Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
at present, ive hooked up 2 normal computer speakers to my 17" PB via the line out (headphone) jack. Ive been wanting to hook up 2 more speakrs, and was wondering how I'd go about doing that. Tryin to basically "pimp" out my work area. =)

Appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I've seen some wireless receivers for the computer and iPod that send a signal to the box which you can hook to your home stereo system. Having one of those hooked into a nice system would be great. I have a 600 watt Pioneer EX system with 8 speakers that would be pretty sweet but I just don't have the money to spend to get it hooked up and my roommate is always asleep and the college has an annoying "24 hour quiet hour" rule.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
oh - so wait. what ur saying is i hook up my PB to an amp and the amp to a speaker system ?

is it possible to hook the PB 17" to an amp?

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I've hooked it to my amp through the headphone jack before. You just need a Y splitter that ends in stereo RCA. I just use an old one I got with a Sound Blaster way back when I built my last PC but you can probably pick one up at Radio Shack or any electronics store like Best Buy for only a few bucks.

Versello

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2003
Yes, anything with a stereo out (be it an iPod, laptop, computer... walkman) can be hooked up to a stereo. As the aforementioned said, you just need a splitter to convert it to RCA (you can pick one up at Best Buy for $5).

As a matter of fact I have Klipsch Synergy SF-2's mated with a Klipsch Synergy 10" sub hooked to a pioneer amp / equalizer.

Nothing beats 1024 of peak speaker watt pwnage :p

Spizzo

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Pacific NW
or you can drop 100 bucks for a computer surround system at best buy or any computer store. Comes with a powered sub and all that jazz.

splitter is cheaper if u already have a nice audio setup otherwise get an all in one multimedia thing.

but if u want great audio, get the splitter but usb audio card. but then again if ur pimpin out ur work place i dont think ur work mates of boss will like blaring music...then again if you're the boss blare away

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
remember that the headphone jack is not the same as a line out.

Headphone jack: powered output
Line out jack: passive output (no power, just signal)

get a quality cable if you are going to put it into a receiver. If it is a crappy one, you could get a lot of loud hum or buzz.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
right, that's why I was trying to push for a quality cable if hooking into a receiver - because the PB only has a powered headphone jack.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
You may suffer ground=loop problems with the PowerBook, certainly you are connecting two independently earthed systems, and people have reported buzzes with some systems, I connect to my stereo via the splitter lead, and get no problems, but if I plug it into the ghetto blaster upstairs it buzzes like a bastard unless I disconnect the 17's psu.

You might want to invest in a USB audio interface, Eiderol do some really cheap ones that give you phono-to-phono connection directly into your amp.

It might not trouble you, but then again it might.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
thanks. i will definatley look into a usb audio.

what i was really hoping for is to buy the apple speakers, but someone told me those only work with iMacs and powermacs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.