Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonjamesm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
So I bought a macstyle a while ago... It was cool and did the job amazingly well.

I've started to use it more and more for work so I decided to make it look more professional and upgrade to a new mac style. (25 dollers)

I removed the old one, this left an unsightly amount of glue attached to the glossy side of my mac shell.

I emailed the company expresing my concern and seeking help.

They suggested I use Goo Gone.

Living in the UK - I ordered this product from the states. (10 dollers)

I applied the goo gone quite libirally as directed by the bottle, let it settle and then spent about an hour washing the glue off. It worked a treat and the goo had indeed gone.

I turened on my mac and then Sh*t my pants.

The LCD has now got some severe water damage. It has either seeped through the apple logo on the top, or sucked in through the bezle.

I'm gutted I took it to the apple store - their 700 pound solution left me thinkning about buying the new macs.

I've taken it to a normal computer shop and the guy reckons he can sort it out for 70 bucks simply by taking the thing apart and cleaning it.

What you guys think?

In short this post is just to advise anyone in the future about using a mac style and the removing it - the glue is very tough and hard to get off without the goo gone product.

I'll update and let you know if I a) either buy a new mac or B) see if the 70 pound option works.

EAP!

iKennett

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
So I bought a macstyle a while ago... It was cool and did the job amazingly well.

I've started to use it more and more for work so I decided to make it look more professional and upgrade to a new mac style. (25 dollers)

I removed the old one, this left an unsightly amount of glue attached to the glossy side of my mac shell.

I emailed the company expresing my concern and seeking help.

The suggested I use Goo Gone.

Living in the UK - I ordered this product from the states. (10 dollers)

I applied the goo gone quite libirally as directed by the bottle, let it settle and then spent about an hour washing the glue off. It worked a treat and the goo had indeed gone.

I turened on my mac and then Sh*t my pants.

The LCD has now got some severe water damage. It has either seeped through the apple logo on the top, or sucked in through the bezle.

I'm gutted I took it to the apple store - their 700 pound solution left me thinkning about buying the new macs.

I've taken it to a normal computer shop and the guy reckons he can sort it out for 70 bucks simple by taking the thing apart and cleaning it.

What you guys think?

In short this post is just to advise anyone in the future about using a mac style and the removing it - the glue is very tough and hard to get off without the goo gone product.

I'll update and let you know if I a) either buy a new mac or B) see if the 70 pound option works.

EAP!

Home Insurance? Just don't be so keen to tell them it was a 'cleaning' accident!

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
Can you not just take it apart urself and try and "clean" it as your guarantee is void or try and buy a new panel?

jonjamesm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
I'd rather they took it apart - I just watched a youtube video on how to do it and its way outta my league.

Its in the shop now, if he brakes a part whilst doing it he has to replace it, and if the LCD is goosed then I can buy a new one for him to install at 300 quid ish, overall cheaper than the apple store.

I would have let the wtaer evapourate and dry out over time but the goo gone is more like linseed oil - and I dont think it would have just dissapered.

I hope my mac is ok :( I'm using my girfriends VIAO now - and I keep hitting " instead of @ - makes me sad.

jonjamesm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
screen is fixed - but the goo gone went in through the superdrive and went over everything - Cleaned now but it needs a new superdive (internal) any one know where I can get my hands on a replacement

jonjamesm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
First off never soak a computer in anything liberally, it is never a good idea. You can buy superdrives with warranty from ifixit.com

YEah - thanks mate, by liberally I mean liquid on the affected area - and wiped off in less than a min. Alas its done now.

As for ifixit - thank you, I'll send my repair man to there if he comes up with a more expensive one.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
YEah - thanks mate, by liberally I mean liquid on the affected area - and wiped off in less than a min. Alas its done now.

As for ifixit - thank you, I'll send my repair man to there if he comes up with a more expensive one.

Gotcha, no offense was intended, hope you can get it sorted out quickly!

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
I have used several skins and never and a single spot of goo after removal.

Thanks for the heads up, I will stay completely way from the macstyles.

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
a little goo gone goes a long way but always put it on a towel then rub:(
Macstyles rock and never had anything left on the mac?

jonjamesm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Yeah MacStyles are fantastic - I'm surprised that no one has had glue on the book after removal - mine looked like a burn victim -

I work for a vinyl company and it was shocking to see such an aftermath when removing the skin. I imagine it was cause my book was white gloss - alum and black might in terms of adhesive stick-age.

to those that removed macstyles before what are your books - gloss? black or alum

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Mona Lisa from Decal Girl came off without even a spot of glue left behind.

100_0279.jpg

Swan Leader from Gelaskins came off clean too.

2793632198_782bdf15e2.jpg

I have had a few more from Gelaskins and they all came off clean.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Removing Glue

For the kids out there. If you wanna remove glue from almost any surface, I'd use Zippo lighter fluid or Swan lighter fuel - the liquid variety!!

In the past I've used it on my MacBook (white) to remove indelible ink, oil pastels smudges, even airborne stray bits of 'Photo Mount' and 'Spray Mount' which is also GLUE! Stickers which I've applied and later removed.

What I'd do is use a disposable cloth, microfibre if you have one, ideally something soft so it doesn't cause any scratches; such as a old t-shirt/rag. Apply an amount of lighter fluid to your cleaning cloth and dentally work on the surface to be cleaned. If there's lots of glue on the surface, you'd might like to apply the lighter fluid directly onto the Mac.

It leaves no residue, as it'll evaporate! Just be sure your machine isn't on or powered up! And your not prancing around, using it while smoking!! You don't wanna be causing a house fire!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.