Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
i took my macbook to the genius bar today, and showed them my loose battery cover and slanty function keys, they promptly replaced it with a perfect (knock on wood) new one. just thought i'd let everyone know who are considering having their's replaced for these issues, they usually give you no problem at all.

bartoszbr

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2008
my macbook has a loose battery cover as well - it's making the clicking noise when I'm typing.

I was hoping they would only replace the cover for me as I already have lots of stuff on my laptop.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
just thought i'd let everyone know who are considering having their's replaced for these issues, they usually give you no problem at all.

I'm glad you got your replacement, but as has been proven many times on these forums, YMMV. There are numerous factors as to why you may or may not get a replacement for issues such as these. Apple has done exchanges for lesser problems, and have denied exchanges for greater problems.

To say they "usually give you no problem at all" is completely misleading, based on your one experience.

iMac430

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2008
my macbook has a loose battery cover as well - it's making the clicking noise when I'm typing.

I was hoping they would only replace the cover for me as I already have lots of stuff on my laptop.

I had a white MacBook repleaced for a faulty screen. They even upgraded my machine (a 2.2 GHz, November 2007 revision) with a new early '08 2.4GHz revision. (This was a few months ago in August. I talked to the head genius at my local Apple store. I said I was going to college in two days and I couldn't send it it. He just replaced my machine for free. In addition to getting a slightly upgraded model, my warranty is a whole new year - until August 2009 instead of December 2008. I upgarded the stock hard drive and the RAM to 4GB. He just took my new hard drive and RAM and swaped it with the new machine and gave me a new box with the new install discs, I was out of the store in 30 minutes.

.... Make sure you backup your data so it can be restored incase they give you a new machine. They will probably just swap out your hard drive in a new machine, but just incase, make sure you backup everything before going to the store, and bring your purchase receipt and AC adapter - everything that came with your machine. Good luck.

ChazDaSpaz

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008
Would Apple Store let you open up the boxes and check to see if the MacBook has any imperfections? Including dead pixels?

eye.surgeon

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
California
I had mine replaced for a bent corner on the cardboard box it came in. Also the polishing cloth wasn't perfectly symmetrical-- totally unacceptable. I had them open up 8 in the store until I found the perfect one.

LedCop

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
I had mine replaced for a bent corner on the cardboard box it came in. Also the polishing cloth wasn't perfectly symmetrical-- totally unacceptable. I had them open up 8 in the store until I found the perfect one.

LOL! Err... 8 boxes until you finally found a perfectly symmetrical polishing cloth? Maybe I should put off my MacBook Pro purchase. :(

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC

LOL

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Would Apple Store let you open up the boxes and check to see if the MacBook has any imperfections? Including dead pixels?

i had a chance to look at it only after my hard drive and old battery were already in it. luckily it was all good though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.