Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
Looking for a good controller, mainly for use with Windows games, but Mac functionality would be nice too.

USB or Wireless doesn't really matter. (I guess they both take up a USB port, right? If so, I assume a controller with a cable is more reliable in terms of speed?)

Price is not an issue.

For use with games like Far Cry 2, Assassin's Creed etc ...

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
the xbox 360 controller works very well. Either the wired or wireless with the usb wireless adaptor. Works with windows out of the box and OSX with a 3rd party driver.

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
the xbox 360 controller works very well. Either the wired or wireless with the usb wireless adaptor. Works with windows out of the box and OSX with a 3rd party driver.

OK, thanks for the heads up!

Is the difference (wired/wireless) noticeable?

rikoshay

macrumors member
I recently purchased a Razer DeathAdder mouse, mainly for better control in games, replacing the Kensington Expert Mouse (trackball) that I'd been using. Now, I can understand all of the glowing reviews I'd read. For example, see: http://insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=958.

Numerous programmable features, along with instantaneous sensitivity control, on-the-fly. I'm now using it all of the time, for all of my mousing needs. Check it out.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

I go with the 360 controller. I bought my first 360 controller for my PC before I owned a 360. It is just a good game controller for computers.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Another vote for the X360 controller, and wireless just because it's, um, wireless, like my Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse. I have no interest in the X360 (or consoles in general), but the 'Games for Windows' thing means that many games work great with the controller without having to do any fiddling around at all. Fallout 3, for example ... I could just plug and play ... and recall why I play keyboard & mouse for FPS-style games :D

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
vote for xbox360 wireless controller

wireless works with no problem at all and its convenient

the controller itself is just really well made strong and right shape and size probably the best ive used ever

works with all new pc stuff and many older games - bit case by case

there is also a driver for osx but its not very compatible for me i usually use bootcamp for games anyway

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.