who don't know how to keep their mouths shut, or if they do open their mouths, don't know the first thing about "security."

No offense, but if you really have a rumor source like that, don't ***** ruin it by giving away his identity.

Geez.

1. I haven't say anything about a place called "Caracus", I think you are talking about "Caracas" that is the capital of Venezuela if you know what that is. There are about 10 Mac stores around here.

2. I haven't talk about any cover, he just mention a few things while we where replacing my old 400Mhz for a new dual 500.

3. His name is Carlos Balza, he is no anonimus, does his name make any diffrenece?

4. He didn't say any secret that broke any confidentiality agreement (shut-up agreement), he told me about signs. He had been working with Macs for more than 10 years now and he really have to know about the bussiness because for an international store bad desitions are terrible. Down here we do not charge $80 for replacing a battery.

5. mcrain, read things carefully, you are mentioning things that are not writting or even sugested. He doesn't know what is gonna happen, Apple didn't say anything to him, but he is putting togather some pieces of information that just resellers and tech support have access to.

Any way, would be good to have a G5 around just to see how that thing works. :)

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
I think it is very unlikey to get G5's this summer. Unless apple calls the 7470 a G5. cause that's prolly what will get released.

That is, unless there's yet another chip that we dont know about.....the G5....only in the powerMacs?

could happen :D

and mymemory...did your friend give permission to post his name? cause I wouldnt post a friend's name here...even with permission...and using info from apple that only some peopel have access to and making it public does violate their agreement. and they make it very clear in the initial agreement and put it in emails and such....if you get info its for you only, and nobody else.

whawho

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
Columbus, OH
Re: Jeeez

Ask him about an apple two button mouse w/ scroll wheel;)

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
My Mac reseller says G5's after the new year, Maybe January...of course he wants to unload his 800 Mhz G4's.

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.

Don't the new TiBooks and/or XServe use the 7470? I thought that was already out. I'm just posting this so I can get a reply cause I'm too lazy to go confirm/deny this on my own. Someone please do it for me so I can just hit refresh lol.

boobers

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2002
G5 seems likely

Well it seems likely since the imac and emac are both G4's. there isn't too much of a difference if you get the high end imac..especially if they put a 17" monitor on the imac in july. This creates doubt in the buyers mind..they look in their wallet and their is further doubt. The G5 needs to create the difference in the Macintosh line so their is no doubt. Put the 7470 in the imac and bring on the G5.
boobers:p

mymemory

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2001
Miami
Dude, there is not any broken agreement, again, we are putting pieces togather, that is all.

Personally, I see G5 more likely for january or december too, that is a very good season to clean up the stuck and lunch a new product when your pockets are empty.

I may see another boring MW coming up, like that one lats year when all we had was a 20GB iPod and a OSX upgrade (if I'm not wrong).

Obviusly I'm not exited about new stuff coming up because I canh hardly affort a new zip disc. :D

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
First I'd like to say this rant about rant Why r u people flaming others when it regards rumors (even if it is somewhat flawed) I mean even the iWalk people didn't even get flammed this much rant about rant. Ok now I'll get back to the topic. Now I don't have any "sources" but I think that its almost definite that a next Gen chip will be released by MWSF. If not Apple will one fall into a very deep pit and will spend another 5 years getting out of it. Now for which of the two MacWorlds it will be released at. At this point the max existing and rumored Mhz of the G4 is about 1.2mhz so if no Next Gen. chip is released at MWNY the iMac will be at 1ghz and the Powermac will be at 1.2. Only a 200 Mhz. gap which would result in another six months of developers whining (rightfully so) about how the powermas are pretty much the same as the iMac cept. a few additions. If a G5 comes out the speed would be around 1.4 w/ a greatly advanced Mobo (PCI-X 32/64bit,etc.)
which would please everyone round the board. Myself I'd definatly want to see a G5 this MWNY since I would then be able to get a new computer at MWSF :D (I plan on getting a Rev. B G5) since this G3 233 is starting to sputter.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Mcrain, I think you were unnecessarily quick to criticise our Venezuelan friend.

Saying "No offense, but if you really have a rumor source like that, don't ***** ruin it by giving away his identity" doesn't make any sense. If MyMemory had just written that 'a source' or some other inspecific, most people's reaction would have been to denounce his remark as BS.

Anyway, I don't think there's anything that makes an Apple reseller more party to information of this sort than we are. Often people on these boards watch things more closely, on the web and so on, than the resellers do!

For that matter, there's been a general 'faster G4s' attitude for the last couple of months since we've given up on G5s for the short term. Maybe the source has merely heard some rumours that are less up-to-date than those on Macrumors at the moment.....

:confused: Just a thought.

tortus

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2002
Los Angeles
Yup, you blew it

You should have waited another month for the new powermacs with the new architecture that supports DDR memory. Most rumor sites are pointing toward the new g4's being released in July. It is a great system that you bought, but the idea of buying any new system that does not support the latest memory is ludicrous. Unless, you get an excellent deal, or you absolutely need it. I have the luxury of waiting since I am still squeezing work out of my single 450 g4, but I don't even bother trying to do After Effects or any kind of rendering on this hog.

jazzman

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2002
mn
I guess if they maintain the 3k price and actually release them in quantity in July your are right but I too am using a G4 Sawtooth and it just doesn't cut it.

quanta

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Colorado
Ahhh, the pointlessness of it all...

Perhaps the big news for MWNY is the hostile takeover of Microsoft by Apple, which will result in a worldwide processor shake down.

Other than that i have no information to contribute.

... just like everyone else.....

Skandranon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2002
North Carolina
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish I could talk to Jesus. :(

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
Jazzman, Don't worry! I have a Dual 450 and it still kicks a$$! With a dual 1gig, you'll be set for years to come, don't worry! :D

mymemory

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2001
Miami
I just got my dual 500, I hope it last. With a dual 1Ghz I would be more than set. Actally I had a single 400 Mhz and cost me $297 for a dual 500. For sure a dual 1Ghz can be replaced for less than $300 in a future, just be nice to the owner of your closest Mac store:D they know lots of tricks.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by jazzman
Oh, oh. I just bought a dual gig today for $2400 cash, how did I do did I blow it?

but it doesn't have ddr ram which is twice as fast since it goes 133 mhz but reads on the rise and fall of the sine curve thus giving us 266 mhz...blah, blah, blah

actually, your machine is fast enough and the only thing that would really improve a powermac to a level worth turning heads in and outside of the mac world would be that G5 which will come

...but the argument is will it come this summer, this fall, or next year

my guess is next year, but i also played it safe on my guesses with g4 imac and apple surprised me by putting it out so soon and with an lcd to boot

so with that type of wow factor, apple could very well at least announce the G5 in july or call the next gen G4 a G5 (as mentioned above...for marketing purposes...look at the athlon 4...where was the athlon 2 and athlon 3?)...so apple has that right

if we have to have G4 machines in the pro arena and the consumer arena at the same time for six months, no big deal...the pro end always has the expandability features and more ports

just like we eventually knew apple could put G4 in imac, we know apple will have that G5...and maybe in july

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.