Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peheben

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before but I did a few searches without any luck of finding what I was looking for.

I've been contemplating about when to purchase an iMac and with the latest news saying an update isn't anytime real soon I've decided to look at the current refurbished units. The 3 main ones I've been looking at are:

24" 2.8GHz Duo with ATI Radeon Card
24" 2.8GHz Extreme with ATI Radeon Card
24" 3.0GHz Duo with NVIDIA Card

My question is this - is there some sort of rule of thumb to determine which graphics card is right for a particular user? I do your normal day to day activities (surf, word process, manage files, chat, etc) and might get into some gaming/movie editing at some point but by no means am I a PhotoShop type power user. Would the NVIDIA card be overkill for me?

Again I apologize in advance if this has already been addressed but now that I'm ready to move forward with my purchase I want to make sure I make the best decision.

Thanks.

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before but I did a few searches without any luck of finding what I was looking for.

I've been contemplating about when to purchase an iMac and with the latest news saying an update isn't anytime real soon I've decided to look at the current refurbished units. The 3 main ones I've been looking at are:

24" 2.8GHz Duo with ATI Radeon Card
24" 2.8GHz Extreme with ATI Radeon Card
24" 3.0GHz Duo with NVIDIA Card

My question is this - is there some sort of rule of thumb to determine which graphics card is right for a particular user? I do your normal day to day activities (surf, word process, manage files, chat, etc) and might get into some gaming/movie editing at some point but by no means am I a PhotoShop type power user. Would the NVIDIA card be overkill for me?

Again I apologize in advance if this has already been addressed but now that I'm ready to move forward with my purchase I want to make sure I make the best decision.

Thanks.

The ATi card has ben proven to run core image apps better than the Nvidia i.e. Final cut studio etc.

But the Nvidia card is signifigantly better then the ATi card at gaming.

Check out Barefeats and look at their benchmarks on this.

All in all id say the ATi card would be better for you overall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.