Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakew81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
I am looking to see if anybody has used the av cable setup for the ipod touch 2G to watch movies on their TV. I want to know how well the mpeg 4 files look once played on a larger screen. I want to play them on a 32 reg tv so its not a real big tv but I am guessing that the image might become really pixialated.

Thanks,

J

iMac-G5-Ranger

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2006
Great quality

I use handbrake to rip and compile straight from disk. I use the "ipod touch high rez" presets. With that you get max allowable for viewing on the touch which is 640 x 480. I use the component cable to connect from the ipod touch to the tv's...plasma 16 x 9 and older tv 4 x 3. On the old tv the ipod version is a higher resolution than that of the tv so you can see it will give you a perfect pic. On the plasma I find it hard at times to tell the difference between quality of original dvd to that of the the ipod version except the ipod version is slightly smaller in scale...just part of the conversion process but not enough to annoy you. Bottom line its great. I take it with me on trips and can plug into a hotel tv a lot of times. We take it in our 70's boler trailer when we go camping and hook it up to a 15 inch lcd tv and its wonderful thing for the grandkids when it rains.

M. Poirot

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2008
using component cable

I am looking to see if anybody has used the av cable setup for the ipod touch 2G to watch movies on their TV. I want to know how well the mpeg 4 files look once played on a larger screen. I want to play them on a 32 reg tv so its not a real big tv but I am guessing that the image might become really pixialated.

Thanks,

J

A friend of mine has an Apple AV cable so I tried some of my iTunes Store TV programmes and films from my iPod touch on a standard definition TV and it looked incredible!
:)

jakew81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Most of my files are DVD rips to avi then converted to mpeg 4 but I am not sure after all that it will look any good on a 32 inch and soon to be 42 inch LCD.

M. Poirot

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2008
What AV cable are people using?

Someone told me the Apple one was £90....Surely not?

You can buy it on Amazon for about £23-25. You need to buy the Apple one as the firmware in the iPod looks for a chip in the docks/cables. Only if it finds it will it allows audio/video to be played out. It's a little bit anti-competitive, but Apple would argue that it lets them guarantee that people always get the best possible viewing experience.

jakew81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
You can buy it on Amazon for about £23-25. You need to buy the Apple one as the firmware in the iPod looks for a chip in the docks/cables. Only if it finds it will it allows audio/video to be played out. It's a little bit anti-competitive, but Apple would argue that it lets them guarantee that people always get the best possible viewing experience.

That cant be right? Why would anyone buy the after market ones if they don't work no one would sell them?

M. Poirot

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2008
That cant be right? Why would anyone buy the after market ones if they don't work no one would sell them?

It's true. A colleague purchased a third party one and it did nothing-borrowed an Apple one and instantly it worked.

mrdonnelly

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008

Thanks,

J

Unless your a videophile, the quality is watchable, but not nice. Somewhere between VHS and DVD, and since the world is transitioning to Blu-Ray, which most have done in Japan, the quality is bad in comparison. Which is why Apple made AppleTV. Because the out cables for the iPod made everything look bad, and they needed a solution. I've never had pixelation from iTunes purchases, but on most of my videos, the quality is noticeably low.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.