Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OwenHughes86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Hi there,

I work as a broadcast cameraman in the UK - and for those of you who don't know broadcast camera viewfinders work in black and white. This can be problematic when lighting certain situations and you want to check colour balances etc. Usually a colour monitor would be used but these can be big heavy things that frankly I don't want to lug everywhere with me (the camera is heavy enough!).

I got to thinking that the iPod Touch's hi-resolution screen would be perfect as a lightweight solution to this. I was wondering if an app exists where-by I can connect my ipod to the camera using the available composite or component cables and view video-in (as opposed to the video-out that said cables are designed for).

I'm not even sure if that is logistically possible; but thought it's worth an ask. Especially if it means I can carry a preview monitor around in my pocket as opposed to the big back breaking things I currently use.

Thanks in advance.

Owen

M. Poirot

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2008
Hi there,

I work as a broadcast cameraman in the UK - and for those of you who don't know broadcast camera viewfinders work in black and white. This can be problematic when lighting certain situations and you want to check colour balances etc. Usually a colour monitor would be used but these can be big heavy things that frankly I don't want to lug everywhere with me (the camera is heavy enough!).

I got to thinking that the iPod Touch's hi-resolution screen would be perfect as a lightweight solution to this. I was wondering if an app exists where-by I can connect my ipod to the camera using the available composite or component cables and view video-in (as opposed to the video-out that said cables are designed for).

I'm not even sure if that is logistically possible; but thought it's worth an ask. Especially if it means I can carry a preview monitor around in my pocket as opposed to the big back breaking things I currently use.

Thanks in advance.

Owen

I don't believe it's possible officially or un-officially. I have to say that it would be fantastic if it did work!

OwenHughes86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Yeh - would be awesome. Anybody have the ability to officially or un-officially make this happen?

M. Poirot

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2008
i got exactly the same question - is there any way?

might happen as I've just seen a japanese video of someone who's hooked an external keyboard to an iPhone. If you can get text input, maybe someone will be able to get video input.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
The only thing that I can think of that comes close to this, is using VNC to wirelessly view an other computer's video output.

The technology exists to stream video wirelessly, however I think Sync problems would be the issue. I doubt that the video subsystem is wired to accept video input (turn the iPod into a monitor), however there are many products on the market that do have this functionality. Sadly, it would mean carrying an other device with you though!

image.php

OwenHughes86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Yeh - the streaming idea is something that someone had suggested but it isn't really practical for location filming.

I've spoken to some guys who develop applications for the iPod Touch and they tell me that (from their perspective at lease) it is very unlikely that something could be developed, as Apple do not give software developers access to the hardware of the device. So I guess only Apple could do this.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Although the Touch isn't going to be the solution, there are 5" to 7" and larger LCD monitors out there that could be used. Most use 12vDC as they are intended to be used in cars. I use a 7" LCD as my monitor when videotaping, and power it with an AC>12vDC adapter I found at Radio Shack. I found it very easy to mount on my tripod as it's designed to be mounted in a car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.